The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 10, 2017, 07:58:52 AM
Lone Shark and Captain Scarlet, that's the point I've been banging on about for two years.

The ould lads from Carlow NEVER got to see their team play on TV until Sky showed them this year.

There are ould lads the length and breadth of the country who never get to see their team. But the hurling on Saturday was a great game that Duignan's ould lad wanted to see so it's a different matter.
Sky's entrance to the world GAA  is not responsible for increasing coverage of games.
Sky took over the entire TV3 package including commentators and pundits.
Same nr of games.

UK GAA viewers already had and still have access to many GAA games, easily available on Premier Sports for GBP10 p/m.

In the old system, that hurling game would have been fta  on TV3 and watched by hundreds of thousands.
In this current system, a Sky only game musters  a much lower figure of some thousands of viewers in Ireland  and pathetic viewing figures in the UK.

The Sky subscriber package has had a negative effect on access to the same televised games that were once covered fta with professionalism by TV3  and there's no extra revenue for the  GAA.

Though I presume with Sky revamping their sports channels into packages, a viewer should be able to select a GAA package for lower cost than present, Sky see some future with more subscribers in  Irl and uk

omagh_gael

MMA style throws, hands on officials, red cards, moral panics abound and not a Tyrone man in sight. The world's couped.

dublin7

Quote from: Main Street on July 10, 2017, 11:24:59 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 10, 2017, 07:58:52 AM
Lone Shark and Captain Scarlet, that's the point I've been banging on about for two years.

The ould lads from Carlow NEVER got to see their team play on TV until Sky showed them this year.

There are ould lads the length and breadth of the country who never get to see their team. But the hurling on Saturday was a great game that Duignan's ould lad wanted to see so it's a different matter.
Sky's entrance to the world GAA  is not responsible for increasing coverage of games.
Sky took over the entire TV3 package including commentators and pundits.
Same nr of games.

UK GAA viewers already had and still have access to many GAA games, easily available on Premier Sports for GBP10 p/m.

In the old system, that hurling game would have been fta  on TV3 and watched by hundreds of thousands.
In this current system, a Sky only game musters  a much lower figure of some thousands of viewers in Ireland  and pathetic viewing figures in the UK.

The Sky subscriber package has had a negative effect on access to the same televised games that were once covered fta with professionalism by TV3  and there's no extra revenue for the  GAA.

Though I presume with Sky revamping their sports channels into packages, a viewer should be able to select a GAA package for lower cost than present, Sky see some future with more subscribers in  Irl and uk

Sky's viewing figures are in the toilet. No one is watching the games. While the rte coverage is poor at least it is free to air. As part of the next tv deal GAA could insist on an additional highlights show midweek.

galwayman

The sky coverage is better for sure. I guess a lot of people watch the games in the pub or stream them.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Tubberman on July 10, 2017, 10:53:54 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on July 10, 2017, 09:54:39 AM
Quote from: mackers on July 09, 2017, 11:29:51 PM
Thought Tomas Quinn was excellent tonight.

RTE must be under severe pressure from sponsors to get back in Dublins good books.

Like ffs, the Commercial and Marketing Manager for Dublin GAA brought on as a pundit on the show.Can nobody see the irony of this after the ass Jim Gavin made of himself a couple of weeks ago. I could only laugh when I seen him talking about zoomed in grainy footage of Cillian O'Connor that shows nothing

I completely forgot he was in that role. That HAS to be a pander to Dublin GAA to try to smooth relations. Could you imagine if they invited on the Mayo PRO as an analyst ffs!
You're spot on about the Cillian O'Connor incident - even zoomed in, there is nothing to see, yet they choose to highlight that over the many ACTUAL red card incidents that occurred in games over the weekend.
Dublin and Kerry men trying to sew the seed in referees minds for further down the line - their media machines are working very nicely. Des Cahill is either complicit in it or doesn't even see what's going on around him   ::)

The paranoia is setting in early this year.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Applesisapples

Some bullshit being spouted on here about Sky. There are more games covered live now than 10 or 15 years ago. The main games as always are still on RTE. Sky have taken on a package of games and to my mind do them well. I for one would like to see more on Sky. We no longer live in a world where nothing costs money and GAA games have a value. If that 80 yo all fella had to fill the car or take the bus/train buy his lunch and ticket it would have cost him more than a month's subscription to Sky. Putting on games cost money, having 100 youngsters playing in Semple, The Athletic Grounds, Croke Park etc costs money, if the GAA can sell the product why not. RTE and BBC is not free to air any way you pay your license and through your taxes.

criostlinn

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 10, 2017, 02:28:05 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 10, 2017, 10:53:54 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on July 10, 2017, 09:54:39 AM
Quote from: mackers on July 09, 2017, 11:29:51 PM
Thought Tomas Quinn was excellent tonight.

