AI series (Qualifiers)

Started by johnneycool, June 23, 2014, 09:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Looking at the Tipp team, there's still a lot of serious quality there. I think they've been unlucky so far under O' Shea. They lost a few tight games that they could easily have won. Galway are gonna need a huge performance. The effort from the Galway players this year has been great. They're giving it everything, but it seems the quality just isn't there, especially up front.

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/the-belief-you-should-have-when-you-pull-on-the-tipp-jersey-is-missing-its-gone-30408350.html

"Now Galway come to town with Tipp's modern championship record against the Tribesmen suggesting the likelihood of another nailbiter. Since beating them in the '01 All-Ireland final, Tipp have won two ('03 and '10) of their three championship games against Galway, both by single-point margins. In '05, Galway won by two.
Leahy worries that a similarly tight contest could activate old shortcomings.
"I think the pressure on Tipp will be overwhelming because of all that's gone on in the last few weeks," he says.
"And, because of that, I honestly believe the crowd will be an important player. Because, if Tipp don't start well, with the negativity that has gone on, the anxiety will spread. The belief you should have when you pull on the Tipp jersey is missing, it's gone. And we are a difficult county from the point of view of expectation. We've got a very skilful team right now, all of them well able to hurl.
"But all I'm hearing from people is that 'Bonner' Maher is so vital. People are saying 'We need another Bonner!' "That talk gathers momentum and it kind of becomes an issue. Because the truth is we haven't found another 'Bonner'. We've found loads of really skilful hurlers, but is that enough in this day and age?""

2 teams that have confidence issues . Tipp don't sound great TBH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcOxhH8N3Bo
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Great start for Wexford, can they keep it going? I wonder who Davy will blame today if this ends in a defeat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2014, 04:02:55 PM
Great start for Wexford, can they keep it going? I wonder who Davy will blame today if this ends in a defeat

The ref by the looks of it. Clear red card. Hit him with the stick and then pulled the face mask. Take your pick

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on July 05, 2014, 04:10:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2014, 04:02:55 PM

The ref by the looks of it. Clear red card. Hit him with the stick and then pulled the face mask. Take your pick

These players know from the start that any interference with a helmet will be dealt with a red card, pure stupidity, and who does Davy go to at half time? Yeah the referee, if I was the manager I'd be giving my a lot of grief for fecking things up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gerrykeegan

Some finish. Cracking game.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 05, 2014, 05:03:16 PM

Unlike Galway's Kilkenny's finish both teams missed their last chance to win it!! Davy is hard to like

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2014, 05:07:56 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 05, 2014, 05:03:16 PM

Unlike Galway's Kilkenny's finish both teams missed their last chance to win it!! Davy is hard to like
that's a good result for wexford
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

Total fade out by Galway in the second half but the game swung on Tipp's second goal and the failure of the Galway management to make the most obvious change that was never made. I felt sorry for Ronan Burke out there but you could see within 20 minutes that they needed to send Johnny Coen in on Callanan to match him for pace. That'll be it for Cunningham and while he didn't have alot to work with, his reign will be defined by dreadful tactical decision making.

Rossfan

Awful disappointing last quarter from Galway. Lost the plot entirely. Tipp should make Quarter finals now at least.
Wexford probably left it behind them but Clare seem to have gone stale.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Asal Mor

Putting a few quid on Dublin(draw no bet at 7/4) to beat Kilkenny. Considering Galway's performances against Tipp and Laois, Kilkenny's form against Galway wasn't impressive.

AZOffaly

See Davy had a row with a journalist from the Clare champion after the match. He's not well.

Tipp much stronger with paudie maher out in the half back line. He's too aggressive for full back.

orangeman

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 05, 2014, 08:38:31 PM
Total fade out by Galway in the second half but the game swung on Tipp's second goal and the failure of the Galway management to make the most obvious change that was never made. I felt sorry for Ronan Burke out there but you could see within 20 minutes that they needed to send Johnny Coen in on Callanan to match him for pace. That'll be it for Cunningham and while he didn't have alot to work with, his reign will be defined by dreadful tactical decision making.

When the commentator kept saying that the Galway full back was learning on the job, you knew he was liable to struggle. Callinan finished with 3-8- serious Tally.

Ok Galway folded but Joe never came out for the 2nd half at all. 3 touches was it in 2nd half for Joe. Talking Paudie Maher out of full back was key. That really stemmed the Galway flow.

Tony Baloney

Must be awful frustrating being a Galway fan. A serious team for blowing hot and cold. Really threw it up to the Cats in their first match and showed a lot of mettle in the final stages of the second half. Fair enough they lost the replay which is no disgrace against Kilkenny. But like other years, just when you think they might show something they inevitably fail to deliver.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 06, 2014, 01:02:03 AM
Must be awful frustrating being a Galway fan. A serious team for blowing hot and cold. Really threw it up to the Cats in their first match and showed a lot of mettle in the final stages of the second half. Fair enough they lost the replay which is no disgrace against Kilkenny. But like other years, just when you think they might show something they inevitably fail to deliver.

You said it Tony. A poster on the Galway forum summed it up well that even when we were six points up and flying with 20 minutes to go, he still felt we would lose. I had that feeling too. The first day against Kilkenny was a good performance by our standards but I don't buy the inconsistency (Which Galway will show up? etc.) thing. Aside from that game our championship performances have been dismal for the last 2 years. I've heard people saying that we consistently under-perform, but if you do anything consistently then that's your level and our level right now is just slightly above Laois, Antrim and Offaly who would all relish a championship match against us, and have a realistic chance of winning. That's not negative, just an honest assessment of where we are based on results and performances.

If your players aren't the best, you need clever management and I'm not sure what  our sideline was thinking. Nicky English mentioned 5 or 6 times in the first half alone about Tipp needing to exploit the mismatch for pace between Callanan and Burke. It was jumping off the page. Burke is a good player too who might well have benefitted from a switch. Nicky would be a good man for the job actually, but he'd have more sense than to take it.

Not to worry, there's always next year.