Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: seafoid on October 27, 2021, 09:12:19 AM
Before Ferguson, Man Utd had won 7 titles.

https://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/stats/Honours/hons-div1.html

For most of the time Ferguson was in charge the interests of the fans and the owners were aligned.
This is no longer the case.

Man Utd is in the same boat now as Tottenham and Arsenal. Joe Lewis and Stan Kroenke don't care about winning trophies either.

Really top managers with a long term impact at a club don't come along that often.  Man u have had 2 in their entire history - Matt Busby and Ferguson.  So for most of the time it's shorter term appointments with mixed results. Same as Liverpool and a lot of clubs.  Chelsea have broken the mould in recent years with the success they've had with multiple managers on a short term basis but generally in England long term successful managers are as rare as hens' teeth. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

seafoid

Quote from: Armamike on October 27, 2021, 01:43:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 27, 2021, 09:12:19 AM
Before Ferguson, Man Utd had won 7 titles.

https://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/stats/Honours/hons-div1.html

For most of the time Ferguson was in charge the interests of the fans and the owners were aligned.
This is no longer the case.

Man Utd is in the same boat now as Tottenham and Arsenal. Joe Lewis and Stan Kroenke don't care about winning trophies either.

Really top managers with a long term impact at a club don't come along that often.  Man u have had 2 in their entire history - Matt Busby and Ferguson.  So for most of the time it's shorter term appointments with mixed results. Same as Liverpool and a lot of clubs.  Chelsea have broken the mould in recent years with the success they've had with multiple managers on a short term basis but generally in England long term successful managers are as rare as hens' teeth.
Liverpool are one behind . It is urgent

nrico2006

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on October 27, 2021, 12:54:42 PM
Quote from: Boycey on October 27, 2021, 12:16:51 PM
I think yis are still barking up the wrong tree. An elite manager could manage them all, well bar Pogba maybe.......

I agree - from top to bottom United have people learning on the job. Ole hasn't been in the game at this level long enough, Carrick and McKenna haven't proved anything and got jumped up with Jose when he lost his assistant. Darren Fletcher is learning on the job too. I wasn't really on for Conte but I think this teams needs a character like that now but if he says 'outtafaq' the club have to back him up and move those players on.

I agree, Conte is the type of manager that is required.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 27, 2021, 02:27:22 PM
I think yis are still barking up the wrong tree. An elite manager could manage them all, well bar Pogba maybe.......

I agree - from top to bottom United have people learning on the job. Ole hasn't been in the game at this level long enough, Carrick and McKenna haven't proved anything and got jumped up with Jose when he lost his assistant. Darren Fletcher is learning on the job too. I wasn't really on for Conte but I think this teams needs a character like that now but if he says 'outtafaq' the club have to back him up and move those players on.

It has reminded me around the conversation about the Newcastle take over.

I listened to a discussion that says, that no matter what their money situation that they will 3/4 managers to get them to the top level.

One to save them this year, one to build the club and structures and culture and one/ two to take them to the top level.

Ole seems to have done that in between part, steadied the ship, got the culture sorted but now it looks like it is time for another to come in and take it to the very top level. Not saying I know who it is, not impressed with Conte or Zidane more in terms of their personality than what they have done to be fair.

Conte is suffering apparently because of his challenging behaviour towards directors and CEO's previously, he is being likened to Jose in that respect which is scaring them off. But when you have several directors of the biggest club in the world coming from the same year of the same college maybe that wouldn't be the worst thing.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: NAG1 on October 27, 2021, 02:40:49 PM

I listened to a discussion that says, that no matter what their money situation that they will 3/4 managers to get them to the top level.

One to save them this year, one to build the club and structures and culture and one/ two to take them to the top level.

Ole seems to have done that in between part, steadied the ship, got the culture sorted but now it looks like it is time for another to come in and take it to the very top level. Not saying I know who it is, not impressed with Conte or Zidane more in terms of their personality than what they have done to be fair.

Conte is suffering apparently because of his challenging behaviour towards directors and CEO's previously, he is being likened to Jose in that respect which is scaring them off. But when you have several directors of the biggest club in the world coming from the same year of the same college maybe that wouldn't be the worst thing.

Ten Haag in Ajax seems to be the purists option but there's no guarantee that his works in Ajax with a really well run club would translate into success in the premier league and the shit show in the boardroom at United.

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2021, 12:58:40 PM
Anyone check in on GJL or St Pats Abu? They seem to be gone missing...

EC was on here today, no comments yet but hopefully he's doing well. St Pats is sadly no longer with us

quit yo jibbajabba

Sure neithers EC 🙊🙊🙊

Did stpats go of his own accord?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: gawa316 on October 27, 2021, 06:34:49 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2021, 12:58:40 PM
Anyone check in on GJL or St Pats Abu? They seem to be gone missing...

EC was on here today, no comments yet but hopefully he's doing well. St Pats is sadly no longer with us

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 27, 2021, 07:09:09 PM
Sure neithers EC 🙊🙊🙊

Did stpats go of his own accord?

Don't know about either of them, but they must have huge admirers amongst LFC fans when they're checking in on them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Boycey

Lol, I always think that about the EC one in particular, there is some hard on for him....

J70

Don't understand the reluctance to hire Conte.

He's a proven, current winner who can wring results and trophies out of what's available to him. There'll be no headless chickens running about like Shaw and Maguire on Sunday once he's had a chance to go to work on them.

And hiring him doesn't mean you can't at the same time start to fill out the rest of the club with talent aimed at building for the long term.

Hope they DON'T go with him! :)

Boycey

Because Conte is a short term solution to a long term problem?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on October 27, 2021, 03:50:52 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 27, 2021, 02:40:49 PM

Ten Haag in Ajax seems to be the purists option but there's no guarantee that his works in Ajax with a really well run club would translate into success in the premier league and the shit show in the boardroom at United.
True no guarantee and there isn't many worse run big clubs in the world than United, add in the extra pressure to succeed making it a difficult task for whoever takes over. 

On the net spend this is the list of players that was let go since Solskjaer arrived.

Fellaini
Herrera
Valencia
Darmian
Young
Lukaku
James
Ighalo
Sanchez
Smalling
Rojo
Fosu Mensah
Romero

A lot of dead wood there and most wasn't going to receive big transfer fees. Plenty more dead wood needs to be shipped out yet.

Quote from: Boycey on October 27, 2021, 07:56:16 PM
And too similar to Jose, it took a number of months just to fix the toxic environment he left behind, at least the new manager coming in to replace Solskjaer doesn't have to deal with that.

rodney trotter

He'd have United competing in a short period, which would be a good base for a successor. A League and FA Cup in 2 seasons with Chelsea, sacked for finishing 5th in Second season. A Scudetto in second season with Inter. He would have stayed longer but the owners started cutting the budget.

If the alternative is a 5 year deal for Graham Potter who is managing Brighton with no pressure, then god help us

nrico2006

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 27, 2021, 08:35:45 PM

He'd have United competing in a short period, which would be a good base for a successor. A League and FA Cup in 2 seasons with Chelsea, sacked for finishing 5th in Second season. A Scudetto in second season with Inter. He would have stayed longer but the owners started cutting the budget.

If the alternative is a 5 year deal for Graham Potter who is managing Brighton with no pressure, then god help us

Plus people seem to forget that it was him that turned Juventus back into a top team, not Allegri as seems to be the narrative.

Conte is ruthless and takes no crap, but what is different in comparison to Mourinho is that he is more modern than Jose and is not past his best.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

True, Conte brought Pogba to Juve also and he performed really well.