Petrolhead culture

Started by Eamonnca1, March 24, 2024, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

In my view sometimes it takes a close call or a friend/family/community member to unfortunately lose their lives on the roads for it to hit home to young ones what impact driving can have, not even dangerous driving at that. 

For young ones, possible overconfidence can lead to accidents.  Like driving down a familiar road at speed etc.  I know a few that have written off cars on roads less than a mile from home, just because they think they know every inch of it, gives them the right to drive it how they please. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

gallsman

Completely agree, that's absolute moronic and shocking that's never been looked at. I'm driving 20 years at this stage and I still remember being a touch nervous the first time I was on the motorway by myself. My father made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that despite the fact I'd got my licence, I wasn't too go near the motorway until I'd done it first with him.

That said, I don't think too many of these accidents are happening on motorways.

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2024, 10:19:35 AM
Quote from: general_lee on March 25, 2024, 10:17:50 AMTeaching learners how to drive on the motorway would be a start. Absolutely ridiculous 1. That they aren't and 2.
They're restricted to 45mph on a road where most users bomb on at 80+

There are less deaths on a motorway than country roads I'd imagine. It's country roads which are killing people
Motorways are the safest roads to travel on but where else are they going to learn how a vehicle handles at 70mph?

Tony Baloney

Country roads are in poor enough shape after the winter so if you're bombing around a corner and you hit a pothole the margin for error is pretty small.

I wonder was it a 3 door car, which prevented people in the back getting out. The eldest fella has a 3 door car and I f**king hate it for that reason. I'm seriously considering swapping it.

Eire90

if you say you dont care about cars and have no intrest  in  cars they look at you like you are an alien with 6 heads  you will see these types at the donegal  rally in june they have no intrest in rallying either just there to show off

i dont mind motorsports  but have no interest in cars they really are just a thing to get from a to b but there is big car worship culture in this country another false idol you could say and people just except road traffic deaths like its some sacrifice to some car god.

marty34

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 25, 2024, 10:27:00 AMCountry roads are in poor enough shape after the winter so if you're bombing around a corner and you hit a pothole the margin for error is pretty small.

I wonder was it a 3 door car, which prevented people in the back getting out. The eldest fella has a 3 door car and I f**king hate it for that reason. I'm seriously considering swapping it.

Fair point Tony.

Never thought about it in them terms.

tonto1888

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2024, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 09:39:39 AMThe black box thing is a load of shite. Driving too slow is hazardous as well. Limiting young ones to 1.2 litre would make more sense.

The box is to keep within the speed limits, are you encouraging driving over the limits?

Talk me through that

the lad just likes to be controversial. Thinks it makes him look cool

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on March 25, 2024, 10:22:21 AM
Quote from: general_lee on March 25, 2024, 10:17:50 AMTeaching learners how to drive on the motorway would be a start. Absolutely ridiculous 1. That they aren't and 2.

There are less deaths on a motorway than country roads I'd imagine. It's country roads which are killing people
Motorways are the safest roads to travel on but where else are they going to learn how a vehicle handles at 70mph?

Country roads are 60 for large parts, dropping to 50, 40 and 30 coming into towns. No need to learn to be at 70mph, I'm not sure there is evidence that learning to drive at 70mph on the safest roads (motorways) will help youngsters on country roads with blind spots, dips and exits/entry roads
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 25, 2024, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 09:39:39 AMThe black box thing is a load of shite. Driving too slow is hazardous as well. Limiting young ones to 1.2 litre would make more sense.

The box is to keep within the speed limits, are you encouraging driving over the limits?

Talk me through that

A young driver sitting at 45 mph on a main road with a queue of traffic behind them isn't a good thing for any road user.

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 25, 2024, 11:11:12 AM

Talk me through that

A young driver sitting at 45 mph on a main road with a queue of traffic behind them isn't a good thing for any road user.

the black box doesnt limit you to that

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2024, 10:49:54 AM
Quote from: general_lee on March 25, 2024, 10:22:21 AM

Country roads are 60 for large parts, dropping to 50, 40 and 30 coming into towns. No need to learn to be at 70mph, I'm not sure there is evidence that learning to drive at 70mph on the safest roads (motorways) will help youngsters on country roads with blind spots, dips and exits/entry roads
I think there is every need for a new, inexperienced driver to learn what it's like to have control of a machine at 70mph in a supervised environment, surely that's infinitely better than just letting them f**k around and find out once they've passed.

whitey

The technology is there to prevent these tragedies

ShutterinbyDayGAAbyNight

Our roads are full of gobshites who would rather risk their own (and others) life than arrive at a destination 10 minutes late.

lurganblue

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on March 25, 2024, 10:19:52 AMIn my view sometimes it takes a close call or a friend/family/community member to unfortunately lose their lives on the roads for it to hit home to young ones what impact driving can have, not even dangerous driving at that. 

For young ones, possible overconfidence can lead to accidents.  Like driving down a familiar road at speed etc.  I know a few that have written off cars on roads less than a mile from home, just because they think they know every inch of it, gives them the right to drive it how they please. 

I think about this sometimes now when I'm driving as I have certainly changed now that I have gotten older. Now i'm not saying I was a complete tube in my early 20s but I didnt like to be stuck behind someone that I perceived to be crawling. I did have a very near miss while overtaking on a straight section of a country road that I thought I knew well.  A car came out of the hidden dip straight on and I was so lucky to avoid a serious collision. I was in the car by myself too so it isn't as if I was playing the big one to peers.  It certainly put manners on me.

Age has certainly also changed my need to drive on the upper side of the speed limit, and the mythical 10% you are allowed.

Would ye whist

He knows everything, or at least thinks he does, could start an argument in an empty house

Talk me through that