Shamrock Rovers Ultras

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, April 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darbyo

In fairness Dublinfella I don't believe TD think that the 'Tallaght stadium' issue will be the key issue for anybody during the election they were just asking members to bring it to the attention of local politicians that they support their club and politicians that do'nt support the club on this issue may lose the vote of some of the TD members (that's hardly subversive is it?).As for your comment about the GAA having precious little political clout, well that's just nonsensical and irrelevant. You've said that on a few occassions during this circular and long drawn out debate and it adds nothing to your arguement. And I'm not sure I follow your logic  as regards the question I asked you earlier, I asked why are the govt. paying for this if SR are willing to pay for it and you said

because they feel the area needs a decent soccer facility and a high profile anchor tenent. the stadium as designed will return an overall profit for SDCC after a few years.

that and they cannot be seen to let TD win.

but if SR pay for it then the area still gets a decent soccer facility and a high profile owner, your opinion about making a profit in a
few years is surely only that, an opinion. So the govt. saving face seems to be the only reason that the govt. and by extension the tax payer is oaying for this.

dublinfella

Quote from: darbyo on April 30, 2007, 07:35:50 PM
In fairness Dublinfella I don't believe TD think that the 'Tallaght stadium' issue will be the key issue for anybody during the election they were just asking members to bring it to the attention of local politicians that they support their club and politicians that do'nt support the club on this issue may lose the vote of some of the TD members (that's hardly subversive is it?).As for your comment about the GAA having precious little political clout, well that's just nonsensical and irrelevant. You've said that on a few occassions during this circular and long drawn out debate and it adds nothing to your arguement. And I'm not sure I follow your logic  as regards the question I asked you earlier, I asked why are the govt. paying for this if SR are willing to pay for it and you said

because they feel the area needs a decent soccer facility and a high profile anchor tenent. the stadium as designed will return an overall profit for SDCC after a few years.

that and they cannot be seen to let TD win.

but if SR pay for it then the area still gets a decent soccer facility and a high profile owner, your opinion about making a profit in a
few years is surely only that, an opinion. So the govt. saving face seems to be the only reason that the govt. and by extension the tax payer is oaying for this.

I dont know enough of the ins and outs from the Rovers end, all i know is the stadium at 10,000 is expected to turn a profit from a combination of a cut of Rovers revenues and rental, and have paid for itself within around 15 years. I heard they offered to scratch the deal and pay their way but the SDCC said no. The minutae of the deal Im not privy to.

Profoundly the reason the political classes have dug their heels in is the pandoras box TD will open if a competetor gets an input into the funding of other sports. And banning a senior politician is just an red rag to them all.

Im not saying its subversive, Im saying its against the apolitical (party political at least) rules of the organisation to 'target' certain politicians and ask the Taoiseach to remove the Minister for Sport.

It's not nonsensical or irrelevent to look at how the GAA's clout has wained in this context. They are the ones abusing ministers and banning others from their clubhouse. Too late to unring the political bell now it hasnt gone the GAA's way.... 20 years ago would a Kerry FF Minister and SF be backing a LoI club over a GAA club regardless of context? Kennedy just hasnt got the political nous to realise he hasnt got the cover he needs or the skills needed to effectivly lobby those who can give it to him. He is causing the GAA in South Dublin damage it will take years to repair. A number of clubs in the area have had PP delayed, pitches witrdrawn, funds witheld. All because the DCB incorrectly assumed that they were untouchable. Whoops.

darbyo

quote][/quote]Rovers have offered to finish the thing themselves now they are on an even keel again

then said,

I heard they offered to scratch the deal and pay their way but the SDCC said no. The minutae of the deal Im not privy to.

I was genuinly interested to hear the details of SR offer but it seems that it's  kind of 'heard it on the grapevine' stuff, so you should'nt really be bringing this into the discussion, especially when you chastised LoneShark for doing something similar only a few posts back(i.e making claims you can't substantiate). I would disagree with you as regards the GAA's political influence, it is still extremely strong IMO in the country in general but possibly not so strong in Dublin but again I would say that has always been the case. However it is an irrelevant point as it's a matter of opinion, not fact, one political reverse in an area which would'nt be a GAA stronghold is hardly evidence of a decline in GAA political influence, especially when the next leader of the country will be a Dublin GAA fanatic or the son of a Mayo footballer.   

dublinfella

Quote from: darbyo on April 30, 2007, 08:36:28 PM
quote]
Rovers have offered to finish the thing themselves now they are on an even keel again

then said,

I heard they offered to scratch the deal and pay their way but the SDCC said no. The minutae of the deal Im not privy to.

I was genuinly interested to hear the details of SR offer but it seems that it's  kind of 'heard it on the grapevine' stuff, so you should'nt really be bringing this into the discussion, especially when you chastised LoneShark for doing something similar only a few posts back(i.e making claims you can't substantiate). I would disagree with you as regards the GAA's political influence, it is still extremely strong IMO in the country in general but possibly not so strong in Dublin but again I would say that has always been the case. However it is an irrelevant point as it's a matter of opinion, not fact, one political reverse in an area which would'nt be a GAA stronghold is hardly evidence of a decline in GAA political influence, especially when the next leader of the country will be a Dublin GAA fanatic or the son of a Mayo footballer.   

