Farrandeelin

Quote from: KickItInAndStartClapping on June 08, 2021, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 08, 2021, 08:24:37 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 07, 2021, 08:44:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 07, 2021, 05:32:25 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 05, 2021, 10:58:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 04, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 23, 2021, 11:24:12 PM
I have great respect for Mickey Harte because of his dtremendous dignity under pressure as he coped with the death of his daughter. I have reservations about much that Mickey has done but, like Aidan McGinely of recent times., Mickey and his wife were an inspitation to us all.
More controversial perhaps, I admire Arlene Foster who crossed deep sectarian divides to attend the Harte funeral.

I do not understand this in the slightest
What do you not understand? Do you think she should not have attended in order to conform with the usual stereotypes? Her religious beliefs prevented here attending the mass but she turned up for the graveside ceremonies and in doing so she probably upset more of her own supporters than anyone else.
There was nothing to be gained politically by her going there- just a token of respect for the ordeal the Harte and McAravey families were going through.

I think you are mixing up a number of things here. Can you tell me how her religious beliefs prevent her attending the mass? In any event 'in doing so she upset a number of her own supporters' - are you really excusing her bigotry and those of her supporters by admiring her for taking a slight step away from it? Your bar is set incredibly low. And of course there was something to gain politically (not that I'm saying that was necessarily what her attendance was for) - hasn't she fooled people like you into thinking she's a decent sort despite being a hateful bigot (as you state yourself in your response)?
She hasn't fooled me in the slightest. It goes against my nature to admit that I find anything done by the DUP or any of its members to be worthy of praise but to an impartial observer that would make me a bigot also.
I am told that the reason she attended the Harte funeral was because she felt sorry for Mrs harte  and genuinely wanted to show her understanding of a mother's grief. One mother expressing concern for another in her time of deepest grief is a human trait that crosses all sorts of political and cultural divisions.
I'm afraid I don't see how she could have hoped to gain anything politically by doing what she did- contrary to her perceived form. I can't warm to the DUP in any shape or form and the fact that Arlene is not  longer in that party doesn't bother me one way or the other.

One mother showing support for another rises above sectarian battle lines for me.

PS I must really be losing the plot big time! ;D
I recall seeing a (very reasonable) post by imtommygunne and I intended responding to it but when I went to look for it again, I couldn't' find it.
I'm genuinely stuck for time at the moment but I'll resume my search when I get a chance. ( Maybe 'll be locked up first.) Lol

'Sectarian battle lines' are not a major, or even a minor feature, of life in the north. I think you have swallowed a narrative on the Troubles which northern nationalists would not recognise.

Many people attend funerals of those of other faiths and always have done. That Arlene has deliberately drawn such attention to any such gesture she makes, when the rest of us would consider it the most basic of human decency, should tell you all you need to know about her.

After reading this thrilling discussion and seeing that Lar Naparka has decided to post his "last post" I would like to state that i

...come on, you can't leave us hanging like this!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 08, 2021, 01:14:39 PM
Quote from: KickItInAndStartClapping on June 08, 2021, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 08, 2021, 08:24:37 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 07, 2021, 08:44:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 07, 2021, 05:32:25 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 05, 2021, 10:58:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 04, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 23, 2021, 11:24:12 PM
I have great respect for Mickey Harte because of his dtremendous dignity under pressure as he coped with the death of his daughter. I have reservations about much that Mickey has done but, like Aidan McGinely of recent times., Mickey and his wife were an inspitation to us all.
More controversial perhaps, I admire Arlene Foster who crossed deep sectarian divides to attend the Harte funeral.

I do not understand this in the slightest
What do you not understand? Do you think she should not have attended in order to conform with the usual stereotypes? Her religious beliefs prevented here attending the mass but she turned up for the graveside ceremonies and in doing so she probably upset more of her own supporters than anyone else.
There was nothing to be gained politically by her going there- just a token of respect for the ordeal the Harte and McAravey families were going through.

I think you are mixing up a number of things here. Can you tell me how her religious beliefs prevent her attending the mass? In any event 'in doing so she upset a number of her own supporters' - are you really excusing her bigotry and those of her supporters by admiring her for taking a slight step away from it? Your bar is set incredibly low. And of course there was something to gain politically (not that I'm saying that was necessarily what her attendance was for) - hasn't she fooled people like you into thinking she's a decent sort despite being a hateful bigot (as you state yourself in your response)?
She hasn't fooled me in the slightest. It goes against my nature to admit that I find anything done by the DUP or any of its members to be worthy of praise but to an impartial observer that would make me a bigot also.
I am told that the reason she attended the Harte funeral was because she felt sorry for Mrs harte  and genuinely wanted to show her understanding of a mother's grief. One mother expressing concern for another in her time of deepest grief is a human trait that crosses all sorts of political and cultural divisions.
I'm afraid I don't see how she could have hoped to gain anything politically by doing what she did- contrary to her perceived form. I can't warm to the DUP in any shape or form and the fact that Arlene is not  longer in that party doesn't bother me one way or the other.

