Reaching out the hand of friendship

Started by Orior, December 20, 2007, 10:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Its the season to be jolly, and the one thing that we share with OWC is our love/hate relationship with England/Engerland/Angerland/Mother Nation/Empire (delete as appropriate).

So lets all laugh together at the success of their cricket team (owc's national sport?)

Sri Lanka (wee Island off India) 499-8 declared
England (home of the British Empire and funder of the Commonwealth) 61-6
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Orior on December 20, 2007, 10:44:33 AM
England (home of the British Empire and funder of the Commonwealth) 61-6
intentional misspelling?

thejuice

499-8 to 61-6?? Jesus those goalies must be woeful, you'd think the Sri-lankans would ease up and start kicking points though, theres no need to rub it in with all the goals,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

nifan

I despise cricket, made play it in school at times and it bored me silly.

Still good to see england beat - when they won the ashes it was amazing - calls to make cricket their national sport :D

Orior

Good one juice!

You read too much into that LB. Just meant the financing.

Lecale2

81 all out. Following on. This must be some kind of record.

Square Ball

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England 46 all out v West Indies at Trinidad, 1993/4

Ambrose dismissing Atherton first ball

After fine bowling from Andy Caddick, England needed just 194 to win but were immediately on the back foot when Curtly Ambrose trapped Mike Atherton lbw first ball of the innings.

The writing was on the wall, and Ambrose finished with six for 24 in 10 brilliant overs to go with first innings figures of five for 60. Only Alec Stewart, with 18, reached double figures.

Courtney Walsh weighed in with the other three wickets and Atherton, on his first tour as England captain, had plenty to ponder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

venter

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 20, 2007, 12:54:00 PM
81 all out. Following on. This must be some kind of record.

under what circumstances do a team have to follow on? is it a disadvantage?

screenexile

Follow-on
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Follow-on is a term used in the sport of cricket to describe a situation where a team is forced to take its second innings immediately after its first.

In some cricket matches each team has only one innings of batting; follow-on in such a case is obviously inapplicable - it is found only in the longer (more traditional) two-innings-each match. Normally, in such a match, the two teams would take turns batting — first team A, then team B, then A again, then B again (if necessary — possibly A's two innings combined still do not match B's first innings total, in which case B has already won without needing its second innings).

However, if Team B scores substantially fewer runs than Team A in its first innings, Team A can force Team B take its second turn at bat immediately (to "follow on"), so that the order of the innings is A, B, B, and, if necessary, A again. In its second innings, Team B is then said to be "following on". This rules governing the circumstances in which follow-on may be enforced are found in Law 13 of the Laws of cricket.

Since traditional cricket matches are recorded as a draw if the time allotted (generally five days) expires without a definitive on-field result, a Team B trailing by a wide margin often has a strong incentive to play very conservatively — instead of boldly trying to make up the difference, they will simply try very carefully not to let themselves be dismissed, thus abandoning any hope of victory but working hard to ensure a draw. In such a case a Team A, by enforcing follow-on, can try counteract this trend, moving such delaying tactics forward by a day or so. Sometimes the trailing Team B cannot even in its two consecutive innings match Team A's impressive first-innings score, in which case follow-on saves a considerable amount of time; if on the other hand the trailing Team B does manage to make up the gap and establish its own lead in its second innings, the final day of play will be marked by the energetic batting of Team A trying to speed up play, rather than the conservative batting of Team B trying to slow it down.

If it were unable to enforce follow-on, Team A would potentially face a very agonizing decision in its second innings — at what point should it declare and forfeit the remainder of its innings to save precious time?
Contents

stew

I remember a test series where engerland had to follow on and Botham went on a rampage and the english ended up winning the test, they were all but dead and he carried them on his own with an amazing performance with both the  bat and bowling.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Quote from: stew on December 20, 2007, 05:53:36 PM
I remember a test series where engerland had to follow on and Botham went on a rampage and the english ended up winning the test, they were all but dead and he carried them on his own with an amazing performance with both the  bat and bowling.

Doubt that will happen this time Stew. The british will have to stick to what they're good at: being lazy whinging reality show addicts who buy ciggies at the corner shop owned by a packie that they hate. No wait, thats unionists. Hey the english are okay!

stew

Quote from: Orior on December 20, 2007, 08:15:41 PM
Quote from: stew on December 20, 2007, 05:53:36 PM

Doubt that will happen this time Stew. The british will have to stick to what they're good at: being lazy whinging reality show addicts who buy ciggies at the corner shop owned by a packie that they hate. No wait, thats unionists. Hey the english are okay!

:D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.