Laptops

Started by qwerty123, December 02, 2014, 04:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2016, 10:12:16 PM
Quote from: lolafrola on November 10, 2016, 09:35:08 AM
Would anyone consider buying a grade A refurbished 13" Apple MacBook of Woucher. See link below for it's details, i believe it to be last years model or possibly the year before?

I was hoping some of you computer men/women could advise...BTW it's only needed for general stuff that young ones do these days not for photography or editing etc

http://www.wowcher.co.uk/nationwide/deal-1587972-detail/199-instead-389-01-grade-refurbished-13-apple/deal.html?Linkpos=Title&blockpos=6&deal=1587972&ito=wowcher_email_National_Special_BigDiscounts_09112016&cauth=25189d76-e3a4-4ca9-a617-c00899b67e1d&st_cid=8079524&st_rid=18995266

The one in the link is ancient! The white ones are gone for at least 4 years.

2GB Ram is small, my old MacBook Pro has 8, and 500GB storage.

I would pass.
I have one the exact same as that one advertised, it's from 2010. My daughter has moved onto using a MBA and handed it down (or is that  handing it up?), it's in great nick and lovely to use.
I had to make up a 'new' power supply from other parts. 
At first I didn't think it would be worth it to upgrade it so it can run the latest Mac OS Sierra smoothly, but I might just go ahead with my refurbishment
The battery is at 75% but still has power enough to play a You Tube video at full screen for 260mins before going asleep
Probably will need a new battery in 6 months  €45,  upgrade memory  from 2gb to 8gb  €50,  a modest SSD for  €35 and then it will run nearly as good as a current model, the processor is very good, stays nice and cool and won't be such a bottleneck.

PW Nally

Any adice on buying a new laptop appreciated.

Use for simple work tasks such as word documents and excel. Personal usage mainly browsing and photo editing & storage. Travel a bit with work so watching Netflix etc also.

Is internal storage now not so important with cloud technology?
Know price dictated by size and spec but first purchase in a decade so bit out of touch.

Willing to pay €7-800.

HiMucker

Check out techradar reviews for laptops.  They are very good.  I'm also in the hunt for one.  There is a few Lenovo ones that are getting great reviews. 

theskull1

HP were doing a big discount (£600) on their 14 inch Elitebook 1040 G3. Open to employees only. Just closed yesterday but I wonder will some put them up on ebay to make a few pound?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: PW Nally on February 01, 2018, 03:31:24 AM

Use for simple work tasks such as word documents and excel. Personal usage mainly browsing and photo editing & storage. Travel a bit with work so watching Netflix etc also.

Know price dictated by size and spec but first purchase in a decade so bit out of touch.

Willing to pay €7-800.

Bought a new Surface Pro 4 myself recently - like it - good mix of Tablet/Laptop
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

PW Nally

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on February 01, 2018, 12:19:05 PM

Willing to pay €7-800.

Bought a new Surface Pro 4 myself recently - like it - good mix of Tablet/Laptop
Need to be able to hook up to printers etc. The Surface herself has is grand for browsing only and documents at a push.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: PW Nally on February 01, 2018, 02:20:20 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on February 01, 2018, 12:19:05 PM

Willing to pay €7-800.

Need to be able to hook up to printers etc. The Surface herself has is grand for browsing only and documents at a push.

most newer printers are wireless - and for anything else you can pretty much buy a usb connection - a lot of the newer laptops dont have all the standard ports you would have got on a laptop 10 years ago
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

J70

Quote from: theskull1 on February 01, 2018, 11:38:58 AM
HP were doing a big discount (£600) on their 14 inch Elitebook 1040 G3. Open to employees only. Just closed yesterday but I wonder will some put them up on ebay to make a few pound?

I would be wary of HP.

I've owned two over the past decade. Both worked very well, but both ended up breaking at the hinges. Utterly shit construction. And this is two completely separate models, one bought in 2008, the other in 2014. Couldn't believe it when it happened the second time. Never again, at least for laptops.

Apparently it wasn't just me!

https://www.classaction.org/hp-laptop-hinges-lawsuit

http://hphinges.blogspot.com/2011/06/tell-me-your-hp-hinge-stories.html?m=1

illdecide

Guys i know this is an oldie here but need to buy my son a laptop for his home schooling as his old one is knackered and is really old and fit for nothing...I would appreciate some help from you guys tech guys out there what to avoid and what to look for...I've seen a few on https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/315_3226_30328_xx_ba00012870-bv00311054-ba00012871-bv00311064-ba00002920-bv00307957-ba00012875-bv00311086%7Cbv00311087%7Cbv00312417/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

I'm looking at a 15.6" screen and maybe an i5 processor? Is that sort of mid range stuff but decent? is 8GB ram and 256 G all decent spec to be aiming for?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

oakleaflad

Any Tech heads in here?

Looking for a new laptop. Not for me but for the missus. Wouldn't know where to start but there is a few minimum requirements to be able to use Photoshop/editing software and the likes:

- Intel or AMD processor with 64-bit support, 2 GHz or faster processor
- 8GB min of RAM
- GPU with DirectX 12 support
- 2GB of VRAM/GPU memory
- Windows 10 or later
- Monitor resolution of 1280 x 800 display at 100%

Can't be Apple or a Chromebook. Trying to keep it as reasonable as possible whilst hitting those Specs above. Any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated.