AI series (Qualifiers)

Started by johnneycool, June 23, 2014, 09:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 06, 2014, 12:34:16 AM
Tipp much stronger with paudie maher out in the half back line. He's too aggressive for full back.

That was a switch that changed the game as well and Galway's injuries around midfield killed us. I think Brehony, Smyth, D Burke and Tannian all went off injured and a few of the subs couldn't get near the ball. I hear Cunningham is already talking about coming back next year. I think he's a bit deluded about how bad we've been the last 2 years. Time for a change.

AZOffaly

He said after the game to Damian lawlor that he was staying on.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 06, 2014, 12:10:51 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 06, 2014, 12:34:16 AM
Tipp much stronger with paudie maher out in the half back line. He's too aggressive for full back.

That was a switch that changed the game as well and Galway's injuries around midfield killed us. I think Brehony, Smyth, D Burke and Tannian all went off injured and a few of the subs couldn't get near the ball. I hear Cunningham is already talking about coming back next year. I think he's a bit deluded about how bad we've been the last 2 years. Time for a change.
Is there not some programme for Galway hurling involving under 16, minors and a development squad that feeds into the senior team ?
I'd say this crowd will win an allIreland. Most of them are barely out of under 21 and as long as they learn from this they'll be fine.  The CB will probably give him thr chop.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

In fairness to Cunningham he's had the Galway team playing with aggression and giving it everything(something we didn't always see in the past) and the fade out came after we lost a few players around the middle to injury, so on reflection he's been a bit unlucky this year. I was overly harsh on him yesterday but I was disappointed after the game. If the players want him to stay on, maybe he should be kept, because at least we went down fighting and we've introduced some quality young players this year.

I still think he should have switched Johnny Coen and Ronan Burke and the failure to make a change after Burke got booked in the first half was a glaring error, given the way Callanan was running at him.

We still need a few more players to come through to win an All-Ireland. Our forwards can't win enough ball to take the pressure off our backs and we're only scoring about 15 points a game(not including goals). I don't think those forwards will win an All-Ireland and we need 2 or 3 more really exceptional forwards to come through from underage and a couple more options at the back too, with Collins and Moore the wrong side of 30.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 06, 2014, 09:14:07 PM
In fairness to Cunningham he's had the Galway team playing with aggression and giving it everything(something we didn't always see in the past) and the fade out came after we lost a few players around the middle to injury, so on reflection he's been a bit unlucky this year. I was overly harsh on him yesterday but I was disappointed after the game. If the players want him to stay on, maybe he should be kept, because at least we went down fighting and we've introduced some quality young players this year.

I still think he should have switched Johnny Coen and Ronan Burke and the failure to make a change after Burke got booked in the first half was a glaring error, given the way Callanan was running at him.

We still need a few more players to come through to win an All-Ireland. Our forwards can't win enough ball to take the pressure off our backs and we're only scoring about 15 points a game(not including goals). I don't think those forwards will win an All-Ireland and we need 2 or 3 more really exceptional forwards to come through from underage and a couple more options at the back too, with Collins and Moore the wrong side of 30.
We do need more depth alright and the tactical side is not good enough but as long as it's building into something and the players are developing rather than being prematurely discarded I'd be happy. There isn't going to be any county dominating things for the next 5 years I'd say and if they can bring on the players either with the current management or another who continue the work being done then we should have some longer summers to look forward to.
It's much better than the Offaly situation ;)

They are trying to build a team around the 2012 minors

GALWAY : S Mannion; C Diviney, P Killeen, P Mannion; A Tuohy (0-1), S Sweeney, J Hanbury; P Brehony (0-4), D Higgins (0-1); J Flynn (0-3), J Glynn, B Lane; G O'Donoghue (0-1), J Carr (0-1), S Maloney (1-9, six frees). Subs : K Cullinane for Higgins (54 mins), M Mullins for Hanbury (54 mins), D Dolan (0-1) for O'Donoghue (55 mins), P Flaherty for Carr (58 mins).

and the 2012 u21s

GALWAY : J Ryan; D Connolly, N Donoghue, G O'Halloran; J Grealish, P Gordon, R Foy; J Coen, D Burke (0-3, 0-2 frees); C Cooney (0-1), N Burke (0-3, 0-2 frees), T Haran (1-3, 1-0 pen); J Regan (1-2), B Daly, D Glennon (1-2). Subs : R Burke for Gordan (18 mins), B Burke for Haran (41 mins), D Fox for Cooney (55 mins), N Quinn for N Burke (57 mins), D Cooney for D Burke (62 mins).

