Offaly V Kilkenny

Started by Fishead_Sam, June 10, 2007, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead_Sam

Jaz great entertainment so far, Damien Muray & Henry Shefflin on fire.

corn02

Hurling showing well today, first match was a cracker and the first half of Offaly game is just as good. I still expect Kilkenny to have at least 5 points to spare at the death.

thejuice

Mullins is a class keeper, he made a point blank save that has kept this game competitive. Offaly need to come out firing on all cylinders cause everyone knows what the cats are like. Cody will tear the arse of them in the dressing room.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Fishead_Sam

Game so far.

Comaford started strong with two early pints,

Brendan Murphy scored Offalys first score after about 3 minutes.

Shefflin scored a few early points for Kilkenny & a short free from Damine Murray & another offaly player scored early from play.

Early on Kilkenny was getting alot of open space but Offaly seem to have tightend up with a 3'rd midfielder.  I though Ger Oakley for Offaly was getting roasted early on but coming into the game.

Eddie Brennan got a point after about 18-20 min mark, few more scores from play for Shefflin.

Damien Murray scores another free.

Rory Hannify nearly connects with a dropping ball, could have scored a goal for Offaly but it wnet wide.

Cha & Murray both score again.

Fogarty came close to score a goal, think Martin Comaford gave it to him, fantastic save from Brian Mullens in goal for Offaly.

Late in the first half Shefflin knocked a sweet pass right accross the pitch to let Lyng score on the opposite wing at ease.

Too many wides for Offaly so far.

Brian Hogan ticked after about 30 minutes, Damien Murray scores the resulting free for Offaly.

Martin Cordial come on.

Cha Fitzpatrick scores a second, nice point.

Damien Murray scores yet another point.

Fogarty scores from play.

PENO, GOAL on 35'th minute from Damien Murray looks like he is on 1 Goal & 7 points @ the moment, mostly frees + peno.

Fishead_Sam

That goal from Eoin Larkin has finished this came as a contest I think, Shefflin in at full forward will open Offaly up even more since his switch.

Have to say before that though @ about the 45'th minute mark Martin Cordial scored an unbelieveable score for Offaly, intercepted a ball near midfield then came through two Kilkenny players while falling managed to point from about the half-way line.

thejuice

Offaly just cant score from play. Kilkenny seem to have players who can score in almost every position. Its not from lack of effort from Offaly they just dont have the players to score except in the forward line who have hardly got a sniff of the sliotar.

As for the Cats, well they're just awesome.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Fishead_Sam

Final Score
Kilkenny 1.27
Offaly     1.13

Derek Molloy sent off in the 69'th minute for a second yellow card, bit harsh.

Will the Final be played in Croker, I'd say there will be no more that 15,000 at the Leinster Hurling Final, if you where a Wexford fan ou couldn't hold much hope, a Kilkenny fan you might not see the point & a neutral might save his/her money for Dublin V Meath, Cork V Waterford, Tyrone V Donegal etc.

Hardy

Michael Duignan is one of the best pundits on TV in any sport.

Bord na Mona man

Offaly gave it hell for leather for the first half and put in a great effort in for the most part in putting it up to Kilkenny. Kilkenny's score taking from open play was the difference. The Offaly forward line scored two points from play all day.

Offaly had to work really hard for scores. Most of them frees, which doesn't help forwards get the confidence boost of getting the score from open play. The ref clamped down on Kilkenny tactics of the hurl around the neck, or the push in the back under the dropping ball which helped Offaly.

Offaly had Kilkenny in a fluster at the end of the first half when they withdrew Brian Carroll from the full forward line and moved him to the half backs. Their keeper felt he had to play short puck outs to Jackie Tyrell who then delivered clearances to roughly where the puck out would had landed. However with Bergin and Murray not gaining possession against the 3 man Kilkenny defence, it amounted to a stalemate.

Martin Comerford had the better of Paul Cleary, especially for getting to the ball first. Ger Oakley came into the game really well and David Kenny hurled well at centre back, even though Shefflin did get scores.

Kilkenny used the ball better, made clearance that gave the forwards a good chance and stuck over their scores from all kinds of angles.

Up front, when marquee forwards like Joe Bergin and Rory Hanniffy get taken off well before the end, it sums up the bad day Offaly's scorers had.
To have given Kilkenny a game for at least a half is some semblance of an improvement. However Offaly let them score too heavily when they got on top. Once the goal was conceded, Offaly were a beaten docket. Offaly also lost their discipline as the game drew to a close. A couple of silly strokes went in that might have gotten red cards on another day. While its important not to get bullied by a very robust Kilkenny side, it's important not to get indisciplined.

Kilkenny were probably casual enough about this game. It might be no harm if they no longer feel every clash against Offaly is an occasion for getting revenge for previous defeats.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 10, 2007, 05:38:24 PM
Final Score
Kilkenny 1.27
Offaly     1.13

Derek Molloy sent off in the 69'th minute for a second yellow card, bit harsh.

Will the Final be played in Croker, I'd say there will be no more that 15,000 at the Leinster Hurling Final, if you where a Wexford fan ou couldn't hold much hope, a Kilkenny fan you might not see the point & a neutral might save his/her money for Dublin V Meath, Cork V Waterford, Tyrone V Donegal etc.

The Leinster Hurling Final is to be a double header in Croke Park along with Laois v Wexford/Louth in the Football semi final
You'll Never Walk Alone.

timmykelleher

"The ref clamped down on Kilkenny tactics of the hurl around the neck, or the push in the back under the dropping ball which helped Offaly."

Is this what Cody was complaining about?
How can he get away with the comments about the ref without censure?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Billys Boots

Even in the first half, Kilkenny never looked uncomfortable - when they moved up a gear Offaly didn't have any answers.  Looks like KK won't have to peak until a lot later in the summer now - can Wexford make them really work at all?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

For a short time, Kilkenny were rattled. They were giving out to the ref, and getting narky. I do think they moved up through the gears, and we fell off the pace.

Still a more promising outing for 40-45 minutes from Offaly, maybe the worst has passed.

fearglasmor

Not so sure.

It had the glaze of an improvement but not really the substance. Definitely better in terms of effort or passion if that what you want to call it. But in terms of ability it didn't look any different. If put to the pin of their collar I am sure Kilkenny could replicate the final 35 minutes over a full 70. Still don't see much joy for Offaly in the qualifiers.

Maybe I'm just a miserable bastard.

INDIANA

after the top4 i think the rest are much of  amuchness- offaly made kilkenny work for it has to be better for them than 2 years ago- only  3 other teams can live with kilkenny shouldn;t be too disappointed