Adiós Frank Lohan

Started by Roashter, October 04, 2008, 09:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roashter

End of era as Lohan calls time on career (Irish Independent)

The last remaining member of Clare's ground-breaking 1995 All-Ireland winning team has retired with Frank Lohan confirming he's hanging up his boots.

And Niall Gilligan admitted yesterday that he is thinking about following Lohan into retirement.

Lohan's retirement now means that not one of the 1995 team will figure in Clare's hurling squad in 2009. Lohan (33) said it was always his intention to walk away at the end of 2008 and admitted he would have done it 12 months ago if 2007 had been better.

He was captain then in a turbulent year that saw manager Tony Considine clash with the County Board over a range of issues and at odds with Davy Fitzgerald over training schedules.

"I'm glad I came back for 2008 because the previous year had gone to so bad," said Lohan. "We recovered ground this year. We were disappointed with the way we played against Tipperary in the Munster final and we felt we should have beaten Cork but at least our stock is higher than it was."

Gilligan says he has no firm decision made yet but thinks the commitment to 2009 is something he may not be able to deliver.

"My mind isn't made up completely yet but I'm thinking that way," he said.

slow corner back

A fine, tough , player from a fine tough team, 1995 vintage. Time waits for no man though and Frank can walk off with his head high and many happy memories. If Gilligan goes too it will leave leave a large gap at either end of the field for Clare to fill.

Lecale2

All the best Frank. You gave it all you had.

orangeman

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 04, 2008, 07:39:24 PM
All the best Frank. You gave it all you had.
[/b]

And the rest as well !!!

A legend - it was a pleasure to see the 2 boys together !

Minder

There are very few of his type now.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

the mans a legend. pure and simple,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

theskull1

No such thing as blowing hot or cold from either of the lohans. Consistency in attitude and application every time. You just can't beat having steady eddies like that in you're team and he was one of the rocks of the clare team. An equal with his big bro IMO. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on October 06, 2008, 12:31:09 AM
No such thing as blowing hot or cold from either of the lohans. Consistency in attitude and application every time. You just can't beat having steady eddies like that in you're team and he was one of the rocks of the clare team. An equal with his big bro IMO. 

Consistent thundering tackles as well ! Brian was probably the better of the two - but this is about Frank - a class act altoogether.

Did anybody see Laochra Gael show about Joe Cooney yesterday ? Another class act.

Minder

Quote from: orangeman on October 06, 2008, 09:04:32 AM

Consistent thundering tackles as well ! Brian was probably the better of the two - but this is about Frank - a class act altoogether.

Did anybody see Laochra Gael show about Joe Cooney yesterday ? Another class act.

No, is it repeated?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Quote from: Minder on October 06, 2008, 09:23:29 AM
Quote from: orangeman on October 06, 2008, 09:04:32 AM

No, is it repeated?

It will be repeated - Joe was some hurler - it shows him still playing club hurling up until a couple of years ago I think - a serious hurler for club and county - played from 1986 - 2000 I think for Galway - some service.

Ash Smoker

Frank was always a great corner back.
Reliable and rarely cleaned out.