A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: hardstation on March 18, 2019, 12:16:03 PMIf people are pissed off about a banner supporting Irish unity

I'm pissed off about the crass of "get the English out".

A new inclusive United Ireland? (except if you are English in which case f**k off?)
i usse an speelchekor

yellowcard

Massive own goal by SF in marching behind that banner. The DUP have embarrassed themselves in the last few years and have done more to advance the cause of Irish unity than SF have ever managed.

And then you get Mary Lou making a very poor judgement call that does nothing to help the cause, sometimes you have to wonder about the intelligence of these politicians.

trailer

The fact that it must be explained to a lot of people what is wrong shows that we've a long way to go.

trailer

Quote from: yellowcard on March 18, 2019, 12:36:14 PM
Massive own goal by SF in marching behind that banner. The DUP have embarrassed themselves in the last few years and have done more to advance the cause of Irish unity than SF have ever managed.

And then you get Mary Lou making a very poor judgement call that does nothing to help the cause, sometimes you have to wonder about the intelligence of these politicians.

The leadership of Sinn Fein has been appointed because they do what they're told not because they're intelligent.

LCohen

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 18, 2019, 09:36:42 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on March 16, 2019, 10:49:17 PM
Mary Lou marching behind an 'England get out of Ireland' banner.  That's embarrassing.  All SF have to do is keep their mouths shut and let the DUP get the bigots prize, but they always manage something offensive.
Away and boil your head. England/ Brits out of Ireland is the fundamental principal of SF what do you expect.

It's the fundamental principle of all unionist parties that they should not surrender to the IRA. I think that if a party leader chose to march behind that banner they would be rightly condemned. Mary Lou is no better

LCohen

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 18, 2019, 09:40:57 AM
Quote from: Raginbull on March 17, 2019, 11:34:11 AM
Mary Lou marching behind an 'England get out of Ireland' banner.  That's embarrassing.  All SF have to do is keep their mouths shut and let the DUP get the bigots prize, but they always manage something offensive.

The Shinners have played this entire brexit thing horribly from the start. Constantly bleating on about a border poll has resulted in the extreme unionists coming to the fore again and digging their heels in. Its quite conceivable that if the british leave the EU that scotland will leave the UK and NI would follow. Mary Lou doesn't seem to realise or care that even though she may get a majority in the North for a UI, if there is even a possible sniff of hassle for the south she won't get it here. People in the south are not going to suck up the initial financial hit and have the UDA planting bombs in Dublin. The best thing that SF could do is get the assembly open again, do their utmost to work with the unionists, remove as much as possible the hatred between the two and wait for the general population to get pissed off importing goods from, or going through customs checks in france, germany, spain etc and decide the benefits of the EU outweigh any of being in the UK.
If some wee UDA sc**bag is going to plant bombs round Dublin, Sinn Fein playing nice with the DUP isn't going to stop it.

It's funny that when the wee IRA scumbags stopped planting bombs around Belfast, London etc etc (for it was a lengthy list) the unionism starting playing nice

LCohen

Quote from: hardstation on March 18, 2019, 12:16:03 PM
I don't follow the logic.
It's as if Nationalists should pretend they don't want Irish unity in order to trick Unionists into it.
Sinn Fein's very being is founded on the removal of England from Ireland. Do you honestly believe that that will be completely overlooked by Unionists if Sinn Fein just keep their head down? Do you honestly believe that Sinn Fein standing behind that banner is an obstacle to Irish unity? If people are pissed off about a banner supporting Irish unity, those same people are hardly likely to back Irish unity themselves.

Surely the type of Ireland that is being created will influence whether people aspire to be in it?

