Shamrock Rovers Ultras

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, April 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteThomas Davis are arguing that because public funding is involved they have a right to its use. The same argument will be turned and used against some GAA facility by a soccer or rugby club.

That is not their point at all and i'd love to know where you're getting that from.

The point is the County Council are building a municipal stadium in their catchment area and they want to be able to use it. As was initially agreed before John O'Donoghue waded in.

Lone Shark

Quote from: dublin15man on April 12, 2007, 04:13:51 PM

But my point is, that Thomas Davis are arguing that because public funding is involved they have a right to its use. The same argument will be turned and used against some GAA facility by a soccer or rugby club.

No they aren't - you haven't been listening. The SDCC decided that as a municipal stadium was being built, it should accomodate all the main spectator and participation sports in the area - the main ones being soccer and football. The minister weighed in by saying that he would only fund a soccer only stadium.

Thomas Davis are arguing that this was undue influence from the minister, and thus against the law. They are not arguing that the Government can't build a stadium for Rovers, or anyone they like - they are arguing that the Minister influenced the SDCC's decision.

I'm aware that subtle nuances tend to get lost on ye in general, but the Thomas Davis argument is not that if public funding was involved then they are entitled to a share.

Put it another way - Athlone Town got as near to total funding as made no difference for their new stadium. Garrycastle GAA club have not made the slightest move against this, despite being less than half a mile away. The difference is they were not earmarked to go into the stadium in the first place.

Now i don't think Athlone Town deserved such huge support either, but the difference is the law was not contravened here.

Kerry Mike

Good Relations first post:

QuoteIve just registered as a user of this forum as I have been keeping my eye on it for the last couple of days.First of all I apologise for that idiot Hooperama who ever he is.

After 10 pages the boot is on the other foot. I am now awaiting an apology for being called a f**ker.

QuoteThese f**kers appear to be using and abusing the grant funding to gain a complete strangle-hold on rural communities. As usual, many of the towns involved are so small that I've never heard of them - yet the handful of GAA members there get to build a clubhouse for themselves.

Good Relations you are showing yourself up. My club in Kerry is the only sporting organisation in a very small rural parish so are they not entitled to some grant aid to help develop facilities that are the main social outlet of the area. And yes some Jackeen would probably not have heard of them as we dont even class as a town only a small village of 200 people but the funding is welcome and was applied for under the same process that every other recepitant applied for including a detailed business plan.

Why did Shamrock Rovers not receive any fiunding under the Sports Grants or did they even apply. Maybe they were just waiting for someone to come with a handout again.

We are still waiting for the proof of the 3000 Rovers fans...
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

dubnut

Good relations........

"For what its worth Im not that PRAT hooperama or what ever his name was.But DubNut you come across as been even a bigger idiot than him"

And you say we come off as childish  ::)

"I bet ya have never even been to a Rovers Game"

If you read my previous posts about Shamrock Rovers fans you will see that I have had the misfortune of going to a few games.
Worst shower of knackers I ever came across.

Good Relations

Kerry Mike apologies about the F***ers post.But just as Im about this post theres that idiot Dubnut calling Rovers fans Knackers and some of you have the cheek to tell me that Im not here to debate..What do ya call them idiots that are just here to slag off Rovers fans

Regards the 3000 fans thing I can assure you that Rovers get at least 3000 home fans to every game and if were playing Pats,Bohs or Shels you can expect another 1000 away fans.We are playing Drogheda at home on friday week and read the match report in the star on Saturday they always mention the great support Rovers recieve and often mention 2500-3000 fans.

AZOffaly

OK 'Good' Relations. If we take you at your word that 'at least' 3000 HOME fans attend Shamrock Rovers games, why are they under reporting their gates? What's that all about?

Hardy

Note to Good Relations: Thanks for the tip-off. I intend to report the discrepancies in attendance figures, that you so kindly brought to our intention, to the Revenue Commissioners. I'm sure they'll be interested in checking them out. I don't take kindly to being robbed (on the double) and certainly not by a serial tax-evading, asset-stripping, debt-avoiding, wage non-paying, supplier-diddling "club" that invites members of my organisation to "fcuk off and die".

I'm sure your colleagues will be delighted with this contribution of yours to the course of events. Thanks again.

Of course, if I'm wrong about the tax-evasion, it simply means you're a liar. Either way, you might reflect on how you and your ilk have pissed people off enough to have your "club" reported to the tax authorities, the next time you consider unfurling an abusive, obscene banner.

magpie seanie

QuoteWhy did Shamrock Rovers not receive any fiunding under the Sports Grants or did they even apply. Maybe they were just waiting for someone to come with a handout again.