RTE must be under severe pressure from sponsors to get back in Dublins good books.

Like ffs, the Commercial and Marketing Manager for Dublin GAA brought on as a pundit on the show.Can nobody see the irony of this after the ass Jim Gavin made of himself a couple of weeks ago. I could only laugh when I seen him talking about zoomed in grainy footage of Cillian O'Connor that shows nothing

I completely forgot he was in that role. That HAS to be a pander to Dublin GAA to try to smooth relations. Could you imagine if they invited on the Mayo PRO as an analyst ffs!
You're spot on about the Cillian O'Connor incident - even zoomed in, there is nothing to see, yet they choose to highlight that over the many ACTUAL red card incidents that occurred in games over the weekend.
Dublin and Kerry men trying to sew the seed in referees minds for further down the line - their media machines are working very nicely. Des Cahill is either complicit in it or doesn't even see what's going on around him   ::)

The paranoia is setting in early this year.

Do you not see how ridiculous it looks two weeks after Jim Gavin makes such a huge issue out of the Sunday Game coverage of Diarmuid Connolly,  that Mossy Quinn the Dublin GAA Commercial and Marketing Manager appears as a pundit on the very same program and tries to make an issue of a nothing incident involving Cillian O'Connor.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: criostlinn on July 10, 2017, 02:52:37 PMa "nothing" incident involving Cillian O'Connor.

::)

You should be thankful that none of the pundits pointed out how your darling innocent lad very cynically threw himself to the ground as though he had been shot immediately after raising his hands to the Clare lad's face in order to avoid getting sent off during that highlighted incident.

Dirty players like CoC deserve to have their antics exposed and shamed.

criostlinn

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 10, 2017, 07:01:15 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on July 10, 2017, 02:52:37 PMa "nothing" incident involving Cillian O'Connor.

::)

You should be thankful that none of the pundits pointed out how your darling innocent lad very cynically threw himself to the ground as though he had been shot immediately after raising his hands to the Clare lad's face in order to avoid getting sent off during that highlighted incident.

Dirty players like CoC deserve to have their antics exposed and shamed.

Jaysus how did Miissy miss that one. And to think the county board are paying him for this shit

Jinxy

The 'analysis' of Meath v Donegal was pathetic tbh.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Scarlet

But but but it was free to air so it was grand.
I see Carlow are on Sky again this weekend. What about the poor aul lads??
62 seconds of highlights again for him on Sunday will do him grand...

I know I am being a shithead there the way I am making the point but it bothered me how the Ordinary GAA Fan was being held up due to a hurling game being missed but F all said when Kildare v Meath was on Sky for example.
I just think get your own house in order before you go on the attack.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on July 10, 2017, 09:07:58 PM
The 'analysis' of Meath v Donegal was pathetic tbh.

They showed how Murphy scored an important point for Donegal, but nobody mentioned that he took seven steps to make space.

Two Big football counties, a good tight hard fought game and we get trickles of moments that looked very disjointed in showing the flow of the game.

LilySavage

If Soccer Republic can show decent highlights from every League of Ireland match on a Monday night, why cant The Sunday Game or RTE do similar? The crowds at intercounty matches dwarf those of LOI soccer yet we have to put up with a shite production. 60 second highlights , mickey mouse interviews with managers that are often cutoff mid sentence and frequently highlights edited missing some of the key scores or incidents in games. Some of the footage looks like it's been taken with a water damaged camera phone. You can give out all you like about Sky but at least the product is high quality.

under the bar

Quote from: LilySavage on July 10, 2017, 11:54:28 PM
If Soccer Republic can show decent highlights from every League of Ireland match on a Monday night, why cant The Sunday Game or RTE do similar? The crowds at intercounty matches dwarf those of LOI soccer yet we have to put up with a shite production. 60 second highlights , mickey mouse interviews with managers that are often cutoff mid sentence and frequently highlights edited missing some of the key scores or incidents in games. Some of the footage looks like it's been taken with a water damaged camera phone. You can give out all you like about Sky but at least the product is high quality.

+1.  Savage post Lily!

Main Street

Quote from: LilySavage on July 10, 2017, 11:54:28 PM
Your comparing apples with oranges.when you compare Sky to Rte. The comparison should be what Sky do compared to what TV3 did.
Would you pay €40pm for Sky's quality over and above what TV3 offered fta for the same package?