A tribute to Offaly Hurling

Started by Maroon Heaven, January 11, 2008, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 14, 2008, 07:41:42 PM
Neighbours hnb, neighbours. And we have 7 of the feckers. But we're nice, modest chaps and don't feel the need to rub our superiority in their faces :D

I would have many ways of describing Biffos but nice and modest chaps wouldn't be one of those ways   :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

his holiness nb

Neighbours hnb, neighbours. And we have 7 of the feckers. But we're nice, modest chaps and don't feel the need to rub our superiority in their faces :D

Offaly will be ruling the world soon with Brian Cowen and Barack Obama in charge  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

timmykelleher

Is Moneygall in Offaly or Tipperary?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

AZOffaly

Moneygall is in County Offaly.

However, as part of a deal done years ago by some parish priest or something, Moneygall play their hurling in Tipperary, while Carrick and Riverstown play in Offaly. (At least half that parish is in Tipp).

his holiness nb

Quote from: timmykelleher on January 16, 2008, 09:38:22 AM
Is Moneygall in Offaly or Tipperary?

Dont you dare doubt my holy word Timmy, didnt you hear us Dubs travel very well  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 15, 2008, 09:48:20 AM

Offaly will be ruling the world soon with Brian Cowen and Barack Obama in charge  ;)

I tell you what if that mug - Big Lips Cowen with his highway to Tullamore ever gets elected President of United States, we'll be seeing starbucks in Edenderry, McDonalds in Clara, Disneyland Rhode and the European Headquarters of the Ford Corporation in Clonbullogue. Jobs for the boys and always has been.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 14, 2008, 06:45:11 PM
No offence to Offaly (and when one says no offence it is 99% guaranteed to be followed by something offensive) but why would anyone be arsed having a grudge against Offaly?
Maroon?

Would you be happy with Seamus Darby coming to your school unanounced with Sam Maguire in the winter of '82 and it freezing outside. Our Headmaster was from Kerry and didn't think too kindly of it either.

AZOffaly

Did you go to the bridge Maroon Heaven? If so, then it wouldn't be that awful in fairness. With all the Rhode lads and Ballybrien lads around there, and he being from Rhode, it wouldn't be unusual. Maybe Darby thought it was all organised. He probably got asked to do it and didn't think anything else of it.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 17, 2008, 11:52:43 AM
Did you go to the bridge Maroon Heaven? If so, then it wouldn't be that awful in fairness. With all the Rhode lads and Ballybrien lads around there, and he being from Rhode, it wouldn't be unusual. Maybe Darby thought it was all organised. He probably got asked to do it and didn't think anything else of it.

As an innocent 8 year at the time it was the first time I ever saw bare face check.

At least with Liam Hayes you felt he worked hard for it.

What is Darby up to now anyway. I heard he has a pub in Manchester

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on January 17, 2008, 11:57:49 AM

As an innocent 8 year at the time it was the first time I ever saw bare face check.

And as a Westmeath man, probably the only time Sam was in the county :D

Darby is running a pub I think. he had one in Borrisokane, not sure if that's still there.

Wre you in school in Rochfortbridge?

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 17, 2008, 12:04:37 PM
Quote from: Maroon Heaven on January 17, 2008, 11:57:49 AM

And as a Westmeath man, probably the only time Sam was in the county :D

Darby is running a pub I think. he had one in Borrisokane, not sure if that's still there.

Wre you in school in Rochfortbridge?

I was.

AZOffaly

Then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. It was obviously a bit cheeky but, with the Offaly lads in the schools there, I'd say he was asked to go and no-one told the Principal.

If you were 8 in 1982, you're about my vintage. I probably know you. I would have spent a lot of time in the bridge during summer holidays. My cousins and Grandparents were all in the bridge/dalystown. I'd have known lads like Ken Gunning, David Tone, Chris Colgan, Alan Gavin, Archie and a few others.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 17, 2008, 12:11:57 PM
Then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. It was obviously a bit cheeky but, with the Offaly lads in the schools there, I'd say he was asked to go and no-one told the Principal.

If you were 8 in 1982, you're about my vintage. I probably know you. I would have spent a lot of time in the bridge during summer holidays. My cousins and Grandparents were all in the bridge/dalystown. I'd have known lads like Ken Gunning, David Tone, Chris Colgan, Alan Gavin, Archie and a few others.

All good footballers (apart from Tone). Surprised none of them did anything for their county. David Brennan was probably the best we had from Rhode. Then he got intop some fight with Colgan and went off to Edenderry.

AZOffaly

Sure didn't ye get David Mitchell as well. His family moved to the bridge, but sure he's a good Offaly man :D

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 17, 2008, 12:16:50 PM
Sure didn't ye get David Mitchell as well. His family moved to the bridge, but sure he's a good Offaly man :D

In the same way as McManus is a Good Westmeath Man??

Its a credit to Luke Dempsey and the St Joseph's footballing Acadamy for rolling out so many talented footballers and doing what few schools in Offaly are doing