Started by ONeill, August 07, 2014, 11:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2014, 12:25:40 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 08, 2014, 12:20:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_John_%28boxer%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Kilbane

Great call on Kilbane.

I particularly like this: Kilbane was a distant relative of the Irish boxer John Joe Nevin, the footballer Darren Fletcher, the wrestler Giant Haystacks and the Irish footballer Kevin Kilbane. His family was originally from Achill, County Mayo, Ireland.

That is quite a pedigree.

Some stuff - http://johnnykilbane.com/page2.html
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Fighting Heart

by Johnny Kilbane

A man can have two arms of steel
a punch of dynamite
But if he lacks a fighting heart
He'll miss the greatest height

He may possess an iron fist
And strength beyond his need
Then too he may be quick of mind
And blessed with extra speed

He may have great ability
Or be a fancy Dan
But without faith and fighting heart
He's just an also-ran

This need of heart is not just for
the pugilist who fights
But it holds true for all of us
Who battle for our rights

For when the chips of life are down
and troubled waters mount
A fighting heart will see us through
However long the count
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DrinkingHarp

Michael Phelps

Just in the Olympics 2004-2012  18 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze    22 total medals leads both winter/summer Olympians.

I would also put Muhammad Ali at the top.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

pullhard

sebastien loeb - almost always overlook - 9 WRC titles in a row

el_cuervo_fc

ludermor

Robin Seymour would take some beating from an Irish perspective having just won his 20th mountain biking national championship and has won 18 cyclocross nationals. 

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/robin-seymour-bowing-out-after-20th-mtb-title-i-want-to-do-something-different-now/

Armaghgeddon

Katie Taylor - Gold at every tournament. Won the last 60 of 61 bouts, which is impressive in boxing no matter what level.

LeoMc

Quote from: AQMP on August 08, 2014, 08:25:41 AM
Ed Moses?
Completely dominant over the 400m hurdles. 2 Olympic Golds (would have been 3 only for the boycott of the Moscow Olympics and multiple world record holder.
He won somewhere over 100 consecutive finals over 10 years.

Sergei Bubka was another man who dominated his sport.

brokencrossbar1

I think in terms of physical quality and longevity you have to look at the likes of Michael Johnson in terms of sprinting and Haile Gebrselassie for distance running.  2 phenomenal athletes.

Franko

This is brilliant...

Kilbane was such a popular prizefighter in his day that his name appeared in print as a verb. An unsigned commentary in the sports pages of the New York Times on May 16, 1912, reported on an episode involving Detroit baseball player Ty Cobb, who the day before, in a game between the Detroit Tigers and the New York Yankees, had gone into the stands after a heckler. The commentary said, "The famous baseball player from Detroit, Ty Cobb chased after a heckler during a game with the New York Yankees and 'Johnny Kilbaned' him right where he stood...and in so doing stopped the profane and intolerable language dead in its tracks, along with the heckler himself".

bennydorano

Eddy Mercx in cycling. Dominated for a long long time.

Asal Mor

I was going to suggest Rocky Marciano as he was undefeated, but wikipedia tells me he only had 6 title defences.

Bolt is as dominant a champion as you'd ever see but some are sceptical about whether he's legit.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 08, 2014, 01:33:26 PM
I was going to suggest Rocky Marciano as he was undefeated, but wikipedia tells me he only had 6 title defences.

Bolt is as dominant a champion as you'd ever see but some are sceptical about whether he's legit.
He is until he isn't.

stew

The khan cousins in squash. Jasner khan was the first one who never lost until his  cousin beat him and then he went k n a tear.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.