Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 10:41:59 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on September 14, 2020, 10:38:40 AM
So far we've have a pop at The Chairman, Toland and Jarlath O'Donnell..

It's not even midday!

No pop at either of the three parties here

You kinda did with Toland...

Always found Brendan a good referee. Fair and explained things and actually the opposite of making it about him. Also appears to have been involved in a serious number of games this year.

Haven't been on here in a good while and within a 10 minute read I can see why.

Bronco

Ok. Goodbye then,thanks for your thoughts.

Calm Down

Quote from: Glensman on September 14, 2020, 12:49:04 PM

It's not even midday!

Always found Brendan a good referee. Fair and explained things and actually the opposite of making it about him. Also appears to have been involved in a serious number of games this year.

It was not a 'pop' at Totes was merely pointing out that there does not seem to be any encouragement or pathway for the upcoming referees if the old guard will not step aside, this was further highlighted in other posts as to lack of numbers, maybe put 2 and 2 together.

I have heard rumors as to the make up of the officiating teams for the finals next weekend and it appears that only a select few have been considered to partake and to a large degree the same people are doing both hurling and football speaks volumes as to the trust or otherwise in the rest of our officials

Oh and its easy to be involved in lots of games when you are retired and are the person who decides who is allocated which fixture

paddyjohn

Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 01:55:24 PM

It's not even midday!

It was not a 'pop' at Totes was merely pointing out that there does not seem to be any encouragement or pathway for the upcoming referees if the old guard will not step aside, this was further highlighted in other posts as to lack of numbers, maybe put 2 and 2 together.

I have heard rumors as to the make up of the officiating teams for the finals next weekend and it appears that only a select few have been considered to partake and to a large degree the same people are doing both hurling and football speaks volumes as to the trust or otherwise in the rest of our officials

Oh and its easy to be involved in lots of games when you are retired and are the person who decides who is allocated which fixture

What are these rumours? Enlighten us pal...

Calm Down

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 14, 2020, 02:26:35 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 01:55:24 PM

It's not even midday!

What are these rumours? Enlighten us pal...

I would prefer not to indulge in presenting rumor as fact at this stage, however, if true I will post the overlaps and duplications, if not then I will hold my hands up and say I was incorrect, that ok for you 'buddy'?

Milltown Row2

Well i suppose I may put my 2 cents in for whats its worth (feck all no doubt)

Brendan is Chair and allocates the hurling games along with Mark

There is someone else that allocates the football

CCC and the county Exc would have over seen appointments for finals and that may still be the case, a ref is nominated and needs ratified by others, in case there are objections and so on.

Appointments are (I'd assume) based on various reasons.. experience, fitness, knowledge and performances,, these are assessed, though this year has been different for obvious reasons.

The best referees get the nod for the main appointments as that what we want really, not all referees accept games and that's their choice also.

Appointments are not made by keyboard warriors with axes to grind, nor made by faceless headers who haven't the first clue, thankfully.

Clubs have no input of appointments, they may object and raise a point or two but ultimately the people that put themselves forward in these roles (spaces available if you like to join) are best placed

As for suspensions and appeals and all that other crap, they are not the concern of the referee, he fills in a report of the match and that's him done, he doesn't care as its out of his control. He may be asked to have a look at the report and see if he's happy with the content.

On the case in question the video I believe shows nothing of the incident (I only watched the match on the streaming) in question so i'd assume its irrelevant. As a referee you trust the word of your umpires and the linesmen, I mean why would they make it up? It makes no sense to bring hassle on yourself, the job is hard enough as it is.

This year, god only knows why, but there has been a marked rise is verbal abuse towards referee's.. Bullying a ref will not gain you any favours or change his mind, he may make mistakes and he'll make apologies for it, but if your are going to abuse him throughout the match, it doesnt help the cause of the team.

As for it being a small pool, it is, and the pool will only get smaller if we continue to lambast them. on a normal years assessments are given and reviewed. Fitness test and rules test are also done, you can't get championship games unless you pass them.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2020, 02:37:55 PM

CCC and the county Exc would have over seen appointments for finals and that may still be the case, a ref is nominated and needs ratified by others, in case there are objections and so on.

Appointments are (I'd assume) based on various reasons.. experience, fitness, knowledge and performances,, these are assessed, though this year has been different for obvious reasons.

The best referees get the nod for the main appointments as that what we want really, not all referees accept games and that's their choice also.

Appointments are not made by keyboard warriors with axes to grind, nor made by faceless headers who haven't the first clue, thankfully.

Clubs have no input of appointments, they may object and raise a point or two but ultimately the people that put themselves forward in these roles (spaces available if you like to join) are best placed

As for suspensions and appeals and all that other crap, they are not the concern of the referee, he fills in a report of the match and that's him done, he doesn't care as its out of his control. He may be asked to have a look at the report and see if he's happy with the content.

On the case in question the video I believe shows nothing of the incident (I only watched the match on the streaming) in question so i'd assume its irrelevant. As a referee you trust the word of your umpires and the linesmen, I mean why would they make it up? It makes no sense to bring hassle on yourself, the job is hard enough as it is.

This year, god only knows why, but there has been a marked rise is verbal abuse towards referee's.. Bullying a ref will not gain you any favours or change his mind, he may make mistakes and he'll make apologies for it, but if your are going to abuse him throughout the match, it doesnt help the cause of the team.

As for it being a small pool, it is, and the pool will only get smaller if we continue to lambast them. on a normal years assessments are given and reviewed. Fitness test and rules test are also done, you can't get championship games unless you pass them.

