Have you ever been a 'Sledger?'

Started by theticklemister, May 18, 2015, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 22, 2015, 09:10:10 PM
The fact that Bonner went to the press makes me suspicious in the first place, why didn't he go through GAA channels for this where he could be dealt with fairly and squarely?

The fact that its easier to go to the press were allegations can be fired around with a bit of hearsay, leading to a mob and moral conviction gives rise for concern and suspicion as to his motives.

He didn't - he writes a weekly column for a Donegal newspaper

omaghjoe

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 22, 2015, 09:27:20 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 22, 2015, 09:10:10 PM
The fact that Bonner went to the press makes me suspicious in the first place, why didn't he go through GAA channels for this where he could be dealt with fairly and squarely?

The fact that its easier to go to the press were allegations can be fired around with a bit of hearsay, leading to a mob and moral conviction gives rise for concern and suspicion as to his motives.

He didn't - he writes a weekly column for a Donegal newspaper

Huh?  He actually did

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/donegal-minor-boss-declan-bonner-5737534

QuoteDonegal minor manager Declan Bonner has reacted angrily to abuse that his captain allegedly suffered over the death of his father.

It has been claimed that during last Sunday's clash with Tyrone, two opposing players taunted Donegal's Micheal Carroll about the passing of his father, Francie, a former county senior player himself who died after a short battle with cancer in February of last year.

Writing in his column in the Donegal News, Bonner blasted: "If this is what is going to happen in games, then I don't want to be a part of it. I would rather walk away than be involved in something that has become so toxic.

"Sledging is part and parcel of the game now, but there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed. This whole thing has gone to a new level and in our minor game against Tyrone on Sunday, those boundaries were crossed to sickening levels.

"We all know that this goes on and I think everyone accepts that it just has become a big part of the game now, but when the verbals extend to the bereavement of a family member or a loved one, there has to be a line drawn."

The Donegal minors won the match by six points, which acted as a curtain raiser to the senior tie between the two counties, a game which was also noted for sledging between players, though not quite on this scale.

Bonner, an All-Ireland senior winner with Donegal in 1992, added: "It shows a lack of respect. Something needs to be done here because sledging has really gone to a crazy level. Where will it stop?

"It's something that shouldn't happen at any level, but it really is worrying when you see this type of behaviour going on with 17-year-olds.

"Only the people involved with teams can sort this problem out. Of course you do what you have to do to win - but does that really extend to goading a young lad about the death of someone close to them?"

Brendan Devenney went to the press - http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/minor-player-was-taunted-over-the-death-of-his-father-brendan-devenney-31240758.html

ck

So Tyrone undertake their OWN investigation and quote a Donegal source who agrees with their findings. You couldn't make this stuff up.

I heard Brendan Devenney on news talk last night say that other players heard the sledging and that the players fathers name was used. Surely this makes a mockery of the Tyrone investigation?

BennyHarp

Quote from: ck on May 22, 2015, 11:08:59 PM
So Tyrone undertake their OWN investigation and quote a Donegal source who agrees with their findings. You couldn't make this stuff up.

I heard Brendan Devenney on news talk last night say that other players heard the sledging and that the players fathers name was used. Surely this makes a mockery of the Tyrone investigation?

Ah right, so you choose who to believe and call the other side a mockery based on no more actual evidence. I truly hope for his own sake that Bonner has his ducks in a row here, I think this could be a huge issue if he turns out to be misinformed.
That was never a square ball!!

Darby

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 22, 2015, 11:26:06 PM

Ah right, so you choose who to believe and call the other side a mockery based on no more actual evidence. I truly hope for his own sake that Bonner has his ducks in a row here, I think this could be a huge issue if he turns out to be misinformed.
It's a huge issue either way.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Darby on May 22, 2015, 11:27:27 PM

It already has been made a huge issue for Tyrone and our county have had to deal with it. But if Bonner is not 100% correct then he has created a storm for a young lad that in my view is unacceptable and serious questions need to be asked about his position. 