[/quote]

the current leader of the country is a Dublin GAA fan, and he is on the record as supporting Rovers. we could play this all day. Kennedy dipped his toe in the political water and realised it was cold, rather than either withdraw from the battle or lobby effectivley he put it up to the political classes like the autocratic bully he is renowned to be. spectacular own goal and to say this is a 'reverse' doesnt do the situation round here in terms of planning permission, grants and continued use of council pitches justice. very telling that the biggest of the original 6 clubs has withdrawn support for the case.

the fact that Rovers offered to finish the stadium themselves seems to be fairly well established, what i dont know is was it to go back to the original deal or buy the land and what level of communality would be involved. the only reason I saw it is in response to the tedious line that they are freeloading when its actually the state who are the driving force here.

darbyo

We can agree to disagree about the political clout of the GAA and leave it at that. But again you can't sustantiate your claim about SR offering to pay for the whole job. I was listening to a representitive of SR 2/3 weeks back on the radio and he never mentioned this nor did SR in their recent statements on the topic. If they need to get into the ground and have the money to pay for it why have'nt they come out and said so and why do you support an organization that can pay for this but won't. I can understand why they would want the govt. to pay for it but I can't understand  you or anyone not directly involved in SR supporting a situation where they have the ability to contribute significantly but don't and the country has to fit the bill.

Rossfan

Quote from: darbyo on April 30, 2007, 09:20:42 PM
topic. If they need to get into the ground and have the money to pay for it why have'nt they come out and said so and why do you support an organization that can pay for this but won't. I can understand why they would want the govt. to pay for it but I can't understand  you or anyone not directly involved in SR supporting a situation where they have the ability to contribute significantly but don't and the country has to fit the bill.

How about they use the €1.5m the Council paid them to stop squatting on the Council's land >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blast05

QuoteA number of clubs in the area have had PP delayed

So let me get this straight - a number of GAA clubs in Dublin have had their planning permissions delayed because of Thomas Davis  ??

This is just complete bolloux and you know it. Back up you point with details or else just shut up.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: dublinfella on April 30, 2007, 07:11:51 PM
this would be the same Charlie O'Connor who has joined the 400 club and is at every Rovers home game and most away ones near Dublin? the same Charlie O'Connor who has done fundraising work for Rovers? If thats sensibly quiet I'm a chinaman.

;D

thank you.

Though I'm sure he won't thank you for outing him.

By the by, I was up at Thomas Davis last night. Fine setup they have up there. Tallaght stadium will complement it just nicely.

dublinfella

Quote from: blast05 on May 01, 2007, 01:04:21 AM

So let me get this straight - a number of GAA clubs in Dublin have had their planning permissions delayed because of Thomas Davis  ??

This is just complete bolloux and you know it. Back up you point with details or else just shut up.

Lucan Sarsfields for one.

Rossfan

Quote from: dublinfella on May 02, 2007, 07:51:54 PM

Caught out again Searrachfella --- check press releases on the South Dublin Council's website - no special hold ups -just normal
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublinfella

Quote from: Rossfan on May 02, 2007, 09:27:23 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on May 02, 2007, 07:51:54 PM

Caught out again Searrachfella --- check press releases on the South Dublin Council's website - no special hold ups -just normal

two national newspapers and whats happening on the ground say otherwise.

did you honestly expect that you could sue the dept of sport and SDCC and they would hand over cheques like nothing was wrong?

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on May 03, 2007, 01:32:32 AM

two national newspapers and whats happening on the ground say otherwise.

did you honestly expect that you could sue the dept of sport and SDCC and they would hand over cheques like nothing was wrong?

Which National Newspapers, specifically - have you got a link, and what's all this about "what's happening on the ground?" , what has that got to do with anything, what does that prove?

bottlethrower7

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 01, 2007, 10:16:01 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on April 30, 2007, 07:11:51 PM
this would be the same Charlie O'Connor who has joined the 400 club and is at every Rovers home game and most away ones near Dublin? the same Charlie O'Connor who has done fundraising work for Rovers? If thats sensibly quiet I'm a chinaman.

;D

thank you.

Though I'm sure he won't thank you for outing him.

ok, so no one picked up on this so let me spell it out.

- Dublin county council anncounces plan to take on the cost and the responsibility to develop Tallaght stadium to serve as a 'municipal' facility that will serve the community, and the many sports the community offers.
- Fianna Fail's minister for sport, Mr.O'Donoghue does a George Bush veto on that idea and says he'll pull funding unless the stadium is soccer-only and that Shamrock Rovers are anchor tenants.
- Another Fianna Fail TD, Charlie O'Connor, it turns out, is a member of the so-called 400 club in Shamrock Rovers, which have essentially taken over the running of the club.

Anyone see what I'm getting at? Do the words 'CONFLICT OF INTEREST' spring to anyone else's mind?

tayto

Bottle, of course you have to spell it out, otherwise he'd put the usual spin on it, or, as with anything fishy, he'll just ignore it.

typical FF sort of stuff. They've been at this shite for years.

hoop

Quote from: tayto on May 03, 2007, 10:03:12 AM
typical FF sort of stuff. They've been at this shite for years.

Yeah, terrible aren't they??? No doubt countless GAA clubs - Thomas Davis included - are queuing up to hand back the copious funding they received under Fianna Fail as a sign of protest.