Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2019, 02:05:22 PM
Saw a great tweet earlier:

YET MORE ANIT CORBYN BIAS FROM THE ELECTORATE

Sums it up fairly well.

Brilliant, the weakest leader of men ever. Sat on the fence time and time again.

Boycey

Does Wee Jamie ever sleep? His Twitter seems to operate around the clock.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Boycey on December 13, 2019, 06:27:25 PM
Does Wee Jamie ever sleep? His Twitter seems to operate around the clock.

The power of Buckfast my man.
i usse an speelchekor

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on December 13, 2019, 04:38:36 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 13, 2019, 04:13:55 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on December 13, 2019, 09:59:45 AM
Hanna and Eastwood will be articulate MPs who will explain the nationalist position in London very well.  All necessary to keep progressing towards a New Ireland.  In contrast, what is the point of MPs like Micky Brady and Francie Molloy.  I literally couldn't tell you what they do from one week to the next.
Don't know Francie but Mickey a superb representative couldn't do enough for you.

Representation is for local councillors.

MPs should lead.

Yes, Brady might be a good worker on the ground but he should not be standing as MP imo. A progressive candidate in the mould of Finucane would connect much better with younger voters, a statue could get elected under the SF banner in Newry and Armagh constituency.

ardtole

I thought both Claire Hanna and John Finucane spoke very well after being elected. No triumphalism, humble as if they were on the beginning of a journey. Hanna was questioned if she was thankful for being the recipient of "borrowed votes", and she replied, "every vote is borrowed". I thought it was a great answer on the spot.

John Finucane was statesmanlike, didnt mention the dreadful poster campaign that his family was dragged into, he rose above the sectarian slandering that the dup tried to drag him into. He spoke of wanting to represent all of north Belfast, and sounded genuine. He has real leadership qualities and its surely only a matter of time before he replaces Oneill.

During the last leaders debate ( I actually thought she performed well) but at times I thought she was trying to control herself from laughing, did anyone else notice that?

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 13, 2019, 07:42:50 AM
Quote from: TheOptimist on December 13, 2019, 06:15:41 AM
Not a bad night locally in end up. Some win for Eastwood, he got the message across well obviously. Have seen Dodds face yet, should be good to see  ;D

I told yous weeks ago on here Elisha do little was snookered, Derry people very indepentent and free thinking, jesus like who even are Paul Maskey and francie Malloy

Yous voted her in in the first place...lol.  She's a very poor candidate - Eastwood said he'll stop Brexit if elected: another waffler.

SDLP will be happy - back in the game with a free run in sth. Belfast and an open goal in Foyle with Mc Calllion taking selfies in hotel rooms and knocking doors mentioning debt collectors.  They'll take the oath and sit on the green benches and do nothing in fairness.

Generally, SF will publically be happy in saying they had a good election re: keeping seats except Derry/Strabane. Privately, they'll be saying, they got off lightly - vote down in places like sth. Down and west Belfast.  Could have been worse but they've got a boot in the backside and that should focus minds.  JF the one bright light - a genuinely good candidate but in the north, there are very few of them about - clever, well spoken and genuine.

DUP will be having meetings in the back rooms - led by their team in London and failed to read the mood in the wee 6.  Then when they knew the game was up, they still kept up with the little englander policy.  Very poor judgement by their leadership.

Alliance bouncing along nicely - some result by Farry, who comes across as a nice guy.  They be looking to make gains in west in council and assembly elections after this.  They've taken over the UU party as the soft unionist vote takers.  Have they a future?

Are Aontú finished? Abortion didn't seem to be an issue this election - will it be in the future?  Is the TUV finished as a party after pulling out and will we see just 1 unionist party from now on?

Was there 'vote lending' this election and will they go back in an assembly election and how it's a PR election could see a different set up in the final seats.  The times are a changing!

Belfast is now a nationalist city and that's a big blow for unionists who are now in the minorty mp wise for the first time - that's a huge blow for them for sure.  How will they react - will the treat us as equals or dig the trenches deeper?

What struck me, apart from John F, was the lack of quality candidates in all the parties - very weak in my opinion.  Not many in my opinion.  If I was in leadership, I'd go headhunting candidates from now on!

playwiththewind1st

Politicians ought to be magnanimous in victory & dignified in defeat. Very rarely that you could say that the DUP display either quality.

marty34

Hanna and Eastwood will be articulate MPs who will explain the nationalist position in London very well.  All necessary to keep progressing towards a New Ireland.  In contrast, what is the point of MPs like Micky Brady and Francie Molloy.  I literally couldn't tell you what they do from one week to the next.

Hanna and Eastwood will make no difference in London - Eastwood said he'll stop Brexit, if elected. Good luck with that a chara! 

