AIQ Round 3B - Roscommon vs. Armagh (19/07/14, 5pm - Live on SKY)

Started by Syferus, July 13, 2014, 05:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Zulu

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 19, 2014, 06:44:26 PM
Roscommon will be very disappointed with that performance, definitely a team with potential but they could not cope with the blanket defence and the wet ball.

Some of the big names were poor I thought including cregg and kilbride in the ff line

Thought Roscommon were at least as, probably more, defensive than Armagh.

Quote6 different scorers at the end of the first half alone - not sure how many at the end and Armagh are limited?

QuoteScored 1-14 from play of which Jamie Clarke contributed 3 points.

True, but that doesn't mean Armagh aren't limited in an attacking sense. To be fair conditions weren't great but I didn't see too many, bar Clarke who would likely make the Dublin forward line for example. Armagh are now at the business end and of the championship and I didn't think they looked like a team that would outscore many of the teams left. They could certainly give some teams problems but they look limited from what I've seen. Probably a discussion for another day though.

JP

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 07:00:13 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 19, 2014, 06:44:26 PM
Roscommon will be very disappointed with that performance, definitely a team with potential but they could not cope with the blanket defence and the wet ball.

Some of the big names were poor I thought including cregg and kilbride in the ff line

Thought Roscommon were at least as, probably more, defensive than Armagh.

Quote6 different scorers at the end of the first half alone - not sure how many at the end and Armagh are limited?

QuoteScored 1-14 from play of which Jamie Clarke contributed 3 points.

True, but that doesn't mean Armagh aren't limited in an attacking sense. To be fair conditions weren't great but I didn't see too many, bar Clarke who would likely make the Dublin forward line for example. Armagh are now at the business end and of the championship and I didn't think they looked like a team that would outscore many of the teams left. They could certainly give some teams problems but they look limited from what I've seen. Probably a discussion for another day though.

To be fair I don't think many counties would compare favorably to Dublin. Our attacking wing backs do alot of damage also. I'm just delighted to be in round 4 in the championship, feeling very optimistic and will be cheering on Dublin tomorrow so the the dream of making the quarter finals remains possible.  If we can compete with Monaghan there isn't many teams we can't have a go at.

Zulu

Yeah, I know Dublin are a high standard for any team but I'd be a bit concerned if I was an Armagh man that any team clipping over a nice score might be hard to keep with. Armagh won't gear anyone bar the very best and they'll be dangerous opponents but they might find the Croke Park an unforgiving place. Still you're in the mix now so I can understand Armagh lads rightly taking the positive out it.

JP

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 07:10:46 PM
Yeah, I know Dublin are a high standard for any team but I'd be a bit concerned if I was an Armagh man that any team clipping over a nice score might be hard to keep with. Armagh won't gear anyone bar the very best and they'll be dangerous opponents but they might find the Croke Park an unforgiving place. Still you're in the mix now so I can understand Armagh lads rightly taking the positive out it.

To be honest I'm just very happy to still be in the championship. After a horrible league this is more then most expected. We are a team to be respected again and have progressed further then we have for the last 6 years.  We have a disciplined team with a clear strategy, if a team can best us fair play to them but regardless I am proud of the team.

Hopefully we will meet again in the league in 2016 in Division 2.

seafoid

Ros in not as good as Syferus says shocker.
At least there will be no more talk of "the hyde" for the rest of the year.

Syferus

Quote from: JP on July 19, 2014, 07:16:26 PM

To be honest I'm just very happy to still be in the championship. After a horrible league this is more then most expected. We are a team to be respected again and have progressed further then we have for the last 6 years.  We have a disciplined team with a clear strategy, if a team can best us fair play to them but regardless I am proud of the team.

Armagh are a physical and solid team. Midfield is a bit weak though. Like us their ceiling this year is probably an AIQF. No shame in that, just means more work will need to be done over the next year to make the next step.

orangeman

Armagh were very organised in defence again and very hard to break down. Up front Jamie was outstanding and led Roscommon a merry dance. Ok roscommon hit a good few wides but that's credit to Armagh.

Armagh have nothing to lose now and all to gain and as an Armagh fan beside me said - we've only 3 more games to get to the AI final.

Aaron Boone

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: orangeman on July 19, 2014, 07:30:49 PM
Armagh were very organised in defence again and very hard to break down. Up front Jamie was outstanding and led Roscommon a merry dance. Ok roscommon hit a good few wides but that's credit to Armagh.

Armagh have nothing to lose now and all to gain and as an Armagh fan beside me said - we've only 3 more games to get to the AI final.

Hope we don't start this talk. Let's take it one game at a time.

bennydorano

What's the story with Toner & the Raffertys? Any chance of any of them making the next game?

imtommygunn

There have been good footballers in armagh all that time though. They just lacked strategy / direction.

hairyUlsterman

Northern Irelands hopes rest on Armagh this year, as a Derry man I never would have thought that a few months ago.

Qwerty28

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2014, 07:29:43 PM

Armagh are a physical and solid team. Midfield is a bit weak though. Like us their ceiling this year is probably an AIQF. No shame in that, just means more work will need to be done over the next year to make the next step.

Looks like Roscommon ceiling was actually the 3rd round of qualifiers!!

Armaghgeddon

Hard luck to Roscommon, there is definitely something there to work with.

Armagh were Physical, Intelligent and for the best part accurate taking 66% of their chances. We still haven't seen anywhere near the full potential of this squad and that makes me excited about the future of this squad and on top of that the team have shown improvements from last year.