Meath V Donegal

Started by J70, July 03, 2017, 11:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Hard luck to Meath. Hopefully it is something to build on and Mayo will shortly be vacating some space...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: J70 on July 08, 2017, 07:54:51 PM
Sorry Hardy lad, that was unlucky.

Important win for us though, even if we are not going beyond the quarters.

Apparently a fine score from McBrearty to win it.

Highland boys not happy with the disallowed goal before half time.🙂

It sounded as if Donegal had the bit of know-how to fashion the win in a tight finish. I had no confidence we would do it, given our lack of experience of this sort of situation. Really disappointed to lose it, but encouraged that we made a fist of being competitive under pressure. The danger is that the experience will go to loss with a six month break to the next competitive outing.

seafoid

Meath have to get out of d2 next year. Maybe they are not far behind the flourbags.

Jinxy

Just back in the door.
Disappointed with the result, but an improved performance from the Sligo game and no shortage of hard work & endeavour.
We did well defensively and around the middle.
Still no coherent attacking plan though.
Cillian O'Sullivan had no idea how to play at FF and alternated between standing beside the goalkeeper and making runs 5 seconds too late (to the wrong place).
Graham Reilly was poor again, I assume he's carrying an injury.
Menton & Conlon did well around the middle.
Conlon needs to hit the gym as he was out-muscled on a couple of occasions but he's that 'running' type of tall player we badly need around the middle.
Menton made a super catch in the first half over Murphy's head and got forward to kick a great point in the 2nd half.
Lenihan & McEntee were the pick of the forwards with McEntee growing in confidence and taking on the Donegal defence every chance he got.
There's a decent foundation there to build upon, but we badly need to sharpen our cutting edge up front.
For me, Donegal deserved the win and had that bit of class and guile in Murphy & McBrearty that we lacked.
Lovely evening for football and a good crowd there from both counties.
Best of luck to Donegal the next day, the fans around me were a lovely bunch and there was a great family atmosphere with the grass banks being invaded despite 'The Man' saying they were closed!
Health & safety bedamned.  :)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omagh_gael

Not much criac here lads. Listened to this on the wireless and it sounded like a classic...well the last quarter anyway.

Hardy

Yes. I can't wait to see the fifteen seconds of highlights on TSG tonight.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Hardy on July 09, 2017, 01:36:20 PM
Yes. I can't wait to see the fifteen seconds of highlights on TSG tonight.

...and they'll more than likely show the big moments in that stupid snapshot segment they show at the beginning of the programme.

Jinxy

Believe me, it was far from a classic.
Exciting tight finish alright, but I found it a very frustrating game to watch.

samwin08

Fantastic atmosphere at the game , Meath supporters really got behind team, it's a terrible pity about the toilets for men and women, disgraceful facilities

Jinxy

Are the womens' toilets bad?
Was never in them.

thejuice

Do women use toilets?

Didn't get to hear or see it. Hadn't a huge amount of hope for us but I guess we didn't disgrace ourselves. Overall it's hard to argue if we made any real progress this year. If there was it wasn't significant enough to really note. We didn't get promoted and we didn't get through the qualifiers or reach the provincial final.

There was some fight in the closing stages of games which wasn't there last year and the fitness levels went up a bit. But that wasn't enough to swing more games in our favor. Still need more talent in the backs and midfield (Rooney's return might help). There's some good talent in the forwards but there needs to be some thought behind how to make them a cohesive attacking unit.

Till next year amigos.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Mayo4Sam

Heard McEntee on the radio he made an interesting point about the chasing group of teams, you're doing your best training during the summer but the top 4 are getting an extra month at least every year and it's hard to catch up as they are always pulling away
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

twohands!!!

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 18, 2017, 11:10:46 PM
Heard McEntee on the radio he made an interesting point about the chasing group of teams, you're doing your best training during the summer but the top 4 are getting an extra month at least every year and it's hard to catch up as they are always pulling away

One of the Tipp player mentioned in an article I read somewhere lately that the additional length of their run last year definitely helped them in terms of getting fitness back for the league this year.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on July 09, 2017, 03:17:51 PM
Are the womens' toilets bad?
Was never in them.
Do they not have gender neutral toilets for intersex fans ? Gender is like county allegiance. A social construct.