The 87 win was built on the 83 minors and u21s.
Niall Donoghue RIP was a big loss as well . He was going to be the full back.
Cunningham is always talking about the team learning. 

seafoid

Asal

They got a very poor return from the 2004/05 minors and the 2005 u21s.   I think they are trying to improve that side of things now.
If they click we could have a meitheal of all Irelands down the line :D
I think Galway will win the hurling before Mayo win the football 

Minor recall: Old foes from 2004 final still stamping their class on national stage
The last All-Ireland minor hurling final replay was 2004. It was between Galway and Kilkenny, but, eight years on, only a handful of those teenagers have survived the rigours of the senior ranks.
Joe Canning is one of them. Still only 15 years old, he contributed a point from full forward in the 3-12 to 1-18 draw at Croke Park, but it was his impact seven days later that brought this once-in-a-lifetime hurler on to the national stage.
Kerril Wade was Galway's chief marksman, but come the replay in Tullamore it was Canning's breathtaking sideline cuts that had a huge impact, not only on the game's outcome but those moments of genius sparked a wonderful hurling story.
It was Richie Hogan's point that forced matters to a second outing, but the Danesfort sharp-shooter only registered 0-1 in the replay. Elder brother Paddy landed three placed balls.
Others involved then and this weekend are Kevin Hynes for Galway and Matthew Ruth for Kilkenny.
Galway won the replay 0-16 to 1-12 with their manager Mattie Murphy making a prediction afterwards: "And I tell you this much. Wait four or five years and we'll be heard of in the senior ranks too." It actually took three more years then Mattie predicted.
In the meantime, some quality hurlers, such as John Lee and Wade, are no longer on the scene.
GALWAY: M Herlihy; P Loughnane, G Mahon, C ODonovan; M Ryan, J Lee, J Hughes; A Keary, D Kennedy; K Kilkenny (0-1), K Hynes (0-2), F Coone (0-2); K Wade (0-7, six frees), J Canning (0-4, two sidelines, one free), B Hanley. Subs: D White for Ryan (22 mins).

2005 u21

"Kilkenny were going for a three-in-a-row and we put a stop to it," said Mullins. "It's '96 since we won it and this is worth an awful lot to Galway hurling now that we've won the minor and under-21 - a lot more guys will come through." (they didn't)
GALWAY: A Ryan; P Flynn, A Gaynor, K Briscoe; G Mahon, B Cullinane, D Collins (0-1, free); B Lucas (0-1), A Garvey; J Gantley, A Callanan (1-1), E Ryan; N Healy (0-1), K Burke (capt, 0-2), K Wade (0-8, five frees, one 65). Replacements: F Coone for Ryan (26 mins), C Dervan (0-1) for Gantley (43 mins), D Kelly for Cullinane (49 mins).

KILKENNY: D Fogarty; S Maher, J Tennyson, D Cody; J Dalton, PJ Delaney, C Hoyne; M Fennelly (0-1), M Rice; E Larkin (1-9, eight points frees), A Murphy, W O'Dwyer (0-1); E Reid (capt, 0-1), J Fitzpatrick (0-2), R Power. B: D McCormack for Murphy (41 mins).

Asal Mor

Looking at that Kilkenny team that we beat in the 05 u-21s, there's about 6 all stars and god knows how many senior All-Ireland winner medals in there. You're right seafoid, we're getting more from the recent underage successes and the 2012 minor team reminded me how young some of these guys still are. That would mean Glynn, Flynn, Brehony, Killeen and Maloney are still u-21 this year and next?

It's a good sign that Cunningham is so eager to stay on. He must see the potential for an All-Ireland in them. Where there's youth there's hope but we do not to find a fair bit of improvement.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 07, 2014, 12:06:23 AM
Looking at that Kilkenny team that we beat in the 05 u-21s, there's about 6 all stars and god knows how many senior All-Ireland winner medals in there. You're right seafoid, we're getting more from the recent underage successes and the 2012 minor team reminded me how young some of these guys still are. That would mean Glynn, Flynn, Brehony, Killeen and Maloney are still u-21 this year and next?