Mary Lou's Ireland doesn't look that attractive

johnnycool

Quote from: LCohen on March 18, 2019, 01:01:32 PM

The Shinners have played this entire brexit thing horribly from the start. Constantly bleating on about a border poll has resulted in the extreme unionists coming to the fore again and digging their heels in. Its quite conceivable that if the british leave the EU that scotland will leave the UK and NI would follow. Mary Lou doesn't seem to realise or care that even though she may get a majority in the North for a UI, if there is even a possible sniff of hassle for the south she won't get it here. People in the south are not going to suck up the initial financial hit and have the UDA planting bombs in Dublin. The best thing that SF could do is get the assembly open again, do their utmost to work with the unionists, remove as much as possible the hatred between the two and wait for the general population to get pissed off importing goods from, or going through customs checks in france, germany, spain etc and decide the benefits of the EU outweigh any of being in the UK.
If some wee UDA sc**bag is going to plant bombs round Dublin, Sinn Fein playing nice with the DUP isn't going to stop it.

It's funny that when the wee IRA scumbags stopped planting bombs around Belfast, London etc etc (for it was a lengthy list) the unionism starting playing nice

Tony Blair had to force Unionists to play nice, but that didn't last long and they've reverted to type.

marty34

It's as if Nationalists should pretend they don't want Irish unity in order to trick Unionists into it.
Sinn Fein's very being is founded on the removal of England from Ireland. Do you honestly believe that that will be completely overlooked by Unionists if Sinn Fein just keep their head down? Do you honestly believe that Sinn Fein standing behind that banner is an obstacle to Irish unity? If people are pissed off about a banner supporting Irish unity, those same people are hardly likely to back Irish unity themselves.

Totally agree HS.  It's like the 60's and 70's - nationalists just keep your head down, hide all symbols of Irishness and don't rock the boat and unionists might give you a few crumbs from the table.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: hardstation on March 18, 2019, 12:42:50 PM
You are making stuff up to get offended at.

I'm not offended by it - I'm f**ked off at their (continued) stupidity.

People that already don't trust SF or hold them in high regard are going to see what in that? Your talk of the English establishment? Or that SF want an Ireland where only their people are welcome?

i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: hardstation on March 18, 2019, 01:38:00 PM
They stand in front of Ulster is British posters all the time and there is never a word about it.
Wise up ffs.

... and how many nationalists have they had to convince their future would be better off in voting for them in a border poll?
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: hardstation on March 18, 2019, 01:45:42 PM
An Ireland with England out of it isn't attractive? I'm not sure what your version of Irish unity looks like but England being out of it would be a prerequisite for mine thank you very much.

You are either being deliberately thick... or are actually thick.

Not sure which.
i usse an speelchekor

LCohen

Quote from: johnnycool on March 18, 2019, 01:30:58 PM
Quote from: LCohen on March 18, 2019, 01:01:32 PM

Tony Blair had to force Unionists to play nice, but that didn't last long and they've reverted to type.

I don't think you could reasonably argue that a majority of unionists don't buy into power Sharing

LCohen

Quote from: marty34 on March 18, 2019, 01:34:30 PM

Totally agree HS.  It's like the 60's and 70's - nationalists just keep your head down, hide all symbols of Irishness and don't rock the boat and unionists might give you a few crumbs from the table.

You hardly need trace elements of intelligence to work out that the objection to Mary Lou walking behind that banner was that it was a symbol of Irishness and any symbol of irishness is objectionable

LCohen

Quote from: hardstation on March 18, 2019, 01:38:00 PM
Quote from: LCohen on March 18, 2019, 12:58:50 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 18, 2019, 09:36:42 AM
Away and boil your head. England/ Brits out of Ireland is the fundamental principal of SF what do you expect.

It's the fundamental principle of all unionist parties that they should not surrender to the IRA. I think that if a party leader chose to march behind that banner they would be rightly condemned. Mary Lou is no better
They stand in front of Ulster is British posters all the time and there is never a word about it.
Wise up ffs.

Such juvenile posting. All symbols of unionism cannot be equated to No Surrender and all symbols of irishness cannot be equated to England Out. As I say trace elements.....