What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 28, 2013, 09:35:25 AM
QuoteAs for freeview HD, obviously better to get that than normal freeview but I don't imagine it would be that big a loss as there are not too many HD channels on freeview HD.

Of course you may be using cable or satellite. But if an aerial is (or might be) involved then there is no point in getting a HD tv that doesn't actually pick up HD. Also if you are getting RTÉ from Black Mountain this requires a Freeview HD set.

I'd say any changes over the next few years will involve more DVB-T2 channels and a possible end of duplication of channels.

OK question for all you TV buffs, I have Sky + and I have it wired around the house from the living room via the RF output from the back of the Sky to a splitter. I am currently using an older TV one of the bedrooms which is just a matter of tuning into that signal on one of the channels. My question is if I purchase a new digital TV will I still be able to tune the TV in to receive the RF input from the splitter?

Milltown Row2

Bought a 40" Polaroid LED full HD TV for £290

Ok some questions, It has two HDMI ports, I've it connected with a scart so do I buy HDMI cables and connect them to the sky box and other devices? Haven't a scooby Do  :o  Will it make the already great picture into a better one?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2013, 06:37:47 PM
Bought a 40" Polaroid LED full HD TV for £290

Ok some questions, It has two HDMI ports, I've it connected with a scart so do I buy HDMI cables and connect them to the sky box and other devices? Haven't a scooby Do  :o  Will it make the already great picture into a better one?
If you can get HD channels on your skybox, it is a no brainer to have your skybox connected to the tv via hdmi cables. You won't see full HD unless you use hdmi cables.
The difference in resolution between full HD  via hdmi cable and scart is easy to appreciate. The improvement on focus and clarity is blatantly obvious, at least it is on my tv, I don't know about your tv and its ability to display higher resolution (1090p) HD broadcasts.
Don't scrimp on the hdmi cable quality.

nrico2006

I bought a new TV a few months ago for the spare room.  It came with a Saorview transmitter built in, the model is an LG 32cs460.  hen it was originally set-up in February, I could get all my Sky channels from down stairs as well as the RTE, TV3 and TG4 channels.  However, since that I thought I had lost the Irish channels as they were appearing on my list of channels but nothing was coming up on screen (I since figured out that it was because for whatever way its set-up, I only get those 3 channels when my sky box is on downstairs.  I had then automatically tuned the channels back in, and I can access Sky and DTV but on my freeview list of channels the 3 Irish channels are no longer there and I cant figure out how to get them back.  Any ideas?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JohnDenver

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 14, 2013, 10:47:06 AM
I bought a new TV a few months ago for the spare room.  It came with a Saorview transmitter built in, the model is an LG 32cs460.  hen it was originally set-up in February, I could get all my Sky channels from down stairs as well as the RTE, TV3 and TG4 channels.  However, since that I thought I had lost the Irish channels as they were appearing on my list of channels but nothing was coming up on screen (I since figured out that it was because for whatever way its set-up, I only get those 3 channels when my sky box is on downstairs.  I had then automatically tuned the channels back in, and I can access Sky and DTV but on my freeview list of channels the 3 Irish channels are no longer there and I cant figure out how to get them back.  Any ideas?

There could be a region setting on the TV, so that if you are in the north it might not automatically pick up the irish channels in the listings.  I know Samsung has this, but not sure about LG.  You could set your region to the south, and re-tune without replacing existing channels - this might add the RTE channels. 

The sky box was more than likely using the RF out function which takes your incoming digital signal and outputs this alongside your sky signal.  You need to have the sky box in standby mode at least to keep this working.

nrico2006

Thanks for the advice.  I had already changed the region to Ireland yet had not joy, well actually I was able to get TG4.  Would there be any use in trying Norway?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 16, 2013, 09:10:25 AM
Thanks for the advice.  I had already changed the region to Ireland yet had not joy, well actually I was able to get TG4.  Would there be any use in trying Norway?

Depends how good your Norwegian is  ;)

orangeman

blewuporstuffed

No sure this is the right thread, but not sure where else to ask.
If you have sky and then cancel your subscription, does your sky+ box continue to work as a freeview box? can you just get all the freeview channels through it? and does the recording function still work as normal?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

laceer

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 25, 2013, 10:07:09 AM
If you have sky and then cancel your subscription, does your sky+ box continue to work as a freeview box? can you just get all the freeview channels through it? and does the recording function still work as normal?

Just after cancelling Sky myself. Sky + box still works as a freeview box - no recording though which is less of an inconvenience than I had imagined. Definitely not worth the extra £30 a month. May look into a recordable freeview box at some stage

Main Street

Quote from: laceer on October 25, 2013, 10:45:02 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 25, 2013, 10:07:09 AM

Just after cancelling Sky myself. Sky + box still works as a freeview box - no recording though which is less of an inconvenience than I had imagined. Definitely not worth the extra £30 a month. May look into a recordable freeview box at some stage
No subscription means = no recording facility, no access to hard drive recordings and no live pause, otherwise it will work the same for the FTA channels.

JimStynes

Looking a new TV, around 55inch or thereabouts. What's the craic with the curved TVs? Are they the next big thing or just a gimmick? 4K TVs seem to be advertised now as well but all are quite expensive and no doubt with come down in price as they become more popular. What to get something decent and get a PS4 on the go as well.

Any recommendations of what to go for, what TV makes to stick with etc?
Cheers

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: JimStynes on August 21, 2014, 10:59:30 PM
Looking a new TV, around 55inch or thereabouts. What's the craic with the curved TVs? Are they the next big thing or just a gimmick? 4K TVs seem to be advertised now as well but all are quite expensive and no doubt with come down in price as they become more popular. What to get something decent and get a PS4 on the go as well.

Cheers

Wouldn't buy one at 55 inch due to you have to sit at the right distance and dead centre of the TV. You would have to go 65inches up to see any real benefit.

JimStynes

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 21, 2014, 11:19:07 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 21, 2014, 10:59:30 PM

Cheers

Wouldn't buy one at 55 inch due to you have to sit at the right distance and dead centre of the TV. You would have to go 65inches up to see any real benefit.

That's the curved ruled out then?

What's the craic with 4k lads?

under the bar

The whole point of flat scree was that you could watch it from any angle and you didn't need a huge corner space to place it in.  Curved TVs take us back 20 years in that regard.   A complete gimmick that only came about because the LED screen is flexible.  What's next...corrugated?