Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Goalkeeper is the tight one and there seems to be a head of steam building up for Cluxton.
On this years work I think Beggan is ahead but I also think that Cluxton should have a lot more all stars than he has. The practice of balancing out allstar awards with all ireland losers is now coming back to bite them. Was Clarke better than Cluxton in 2016 and 2017. Kealy in 2015 was another strange one.

A possible solution is to give Beggan the allstar and give Cluxton footballer of the year. He'd be a very popular choice

Jinxy

Beggan is unfortunate in that the last thing most people remember him doing is ballooning the ball a mile off target with the last kick of the game in the semi-final.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jinxy on September 03, 2018, 08:38:43 PM
Beggan is unfortunate in that the last thing most people remember him doing is ballooning the ball a mile off target with the last kick of the game in the semi-final.
Some thought David Clarke wouldn't win All Star after getting dropped for the All Ireland final replay in 2016.

Jinxy

Most people thought the decision to drop him was ridiculous though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

laoislad

Graham Brody has been outstanding in Goal for Laois this year.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lenny

My team:
1. S Cluxton 2. Eoghan B Gallagher 3. J Cooper 4. M McKernan 5 R McHugh 6. K O'Connell 7. J McCaffrey 8. B Fenton 9. J McCarthy 10. S Walsh 11. C Kilkenny 12. B Howard 13. D Clifford 14. D Flynn 15 C McManus

BennyCake

Quote from: lenny on September 03, 2018, 09:59:55 PM
My team:
1. S Cluxton 2. Eoghan B Gallagher 3. J Cooper 4. M McKernan 5 R McHugh 6. K O'Connell 7. J McCaffrey 8. B Fenton 9. J McCarthy 10. S Walsh 11. C Kilkenny 12. B Howard 13. D Clifford 14. D Flynn 15 C McManus

Only one for the beaten finalists?

And if Rory Beggan doesn't get it over the hugely overrated Cluxton, it'll be a disgrace.

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on September 03, 2018, 09:14:54 PM
Absolutely. And it's probably unusual that three goalkeepers had such good years.
Brody had the disadvantage of not being able to show whether he could produce those performances in the Super 8. But you wouldn't doubt him.

It'd be a great achievement for anyone who doesn't make the Super 8 to get an All Star nomination. Brody should be a lock for that, which is testament to how well he played. But I think Beggan and Cluxton were able to pass him out.

Cluxton was superb in the All Ireland final, the biggest stage of all when the pressure is on. Even one of his bad kicks over the line may have been down to Small not reading it properly. And in the last 10 mins when we were down to 14, he was immaculately accurate. You could certainly point to his error in the semi final costing Dublin a goal, but he made a super save not 30 seconds after and saved a peno a few minutes after that.

I think whoever doesn't get it can count themselves very unfortunate.

NAG1

Quote from: Hound on September 04, 2018, 02:36:31 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 03, 2018, 09:14:54 PM
Absolutely. And it's probably unusual that three goalkeepers had such good years.
Brody had the disadvantage of not being able to show whether he could produce those performances in the Super 8. But you wouldn't doubt him.

It'd be a great achievement for anyone who doesn't make the Super 8 to get an All Star nomination. Brody should be a lock for that, which is testament to how well he played. But I think Beggan and Cluxton were able to pass him out.

Cluxton was superb in the All Ireland final, the biggest stage of all when the pressure is on. Even one of his bad kicks over the line may have been down to Small not reading it properly. And in the last 10 mins when we were down to 14, he was immaculately accurate. You could certainly point to his error in the semi final costing Dublin a goal, but he made a super save not 30 seconds after and saved a peno a few minutes after that.

I think whoever doesn't get it can count themselves very unfortunate.

Beggan ruled himself out with the head stagger on the ball in the last moment of their game. Great year finished on a bad note.

TheGreatest

One things for sure, it wont be the annual GAA GPA annual Sympathy for Mayo all Start awards this year.

Or will it.

J70

Quote from: Jinxy on September 03, 2018, 08:38:43 PM

Paul Durcan slipped on a kick out and gifted the 2014 final to Kerry. Still got a deserved All Star. Give the selectors at least a bit of credit!

Doesn't mean Beggan will win it. Cluxton is a once-in-a-lifetime player who has been excellent again this season.

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on September 03, 2018, 10:05:37 PM
My team:
Pretty much spot on apart from McKernan. Would replace him with McMahon.

McMahon was roasted by Donie Kingston and the Longford FF in Leinster. I was at both games. Comer roasted him in League final I was at and bettered him in Semi Final.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gael85

Quote from: Gold on September 04, 2018, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 03, 2018, 10:05:37 PM
My team:
Pretty much spot on apart from McKernan. Would replace him with McMahon.

McMahon was roasted by Donie Kingston and the Longford FF in Leinster. I was at both games. Comer roasted him in League final I was at and bettered him in Semi Final.

Agree not Philly best year. Had a tough year on and off the pitch.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: BennyCake on September 03, 2018, 10:06:20 PM
My team:

Only one for the beaten finalists?

And if Rory Beggan doesn't get it over the hugely overrated Cluxton, it'll be a disgrace.

Can you explain how Cluxton is hugely overrated?

Syferus

I think Cluxton is overrated when it comes to invocation - keepers did what he's doing before him - but in terms of sheer excellence at the position he's the best of all-time. I think Beggan deserves an All-Star for his own development but he didn't exactly blow the barn doors off in the AISFs.