NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 18, 2020, 10:19:00 PM
Just watched back on the mayo game there, great win but Galway were brutal. I'd say 75-80% of our scores were taken under virtually no pressure so I wouldn't get too carried away. Good that we have our fate in our own hands going into the last match, huge game next weekend against Tyrone.

I thought our kickouts were much improved today, loads of movement which meant Clarke had options although some of that may have been down to Galway being way off it

As an aside, how did Sean Andy not get a yellow for persistent fouling? Him and the keeper have to be worries for Joyce going into championship

Sean Andy had lost his place to Mulkerrin during the league (who had done very well). No idea why he was back in today. He actually looks like he's lost weight and got himself in good condition but he's awful undisciplined and prone to doing mad stuff at times. That said you're a hostage to fortune if you are marking O'Shea one on one at the edge of the square when there is zero pressure on the ball out the field and Mayo players have time and space to float balls into him.

Lar Naparka

As a Maigheo go deo man, I'm very satisfied with today's win but not carried away. Tosach maith leath na h-oibre.
Mayo have been underperforming against Galway for 5 years at least and even if the heron chokers were piss poor today, the monkey has been lifted off our backs if you know what I mean.
Tommy and Matt in particular were newcomers who had mighty games and I know the going will be harder in times to come but they have the talent to go places and without that, no amount of hard graft will make it up for a lack of it.
Ross will not be easy. I would be more confident of beating Tyrone than the sheep shaggers but I'd take nothing for granted. However, yesterday was a good start.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 19, 2020, 12:41:10 AM
As a Maigheo go deo man, I'm very satisfied with today's win but not carried away. Tosach maith leath na h-oibre.
Mayo have been underperforming against Galway for 5 years at least and even if the heron chokers were piss poor today, the monkey has been lifted off our backs if you know what I mean.
Tommy and Matt in particular were newcomers who had mighty games and I know the going will be harder in times to come but they have the talent to go places and without that, no amount of hard graft will make it up for a lack of it.
Ross will not be easy. I would be more confident of beating Tyrone than the sheep shaggers but I'd take nothing for granted. However, yesterday was a good start.

Fair but I don't know why people tend to forget the big championship encounter we had with Galway last year where we pretty much tore them up , in fact we would of beaten Galway by a lot more if we didn't take our foot off the pedal last year , we exposed their defensive frailties which are still there , they have no answer to mayos running game when they go at it and Horan will have that perfected over the next 18-24 months with a fairly new team . Galway have a problem and it's not an easy one to solve , they can have 100 shane walshes but you need Colm Boyles lee keegans Keith Higgins Chris Barrett type bucks too , when you look at Mayo bringing in Oisín Mullen and Padraig o hora you start to believe we might have a decent side coming through again but it will take a while for us to get anywhere near the level we've seen 13-17 .

I agree with you Roscommon will be a massive challenge, they have an edge to them and won't allow our bucks to steamroll them that's for sure ala 2017 replay type stuff . I wouldn't worry too much about this year , next year and the year after will see Mayo more primed to challenge . Staying up would be a massive boost but again Tyrone will be so different to yesterday , you'll never be afforded the type of space and standoffish approach Galway had against any Tyrone team .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

This is how the table looks with one round remaining:

Team   P   W   D   L   +/-    Pts.
Kerry   6   4   1   1   7   9
Dublin  6   3   2   1   8   8
Galway  6    4    0    2    7    8
Donegal 6    3    1    2    22   7
Tyrone  6    3   0    3    -18    6
Mayo   6    2    1    3    1    5
Monaghan6    2    1    3    -1   5
Meath   6    0    0    6    -26    0

Meath gone despite being competitive in most of their 6 games and one from Mayo/Tyrone/Monaghan to follow them.

A win v Tyrone guarantees Mayo stay up; a loss guarantees we go down; a draw means we need Meath to beat Monaghan.
A draw or a win guarantees Tyrone stay up, even a loss would be enough if Monaghan lose
A draw or win guarantees Monaghan stay up since they have both Mayo & Tyrone in the head to head; a loss is enough if Mayo lose

Odds to be relegated:

Tyrone 8/11
Mayo 13/8
Monaghan 9/2

At the top, Kerry look hot favourites (1/5 with the bookies) playing Donegal who are safe, only have an outside chance of topping the table (need Galway/Dublin to draw) and are facing Tyrone in the championship the following week.

seafoid

This year the All Ireland will be like the late 90s with no back door. Galway and Mayo were neck and neck and whoever lost was out.
The matches were unmissable with both teams giving it everything.  Mayo were unlucky not to land Sam in 96 and 97. The experence of losing those years to a team playing at the highest level served Galway well in 98.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on October 19, 2020, 10:47:27 AM
This year the All Ireland will be like the late 90s with no back door. Galway and Mayo were neck and neck and whoever lost was out.
The matches were unmissable with both teams giving it everything.  Mayo were unlucky not to land Sam in 96 and 97. The experence of losing those years to a team playing at the highest level served Galway well in 98.

Truth be known ye shouldn't of got out of Castlebar in 98 , in fairness the best smash n grab of all time to land Sam that year , Kildare in the final , if carlsberg did all Ireland final opposition
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

dublin7

Quote from: larryin89 on October 19, 2020, 11:06:10 AM

Truth be known ye shouldn't of got out of Castlebar in 98 , in fairness the best smash n grab of all time to land Sam that year , Kildare in the final , if carlsberg did all Ireland final opposition

Kerry in 97 was even easier. Cavan in the semifinals and easy win against Mayo in the final.