Simple really. You must OWN or have a long term lease on the property where the development work is to take place. A logical enough approach as you shouldn't plough money into somethnig that's immediate future is in doubt. At a stroke this explains why soccer clubs tend to not be successful in applying for these grants.

baoithe

Good Relations you are talking through your deriére with regard to Shamrock Rovers attendances. The following is a list of average attendances for last season. This is compiled by a few regulars on a League of Ireland forum where they take the official attendance listed for each game and offset it against the 'guestimates' of home and away fans who were at the games. The contributors to these figures are reliable and the method employed is surprisingly accurate. Anyway, here it is:

Derry City 3.200
Cork City 2.941
Sligo Rovers 1.806
Drogheda United 1.751
Shelbourne 1.690
Bohemians 1.463
St. Patrick's Athletic 1.342
Bray Wanderers 1.027
Waterford United 915
Longford Town 702
UCD 546
Dublin City 488
Overall - 1.548

Galway United 1.148
Shamrock Rovers 1.089
Dundalk FC 1.078
Finn Harps 428
Athlone Town 421
Cobh Ramblers 368
Limerick 364
Kildare County 265
Monaghan United 204
Kilkenny City 122
Overall - 570

Further, I live just up the road from Tolka and I often hop down there if there is a game on. I have yet to see Shamrock Rovers have 3,000 at a home game. Wait, actually I would say the cup game against St Pats last year had close on 3,000.
I should add that attendances for Shamrock Rovers this season are averaging about the 2,000 mark but its early days yet.

Captain Scarlet

the gaa published an extensive club manual last year and all clubs in the country must consult this before anything happens.

there are strict procedures getting these grants so as to ensure clubs aren't operating beyond their means. someone should send a few copies to the eircom leaugue lads.

as is the basic ethos of gaa also the volunteer is hugely important which is missing in the soccer. christ where are all the fans when shels really need them.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

deiseach

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 12, 2007, 06:52:22 PM
as is the basic ethos of gaa also the volunteer is hugely important which is missing in the soccer. christ where are all the fans when shels really need them.

In fairness, the vast majority of people involved in local soccer don't ever get a washer for their troubles, nor do they expect anything. The GAA doesn't have a monopoly on the volunteer ethos.

Fishead_Sam

Re: Shamrock Rovers Ultras
« Reply #155 on: Today at 05:41:14 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Relations you are talking through your deriére with regard to Shamrock Rovers attendances. The following is a list of average attendances for last season. This is compiled by a few regulars on a League of Ireland forum where they take the official attendance listed for each game and offset it against the 'guestimates' of home and away fans who were at the games. The contributors to these figures are reliable and the method employed is surprisingly accurate. Anyway, here it is:

Derry City 3.200
Cork City 2.941
Sligo Rovers 1.806
Drogheda United 1.751
Shelbourne 1.690
Bohemians 1.463
St. Patrick's Athletic 1.342
Bray Wanderers 1.027
Waterford United 915
Longford Town 702
UCD 546
Dublin City 488
Overall - 1.548

Galway United 1.148
Shamrock Rovers 1.089
Dundalk FC 1.078
Finn Harps 428
Athlone Town 421
Cobh Ramblers 368
Limerick 364
Kildare County 265
Monaghan United 204
Kilkenny City 122
Overall - 570

Further, I live just up the road from Tolka and I often hop down there if there is a game on. I have yet to see Shamrock Rovers have 3,000 at a home game. Wait, actually I would say the cup game against St Pats last year had close on 3,000.
I should add that attendances for Shamrock Rovers this season are averaging about the 2,000 mark but its early days yet.

Base on both divisons combined, with a quick tot, that comes to 23,928 combined, that would be considered 1 very bad attendance for 1 GAA match.

Actually Mayo V Dublin in the league had about the same crowd, thats just 1 league match.

Why is soccer on the GAA Board, it should be on the other one

deiseach

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on April 12, 2007, 07:30:34 PM
Base on both divisons combined, with a quick tot, that comes to 23,928 combined, that would be considered 1 very bad attendance for 1 GAA match.

Actually Mayo V Dublin in the league had about the same crowd, thats just 1 league match.

It's even worse than that. Given a full round of league matches, only half the teams would be at home. You'd fill the Basilica in Knock, but only just.

magickingdom

Good Relations:
"Lastly, just as an overall suggestion to get the GAA lads thinking...Supposed a soccer club asked to use a publicly funded GAA ground as there home pitch for a season..What would the reaction be. Suppose Cork city for example wanted to play in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cork..I know what the reaction would be down there."

to get the gaa lads thinking? you do get the irony here? once upon a time the fai had a stadium in cork called flower lodge (always liked the name), but they SOLD it to the gaa. its now called pairc ui rinn and no you cant come back in to play... unbelievable

Good Relations

All you can seem to do is slag Shamrock Rovers off.That doesn't say too much for you.The attendance for Rovers vs Pats last season was a sellout which amounts to about 6,500.And were not talking attendances as a whole here.I have no doubt that GAA matches have massive attendances compared to Soccer matches.The point was that if the soccer only stadium becomes a multi purpose stadium the capacity would be greatly reduced and this would not benefit Rovers as Id say once we get to Tallaght (and of that Im sure) Roverws average gate will be around 5-6 thousand.