Darby

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 22, 2015, 11:35:20 PM

It already has been made a huge issue for Tyrone and our county have had to deal with it. But if Bonner is not 100% correct then he has created a storm for a young lad that in my view is unacceptable and serious questions need to be asked about his position.
If he's not correct. If he's correct, he deserves to be praised to the hilt for addressing a very serious issue and not staying silent.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Darby on May 22, 2015, 11:39:53 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 22, 2015, 11:35:20 PM

If he's not correct. If he's correct, he deserves to be praised to the hilt for addressing a very serious issue and not staying silent.

And if not?

omaghjoe

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 22, 2015, 09:41:58 PM
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/donegal-minor-boss-declan-bonner-5737534

QuoteDonegal minor manager Declan Bonner has reacted angrily to abuse that his captain allegedly suffered over the death of his father.

It has been claimed that during last Sunday's clash with Tyrone, two opposing players taunted Donegal's Micheal Carroll about the passing of his father, Francie, a former county senior player himself who died after a short battle with cancer in February of last year.

Writing in his column in the Donegal News, Bonner blasted: "If this is what is going to happen in games, then I don't want to be a part of it. I would rather walk away than be involved in something that has become so toxic.

"Sledging is part and parcel of the game now, but there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed. This whole thing has gone to a new level and in our minor game against Tyrone on Sunday, those boundaries were crossed to sickening levels.

"We all know that this goes on and I think everyone accepts that it just has become a big part of the game now, but when the verbals extend to the bereavement of a family member or a loved one, there has to be a line drawn."

The Donegal minors won the match by six points, which acted as a curtain raiser to the senior tie between the two counties, a game which was also noted for sledging between players, though not quite on this scale.

Bonner, an All-Ireland senior winner with Donegal in 1992, added: "It shows a lack of respect. Something needs to be done here because sledging has really gone to a crazy level. Where will it stop?

"It's something that shouldn't happen at any level, but it really is worrying when you see this type of behaviour going on with 17-year-olds.

"Only the people involved with teams can sort this problem out. Of course you do what you have to do to win - but does that really extend to goading a young lad about the death of someone close to them?"

Brendan Devenney went to the press - http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/minor-player-was-taunted-over-the-death-of-his-father-brendan-devenney-31240758.html

and so did Bonner, if he wasnt going to the press he would have left it out of his article

omaghjoe

Is this what all this is based on??

Did anyone speak to the lad? Did anyone actually get his permission to go to the press?

Put Up That Flag

Scummy Tyrone at their best, they are nearly out doing all their other scummy actions with this one, they have high standards when it comes to that kinda thing.

screenexile

So not only have Tyrone players called out a lad for his Father dying of cancer but now you lads are trying to say Donegal is making it all up?

What exactly have Donegal to gain by making this up? They won the game at a canter and the easiest thing for them to do is ride off into the sunset where they will win the Ulster Championship. They have nothing to gain by making this up so the logical inference is that it's true and Tyrone are coveting their asses with lies!

Sad state of affairs!!

Darby

Quote from: screenexile on May 23, 2015, 12:34:15 AM
So not only have Tyrone players called out a lad for his Father dying of cancer but now you lads are trying to say Donegal is making it all up?

What exactly have Donegal to gain by making this up? They won the game at a canter and the easiest thing for them to do is ride off into the sunset where they will win the Ulster Championship. They have nothing to gain by making this up so the logical inference is that it's true and Tyrone are coveting their asses with lies!

Sad state of affairs!!
If they're lying, it's a very unusual thing to make up. Especially when you've won the game already.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on May 23, 2015, 02:05:26 AM
Quote from: Darby on May 23, 2015, 01:51:17 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 23, 2015, 12:34:15 AM

Sad state of affairs!!
If they're lying, it's a very unusual thing to make up. Especially when you've won the game already.
This could go on......

For example:
"Who could possibly refrain from beating the shite out of someone who said that to you? He did, so it can't have happened."

Fact is none of us know what happened so stop trying to read minds and let the investigations take their course.

Do you mean ones designed with the sole purpose of exonerating Tyrone or proper investigations?