Hanna, on the other hand, is likeable but as they were saying on the radio today, she is too nice - full of general soundbites but where does she stand on a re-united Ireland etc.  Won't commit or rock the boat.  Be neutral and bei g everybody's friend won't go on forever.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 13, 2019, 02:18:18 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 13, 2019, 02:05:28 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 13, 2019, 12:27:04 PM
Personally quite gutted at the results in England and Wales. It's clear this was about Brexit and the people in those areas are steadfastly determined to jump off the cliff. I find it astonishing but I can understand it given the wall to wall coverage it has received.

As usual some unfair and inaccurate comment on Corbyn. I think he has done a tremendous job in making Labour stand for something again. I believe completely in the policies put forward and I know they are the only solution to growing wealth inequality, the jobs timebomb and the climate crisis. Eventually the people will realise this - hopefully before it's too late. I don't think he lost the election on his policy platform - the policies are popular. Brexit meant all bets were off. The Tories, like Trump in 2016, worked out what had to be said to win and the did it relentlessly. A winning strategy perhaps but that's a sad reflection on where we're at I'd say. Corbyn will go but Labour must stay the course with a modern social democratic alternative. Nothing worse than a country with two main parties offering the same.

The silver lining to the cloud is that a United Ireland is closer. I only hope and pray when it comes about we've moved away from the Varadkar/Murphy Tory style politics on this island and our kids get the United Ireland that brave people a century ago envisioned.

Its not about Brexit, its about racism and the uneducated little englander blaming Johnny Foreigner for all his woes.
Corbyn's policies were so popular he lost the election by a massive margin! A hard left Labour is going nowhere fast. Only a centre left Labour will be returned to power anytime soon. They should write this off as a failed experiment.

Spot on. If Labour doesn't learn from this they'll be in the wilderness until another Blair-like figure emerges.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on December 13, 2019, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: Rois on December 13, 2019, 10:41:40 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 13, 2019, 10:07:34 AM

Who's going to be listening though?

Boris won't give a shit.
The Irish govt now hold *some" of the cards and the DUP are no longer in a position to stop whatever concession is needed on Ireland.  The link btw Varadkar/Coveney and the SDLP could be important.

Claire isn't a big fan of that as we all know.

True, she said she had SDLP, FF and FG canvassing for her this past few weeks - was waiting on the question "which party do you support?" but the question never came.  Glad she's elected but very general in her comments and doesn't want to annoy anybody.

Kidder81

Read earlier in the week that Corbyn and his closest allies knew they were fucked from the start and they have been busy making plans for Corbyns (like minded) successor

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 13, 2019, 07:20:37 PM
Personally quite gutted at the results in England and Wales. It's clear this was about Brexit and the people in those areas are steadfastly determined to jump off the cliff. I find it astonishing but I can understand it given the wall to wall coverage it has received.

As usual some unfair and inaccurate comment on Corbyn. I think he has done a tremendous job in making Labour stand for something again. I believe completely in the policies put forward and I know they are the only solution to growing wealth inequality, the jobs timebomb and the climate crisis. Eventually the people will realise this - hopefully before it's too late. I don't think he lost the election on his policy platform - the policies are popular. Brexit meant all bets were off. The Tories, like Trump in 2016, worked out what had to be said to win and the did it relentlessly. A winning strategy perhaps but that's a sad reflection on where we're at I'd say. Corbyn will go but Labour must stay the course with a modern social democratic alternative. Nothing worse than a country with two main parties offering the same.

The silver lining to the cloud is that a United Ireland is closer. I only hope and pray when it comes about we've moved away from the Varadkar/Murphy Tory style politics on this island and our kids get the United Ireland that brave people a century ago envisioned.

Its not about Brexit, its about racism and the uneducated little englander blaming Johnny Foreigner for all his woes.
Corbyn's policies were so popular he lost the election by a massive margin! A hard left Labour is going nowhere fast. Only a centre left Labour will be returned to power anytime soon. They should write this off as a failed experiment.

Spot on. If Labour doesn't learn from this they'll be in the wilderness until another Blair-like figure emerges.

The UK economy is close to collapse. The current account deficit is 5% of GDP. This is a sign of an economy in trouble.
Fianna Fáil won an election in 2007. Within 2 years the people turned against them. Politics are different under economic chaos.
When the UK economy collapses so will the Tories.

dec

After they lost to Thatcher in 1979 they moved even further to the left by choosing Michael Foot as leader.

seafoid

Quote from: dec on December 13, 2019, 08:34:31 PM

After they lost to Thatcher in 1979 they moved even further to the left by choosing Michael Foot as leader.
That is true but it was at the beginning of Thatcherism. Thatcher won the 1983 election and the economy performed well for a few years. Now is close to the end of Thatcherism. The economy has been performing poorly for a decade. Brexit won't help.

Kidder81

Labour could become extinct if they aren't careful, there are further seats that were once Labour strongholds that Labour won this time but are now marginals