Thank you for the insight MR2, I apologies if I misunderstood Brendan's role (I can see you're vested interest considering you were doing the SHC yesterday), can you please tell the room who allocates the football fixtures then?

As for referee abuse and making things up I could not agree more, as a retired referee with a good few year's service it would not make sense to make up incidents and unless the GAA take a strong hold on abuse i fear the organisation is going to continue down a dark path in regard to the club game

Bronco

The video is far from irrelevant, the cameraman caught a prolonged scuffle on camera and there was nothing in it to warrant a red card for the player in question. Multiple independent witnesses have stated that there was nothing to warrant a red card.

I agree officials do a very difficult job, and they should be afforded some leeway for that. I wouldn't do it for love nor money. Some do a great job and nobody expects even the best of them to be flawless. However there is undoubtedly an element who consistently don't do a good job,and it's right and fair that they can be criticised accordingly,albeit without crossing into vitriolic abuse or threats. It goes without saying that's unacceptable.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 02:55:18 PM

Thank you for the insight MR2, I apologies if I misunderstood Brendan's role (I can see you're vested interest considering you were doing the SHC yesterday), can you please tell the room who allocates the football fixtures then?

As for referee abuse and making things up I could not agree more, as a retired referee with a good few year's service it would not make sense to make up incidents and unless the GAA take a strong hold on abuse i fear the organisation is going to continue down a dark path in regard to the club game

My vested interest is not about getting the top games never has been, I've been at this 14 years plus ... i answered the call at an AGM and was roped in, I was still playing and managing teams within club. Friday night before the county final i was ref'ing under 16 b league in Gorts and on Sat i was doing the line at the Minor b final, you take all the games and give it the same effort.

As for who allocates the football, I'd rather not name people other than lads I know who don't mind..

I've probably not endeared myself in certain places because of this board, maybe missed a few opportunities also, but my mussing's on here are just that, banter, wind up and a bitta craic to take the piss. I'm passionate about my club, but that stops when I'm refereeing

As a player/manager/supporter/ref I've been lucky to view all levels of these sports, from south Antrim championships to days out in Croke Park, its difficult not to view it through a biased approach when a call goes against you, but whats the alternatives here?

Coaching, assessments, rules tests and fitness tests are carried out, emails are sent on rules and questionnaires done also. I can't fault that side of things in fairness, there are open lines to the ref's committee and a Whatsapp page to talk over rules and other stuff..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2020, 03:31:13 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 02:55:18 PM

My vested interest is not about getting the top games never has been, I've been at this 14 years plus ... i answered the call at an AGM and was roped in, I was still playing and managing teams within club. Friday night before the county final i was ref'ing under 16 b league in Gorts and on Sat i was doing the line at the Minor b final, you take all the games and give it the same effort.

As for who allocates the football, I'd rather not name people other than lads I know who don't mind..

I've probably not endeared myself in certain places because of this board, maybe missed a few opportunities also, but my mussing's on here are just that, banter, wind up and a bitta craic to take the piss. I'm passionate about my club, but that stops when I'm refereeing

As a player/manager/supporter/ref I've been lucky to view all levels of these sports, from south Antrim championships to days out in Croke Park, its difficult not to view it through a biased approach when a call goes against you, but whats the alternatives here?

Coaching, assessments, rules tests and fitness tests are carried out, emails are sent on rules and questionnaires done also. I can't fault that side of things in fairness, there are open lines to the ref's committee and a Whatsapp page to talk over rules and other stuff..

Your reluctance to provide viability as to how football games are allocated only make its more intriguing.

I have no doubt you are a passionate GAA man MR2 that is clear by the amount of games etc you seem to do.

Speaking to some ref's in Antrim they have told me they need see an assessment report, albeit that doesn't mean they have not been assessed 

Milltown Row2

There is no mystery to it at all, there has been a dedicated person that allocates the football games for a while now, having been given games I know who it is, its not Brendan, can you at least accept that?

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2020, 04:16:10 PM
There is no mystery to it at all, there has been a dedicated person that allocates the football games for a while now, having been given games I know who it is, its not Brendan, can you at least accept that?

I have no problem accepting that at all, I have never once questioned your integrity nor you amplitude to be honest.

So does this man or woman phone or text you directly? Seems like a very time consuming task for one person. In my day, they used to post out reports and that is how you found out your game if not the newspaper, however I suspect with technology things may have moved on

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 04:21:50 PM

I have no problem accepting that at all, I have never once questioned your integrity nor you amplitude to be honest.

So does this man or woman phone or text you directly? Seems like a very time consuming task for one person. In my day, they used to post out reports and that is how you found out your game if not the newspaper, however I suspect with technology things may have moved on

Automated texting service that gives games, reminders before game starts and another text to report scores.. great set up, until recently but i think thats across the board (all counties having same issues)

This person would be out every night sometimes at 3 games per day recently during championship, you can not fault his attitude and application in fairness.

So can we talk about the game on Sunday?

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2020, 04:43:46 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 04:21:50 PM

Automated texting service that gives games, reminders before game starts and another text to report scores.. great set up, until recently but i think thats across the board (all counties having same issues)

This person would be out every night sometimes at 3 games per day recently during championship, you can not fault his attitude and application in fairness.

So can we talk about the game on Sunday?

Fair dues to that guy then

Sunday, hmm! Unfortunately, I think this comes back to the issue of the potential bans and appeals. I feel if Mick plays then this is equal to say psychologically 4 points against Creggan given the apparent lift they got from his sending off.

I think all we can hope for is a better game than 2 years ago.

What about the minor final, I understand these are the two best teams and should be competitive

BrendanAntrim

[/quote]

Amplitude??