An Fhairche Abu

Lord above, things are bad enough for Galway football followers today without having to read the likes of that nonsense.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 19, 2020, 12:18:07 PM

Lord above, things are bad enough for Galway football followers today without having to read the likes of that nonsense.

Maybe NPHET closed the schools after all and didn't tell us.

Maroon Manc

Not much more to add, I left the house in a rage at half time so didn't see the 2nd half. I hope there is mitigating circumstances for that performance.

I thought at the time it was a bad move but didn't the Mayo championship finish 3 weeks before the Galway championship? I don't think Galway had any games prior to yesterday either in comparison to Mayo who had a few. Even so that's no excuse for what we saw yesterday but that's far from ideal preparation, Galway played like a team who trained yesterday morning.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 19, 2020, 12:44:31 PM
Not much more to add, I left the house in a rage at half time so didn't see the 2nd half. I hope there is mitigating circumstances for that performance.

I thought at the time it was a bad move but didn't the Mayo championship finish 3 weeks before the Galway championship? I don't think Galway had any games prior to yesterday either in comparison to Mayo who had a few. Even so that's no excuse for what we saw yesterday but that's far from ideal preparation, Galway played like a team who trained yesterday morning.

We really will have no clue what shape they are in until probably the Connacht final. Dubs next week with a weakened team again. Potential for another bad defeat depending on the teams selected. And with respect to Sligo they'll probably beat them anyway even with players missing. Only thing for sure is the winner of Mayo v Roscommon will definitely be hot favourites now going into a Connacht final.

macdanger2

Any word on Comer's injury? And when is Walsh due back? Without those two, I wouldn't fancy Galway to win Connacht, much less be a worry to Dublin

Main Street

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 19, 2020, 10:29:12 AM

Meath gone despite being competitive in most of their 6 games and one from Mayo/Tyrone/Monaghan to follow them.

A win v Tyrone guarantees Mayo stay up; a loss guarantees we go down; a draw means we need Meath to beat Monaghan.
A draw or a win guarantees Tyrone stay up, even a loss would be enough if Monaghan lose
A draw or win guarantees Monaghan stay up since they have both Mayo & Tyrone in the head to head; a loss is enough if Mayo lose

Odds to be relegated:

Tyrone 8/11
Mayo 13/8
Monaghan 9/2

At the top, Kerry look hot favourites (1/5 with the bookies) playing Donegal who are safe, only have an outside chance of topping the table (need Galway/Dublin to draw) and are facing Tyrone in the championship the following week.
It's handy for Monaghan to have the head to head on both Mayo and Tyrone.
Though if it were Tyrone to go down we would miss them,  this is about the only senior competition we can beat them in.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 19, 2020, 01:12:41 PM
Any word on Comer's injury? And when is Walsh due back? Without those two, I wouldn't fancy Galway to win Connacht, much less be a worry to Dublin
Worrying Dublin is the absolute last thing on the mind of anyone from Galway, that was a shambles yesterday. Galway had far more fundamental issues in the performance yesterday than the absence of those two players it has to be said.

Comer sounds done for the year going by Joyce's post-match comments and either way he has not had a run of matches injury free in a long, long time. Shane Walsh shipped serious punishment in the Intermediate club championship and is carrying various ankle and knee knocks. Keep him in cotton wool until he absolutely must play.
There's another player that needs to be mentioned in terms of injuries as well, you cannot overstate the loss of John Daly to that team really in my opinion and he is done for the year, he has been a consistent and top performer for Galway since he stepped up to Senior in 2019 at a key position. Even in the poor performance to Mayo in the championship last year, Daly was one of the two or three who played well and kept going despite only being the kid of the team.

James Horan is getting back into the early 2010's groove of handing Galway their arses on a plate, his team have completely outfought and outclassed Galway the last two match ups, while not nice to be on the receiving end of it you've have to say it was superb football from Mayo yesterday, it must have been a joy to watch for Mayo fans and neutrals.

Lads there yesterday that have been talked up to the last for their club exploits, Liam Silke has a reputation from the top class club performances which he simply doesn't deserve at IC level, he's been cleaned a load of times. Leonard wasn't even great for Corofin in the club championship this summer, crazy bringing him into the team in poor form. SAOC was put in an impossible position yesterday, isolated with ball after ball coming in due to failures out the field, but he cannot stop fouling, doesn't look to have it at this level.
I felt fairly bad for O'Donnell and Conroy yesterday who were putting in an effort that wasn't in the slightest matched by their comrades.

If Galway get some of the absent players back you'd expect some performance improvement (it's hard to imagine they could ever play worse than yesterday but then you see what's on the horizon next Sunday) but the kick out strategy has been an ongoing issue for years and even in February and March it was noted as a major problem for this setup still, GK is a vital position in the sport these days and although he was in a shambles yesterday Gleeson was a good shot stopper in the other league games this year. His kick outs were not that hot though and they have not improved at all in the interim.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 19, 2020, 10:29:12 AM

Odds to be relegated:

Tyrone 8/11
Mayo 13/8
Monaghan 9/2

Going on what I watched yesterday I'd say Tyrone will join Meath in division 2 next year.

Not sure how much training and challenge games was played but Mayo are at championship pace already and are very match sharp. Tyrone looked very sluggish in comparison and Donegal waltz in for a number of easy scores that doesn't normally happen against a well drilled and organised Tyrone defence.