A tribute to Offaly Hurling

Started by Maroon Heaven, January 11, 2008, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

Jaysus Found this olde film on Offaly hurling on the net and it brought a tear to my eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl1ITpHVaVk

Its like watching an olde episode of Glenroe - Both were great in their day but will never make a come back.

Kevin

tayto

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on January 11, 2008, 09:20:38 PM
Its like watching an olde episode of Glenroe - Both were great in their day but will never make a come back.

Offaly will be back at some stage I'm sure.

Bord na Mona man

Jaysus Found this olde film on Offaly hurling on the net and it brought a tear to my eye.

Maroon,
the Wastemeath equivalent would have no shortage of potential musical accompaniment, with such greats like Joe Dolan, Foster and Allen, TR Dallas, Ray Lynam etc. Unfortunately finding any footage to make any clips would beat the best of movie makers.  ;D

AZOffaly

See the Sunday Worst yesterday??? :D :D :D

Maroon Heaven

Here is a liitle fact that I thought I should share with the likes of AZ & BNM

Offaly have 7 Neighbouring Counties. All seven of those Counties have won a piece of Gaa Silverwear in the last 4 years

Meath - Leinster Minor - 06
Kildare - Leinster U21 - 04
WESTMEATH - LEINSTER 04
Roscommon - AI Minor 06
Galway - AI Minor 07
Tipp - AI Minor 07 (Hurling)
Laois - Leinster u-21 07

We have to go back to the dizzy heights of a Leinster Junior Football Title in 2001 to witness Offaly's last great Hoorah.

May I also add that I am not forgetting the Numerious All Ireland that Offaly have in the Bag - but as we all know we live for today and we don't go round parading about the fine young thing we went out with 18 years ago. Its the last one that counts.

Bord na Mona man

What's the significance of bordering counties?
Kerry won the senior football and Kilkenny won the hurling All Irelands last year. Why not add them to the list also?

It's only small minders and small timers like yourself who spend their time peering over the garden fence seeing if their neighbour drives a better car than them.

Maroon Heaven

Sorry BNM I was just doing a study on the relationship between "Hot Air" and "matter of fact". I merely correlated the difference between the two and now have a Big Bar Chart Done. I happened to pick Offaly as it is surrounded by a shed load of counties and I always like to pick a county that has no tourist attractions.

I hope to enter my finding in next Years Young Scientists in the Physic Category

johnneycool

I wonder why he included the Loughgeile St Ryanaghs program considering that St Rynaghs lost after a replay in Casement park!!

AZOffaly

Wow Maroon Heaven. That's earth shattering stuff. If you hadn't told us that, I'd never have guess we hadn't won anything in ages. And I thought we were doing brilliantly.

Mind you, I notice you conveniently had it at the last 4 years, which allows your bunch of hype merchants to get on the list. What was that you said about
Quotewe live for today and we don't go round parading about the fine young thing we went out with 18 years ago.

It's still okay to go around 'parading' about the fine-ish young thing ye went out (once) with 4 years ago? Westmeath, the one night stand wonders.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on January 14, 2008, 01:49:47 PM
I wonder why he included the Loughgeile St Ryanaghs program considering that St Rynaghs lost after a replay in Casement park!!

I think he's a Rynaghs man, and that was a Rynaghs' Leinster Club year.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 14, 2008, 01:53:16 PM

Mind you, I notice you conveniently had it at the last 4 years, which allows your bunch of hype merchants to get on the list. What was that you said about
Quotewe live for today and we don't go round parading about the fine young thing we went out with 18 years ago.

Well there is the Christy Ring Cup we won last year and 2005 but I was holding them for next year in case Leinster eludes us

Loughers

Birr won a little bit of silverware some weeks ago.  Leinster Senior Hurling Champions 2007/08.

his holiness nb

No offence to Offaly (and when one says no offence it is 99% guaranteed to be followed by something offensive) but why would anyone be arsed having a grudge against Offaly?
Maroon?
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

Neighbours hnb, neighbours. And we have 7 of the feckers. But we're nice, modest chaps and don't feel the need to rub our superiority in their faces :D