It's a good sign that Cunningham is so eager to stay on. He must see the potential for an All-Ireland in them. Where there's youth there's hope but we do not to find a fair bit of improvement.
I just noticed that 2011 was the year they did the underage double so those lads would be ok for u21 this yearonly. Clare have 3 u21s in the last 5 years. Counties that have the systems to get these players into high performance senior teams will win stuff. The hurlers are similar to the footballers in that they have a lot of good younger players but not so many older fellas who have the experience. It will take time to change the system. 

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2014, 04:16:09 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 05, 2014, 04:10:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2014, 04:02:55 PM
Great start for Wexford, can they keep it going? I wonder who Davy will blame today if this ends in a defeat

The ref by the looks of it. Clear red card. Hit him with the stick and then pulled the face mask. Take your pick

These players know from the start that any interference with a helmet will be dealt with a red card, pure stupidity, and who does Davy go to at half time? Yeah the referee, if I was the manager I'd be giving my a lot of grief for fecking things up

He must have regained his composure for the postmatch interview where he said it was a silly rule and not the referees fault, the silliness is that of Paudge Collins for doing it in the first place.

Asal Mor

Our minors seem to be very well prepared and maybe some of the minor titles we won were more down to that rather than producing the outstanding individuals you need for senior success. With Andy Smith, Tannian, Collins and Moore all near the end it'll all depend on what comes through in the next few years. We have a lot of positions to fill and we lack really top class players like Richie Hogan, Reid and Murphy in Kilkenny or Brendan Maher, Padraig Maher and (inconsistently) Seamus Callanan in Tipp.

Conor Whelan and Darragh Dolan looked good prospects on last year's minor team and an U-21 title this year would be a strong possibility for us and a big boost for morale.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 07, 2014, 12:48:44 PM
Our minors seem to be very well prepared and maybe some of the minor titles we won were more down to that rather than producing the outstanding individuals you need for senior success. With Andy Smith, Tannian, Collins and Moore all near the end it'll all depend on what comes through in the next few years. We have a lot of positions to fill and we lack really top class players like Richie Hogan, Reid and Murphy in Kilkenny or Brendan Maher, Padraig Maher and (inconsistently) Seamus Callanan in Tipp.

Conor Whelan and Darragh Dolan looked good prospects on last year's minor team and an U-21 title this year would be a strong possibility for us and a big boost for morale.
Those lads are ok for another 2 years anyway. There are so few of them because so many were lost.
Would Kevin Hynes not be able to play somewhere other than full back which is not his best position ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on July 07, 2014, 12:41:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2014, 04:16:09 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 05, 2014, 04:10:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2014, 04:02:55 PM
Great start for Wexford, can they keep it going? I wonder who Davy will blame today if this ends in a defeat

The ref by the looks of it. Clear red card. Hit him with the stick and then pulled the face mask. Take your pick

These players know from the start that any interference with a helmet will be dealt with a red card, pure stupidity, and who does Davy go to at half time? Yeah the referee, if I was the manager I'd be giving my a lot of grief for fecking things up

He must have regained his composure for the postmatch interview where he said it was a silly rule and not the referees fault, the silliness is that of Paudge Collins for doing it in the first place.

What a fecking dcik. A silly rule cause his player was caught doing it, had it been a Wexford player and he got off with it he'd have blown a fuse.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2014, 03:06:14 PM
Those lads are ok for another 2 years anyway. There are so few of them because so many were lost.
Would Kevin Hynes not be able to play somewhere other than full back which is not his best position ?

I think he plays midfield for Sarsfields but like many others on the panel he looks a bit slow to me and the modern game demands fast, athletic midfielders like Brehony and Smith. Those two are fine but the lack of quality cover was exposed against Tipp. We really felt the losses of Cyril Donnellan and Damien Hayes(who obviously isn't the player he was) around the middle, half-forward line too.

You're right about giving young players more time. So many talented players were discarded after one bad game. Last year, Conor Cooney looked like he wasn't up to it and in the past he would have been thrown aside while we tried out the next young talent, but he was probably our player of the year this year.

Premier Emperor

That last 20 minutes against Galway felt as good as the closing minutes against the Cats when we stopped the 5 in a row. 2-10 to 0-1 we outscored them by.
Pity the ref didn't add on another 20!  8)

Premier Emperor

Are repeat matches blocked for the Quarter finals?
Assuming Cork beat Limerick, that would mean Tipperary will be playing Dublin.