One mother showing support for another rises above sectarian battle lines for me.

PS I must really be losing the plot big time! ;D
I recall seeing a (very reasonable) post by imtommygunne and I intended responding to it but when I went to look for it again, I couldn't' find it.
I'm genuinely stuck for time at the moment but I'll resume my search when I get a chance. ( Maybe 'll be locked up first.) Lol

'Sectarian battle lines' are not a major, or even a minor feature, of life in the north. I think you have swallowed a narrative on the Troubles which northern nationalists would not recognise.

Many people attend funerals of those of other faiths and always have done. That Arlene has deliberately drawn such attention to any such gesture she makes, when the rest of us would consider it the most basic of human decency, should tell you all you need to know about her.

After reading this thrilling discussion and seeing that Lar Naparka has decided to post his "last post" I would like to state that i

...come on, you can't leave us hanging like this!!

;D ;D ;D
Wi-fi cut out :o

HiMucker

A fella in Derry, Daniel Quigley, who lost his father Colm (who was probably the best triathlete in the town) to suicide 10 years ago, is currently training to undertake 10 Ironmen in 10 days, to raise money for Pieta House. Absolutely incredible.

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: HiMucker on June 08, 2021, 02:28:24 PM
A fella in Derry, Daniel Quigley, who lost his father Colm (who was probably the best triathlete in the town) to suicide 10 years ago, is currently training to undertake 10 Ironmen in 10 days, to raise money for Pieta House. Absolutely incredible.

How far exactly is and Ironman?

Ethan Tremblay

I read a piece about that in the Irish News a few weeks ago, incredible indeed! Hopefully he can stay injury free throughout to complete it, a serious undertaking! Best of luck to him
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

KickItInAndStartClapping

Quote from: Itchy on June 08, 2021, 01:10:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 08, 2021, 11:40:27 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 08, 2021, 11:35:38 AM
This is my final post on this topic. It has gone decidedly off-topic.
The purpose of the thread was fairly uncomplicated; posters were invited to express their personal opinions and there should be no need for anyone to reply with abuse of any sort.
That sort of schoolground behaviour may be okay on topics of a broader nature but I see no need for it here.
To recap one last time; In my (very) personal opinion Arlene Foster suffered at least as much personal tragedy at the hands of the Provos as any nationalist did because of loyalist paramilitaries. IMO again, I think she has every reason to feel bitter. I don't like her politics but I acknowledge that she left her sectarian overcoat behind her on at least  two occasions. That's my personal opinion- more or less and it will remain so.

Arlene Foster told the FT  she would probably leave the north if there was a united Ireland.
I was very surprised by that.

Were you really surprised. I am not surprised all she would say that. However, whether she means it or not I dont know.

She is coming out with controversial statements like this to desperately cling on to any relevancy before she is replaced by Givan next week.

HiMucker

Quote from: KickItInAndStartClapping on June 08, 2021, 02:33:03 PM

2.4 mile swim followed by a 112 mile cycle finished with a nice wee 26.2 mile marathon run lol

Ronnie

Who were the winners / poll-toppers in this thread?

Gmac

Quote from: Ronnie on October 15, 2021, 11:40:29 PM
Who were the winners / poll-toppers in this thread?
sid Waddell

PadraicHenryPearse

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on June 08, 2021, 02:44:17 PM

2.4 mile swim followed by a 112 mile cycle finished with a nice wee 26.2 mile marathon run lol

The 'decathon' is that distance ten times in ten days.... There's an Offaly man that did it a few years ago, he won the race, it's outrageous
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Dooher and Logan

Irish Times

Logan: "My thinking is, let's get the head down and see if we can win this, because I have been that soldier that came out the wrong end and it is not easy rectified 
"No goals, no goals! That was the big thing," says Logan when asked what went through his mind as the clock ran down. 

"There does come a tipping point in the line when you think 'you know what, we might be home,' but then you're even afraid to think that, because we've all had our shocks in football matches. So no goals was the big thing, and just who was out on their feet, and had we anybody left to put in. 

"So essentially that, and the same principles apply to all matches "

"The question I would say is: why do you have to wait a year or two," explained Dooher before the team departed Croke Park on Saturday evening. 

"You only get one chance and you make the most of it whenever you can.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

shark

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2021, 08:31:35 AM

The 'decathon' is that distance ten times in ten days.... There's an Offaly man that did it a few years ago, he won the race, it's outrageous

I presume you mean Gerry Duffy. From Mullingar.

seafoid

Ireland should have a modern merit system

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Canada

The provinces could also have one

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Ontario

Doesn't have to be Lords and Sirs
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shark on October 16, 2021, 08:46:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2021, 08:31:35 AM

I presume you mean Gerry Duffy. From Mullingar.

Midlands man then lol! Met him at a conference in Croke, he does inspirational speeches
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea