Safe Return for Gaelic Games

Started by StephenC, June 09, 2020, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigarsedkeeper

I heard today that there is updated guidelines coming over the weekend and the checks etc will be less onerous than previously though. No temperature checks at the ground was the big one. To be fair they can only deal with the information or direction they have at the time and currently that is changing week by week from the government.

armaghniac

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 12, 2020, 04:39:50 PM
I heard today that there is updated guidelines coming over the weekend and the checks etc will be less onerous than previously though. No temperature checks at the ground was the big one. To be fair they can only deal with the information or direction they have at the time and currently that is changing week by week from the government.

Temperature checks are not very effective. But in this new environment you cannot have the usual "it's only a sniffle, you can play rightly" approach which might have existed in the past. People have to act responsibly and clubs  would be wise to get people to agree to do so and that this stuff is not just bureaucracy but there is a real reason behind it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smokin Joe

Health questionnaire to be completed just once, prior to first training.  Then up to parents / players to inform the Covid supervisor if there has been a change in temperature.  And no temperatures to be taken at the ground; they are to be done at home.

Those changes seem to be sensible.

Ball Hopper

How are referees and players supposed to deal with coughing, spitting and nostril clearing during a game?  Of the non-intentional type toward an opponent, obviously intentional discharges at an opponent is a red card.

StephenC

Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 12, 2020, 05:34:58 PM
Health questionnaire to be completed just once, prior to first training.  Then up to parents / players to inform the Covid supervisor if there has been a change in temperature.  And no temperatures to be taken at the ground; they are to be done at home.

Agree, some good changes here.

StephenC

Quote from: Itchy on June 12, 2020, 02:04:19 PM
Quote from: StephenC on June 12, 2020, 01:13:24 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 12, 2020, 12:23:55 PM
Quote from: City Dweller on June 12, 2020, 11:31:41 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2020, 08:38:50 AM
If truth be told, I think forcing parents/players to sign a pro forma questionnaire before every session is little more than an exercise in killing unfortunate trees, as a) if someone is now feeling unwell, the chances are they've been spreading for weeks, and b) nobody in the history of the world has ever read the questions or thought about the answers on a pro forma document, after they've completed it a couple of to times.

But the rest of it I'm finding difficult to argue with. I don't like it. But I can see the merits.

Signing in every session is the bit I don't get. Sharing pen? Surely the pro forma should only be signed once?

I get the temperature check piece, you can control that with one person doing that and filling in temperature with no contact with player.

Why do you get the temp check piece?

1- It is for people to do at home supposedly and come and declare  their temp and record it at the pitch (no way to police_
2- Temp checks are a total waste of time and are only an arse covering exercise as you can have Covid with no temperature and you can have temperature with no covid.
3- f**k all professional businesses are doing it yet amateur GAA clubs are going to. Utter nonsense

That's the 2nd time you've stated this. In my experience most businesses are taking very strict measures to deal with 1. making sure people stay away if they are symptomatic (including temperature checking) 2. having the ability to support contact tracing if a case arose 3. promoting good hygiene behaviours

Let's also admit that there is a legal aspect to this too. There is going to be a tsunami of compensation claims globally from people who contracted the virus, built around the fact that the business/organisation didn't take appropriate steps to protect them. The GAA are trying to cover themselves.

It may be the 2nd time but it is true regarding temperature checks. The vast vast vast majority of businesses are not doing them, mostly because it give you no data worth talking about. If you dont believe me take a walk through your local town and do a survey on how many businesses are checking your temperature. As i have said to you before I work in a large Pharma company, 1000+ people today. We talk to all the other factories in our region regularly. Only 1 has implemented temp checks and the reason they did it is because some people on the production floor threatened to walk out if they didnt (if you know unions you will know its pointless sometimes arguing)

What companies do is advise people to stay at home if sick, appeal to their better nature in terms of infecting others, educate people regards to social distancing. We cannot force anyone to do anything. The GAA is amazingly trying to go steps further than big pharma companies!

In a similar situation myself. The majority of large employers in our area (1000+) are taking temperatures; we aren't because the medical advice in it is not clear.

the goal was on

Given the GAA's great record in enforcing their rules e.g 13 day window,intercounty training bans in winter,its almost a  given half the country will be in contact training in July! They need to ensure this does not happen and take serious sanctions to those who abuse it. Already clubs doing this and its not on.

supersub

Temperature checks were never to be completed by the club. This is a very widely misinformed statement. The onus was on the player or parent/guardian to fill in the Questionnaire before training, including temperature and submit to club. Only if there was no temperature recorded was the club to intervene. However, now the questionnaire only needs to be done once, online, and it has been reinforced that clubs are not expected to check temperatures.

If the guidelines are followed, it makes sense and in reality is the best we can hope for. Unless there was a treatment/cure, the return to games was never going to be an exact science.

Let's stop the complaining, get the clubs geared up and play some games

StephenC

Quote from: supersub on June 13, 2020, 11:56:19 PM

Temperature checks were never to be completed by the club. This is a very widely misinformed statement. The onus was on the player or parent/guardian to fill in the Questionnaire before training, including temperature and submit to club. Only if there was no temperature recorded was the club to intervene. However, now the questionnaire only needs to be done once, online, and it has been reinforced that clubs are not expected to check temperatures.

If the guidelines are followed, it makes sense and in reality is the best we can hope for. Unless there was a treatment/cure, the return to games was never going to be an exact science.

Let's stop the complaining, get the clubs geared up and play some games

+1 well said

thebackbar1

Quote from: Itchy on June 12, 2020, 07:57:34 PM
Glad to see some changes in the latest document

https://www.gaa.ie/news/covid-19-club-education-programme-unveiled-for-clubs/
They're planning on rolling out an online system for tracking players temperature in two weeks 🤔 Given the GAAs track record with delivering on IT projects I can't see this happening, I would imagine a committee came up with this idea without any idea of how to role it out. Technically its not hard, but integrating and supporting all the clubs in the country is.

Smurfy123

It does say that temperatures still have to be checked just not recorded is that correct?
So temperatures still have to be checked?
Not as daunting as first thought as online form only needs filled out prior to the first session and recorded.
The GAA are actually going above and beyond here so it's time to except things are moving and we need to get back at it. Negative people will always find things to pick holes in. Few men on here only a few weeks ago saying we won't be back until 2022 at the earliest

Square Ball

With an online form to be completed how will they do this? Will they have to use their unique GAA number to ensure they have the correct person?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

thebackbar1

Quote from: Square Ball on June 14, 2020, 11:11:47 AM
With an online form to be completed how will they do this? Will they have to use their unique GAA number to ensure they have the correct person?

I doubt they know themselves, servasport looked after alot of this stuff for the gaa, are they still going?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-insists-members-data-is-safe-despite-it-firms-financial-trouble-38268534.html

Square Ball

Quote from: thebackbar1 on June 14, 2020, 01:38:05 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on June 14, 2020, 11:11:47 AM

I doubt they know themselves, servasport looked after alot of this stuff for the gaa, are they still going?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-insists-members-data-is-safe-despite-it-firms-financial-trouble-38268534.html
They may be down but the website is still going and still used for registration. They may be able to do something, but how many out there know their number?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid