All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heshs Umpire

No matter what happens now, it's a big improvement on going out to Antrim last year.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Tony

True. I'm just hoping that Cunningham will stay on. If not, we'll likely have a similar setup as the league again in 2017, and if that's the case, it'll be a disaster. It's no secret - the impact Cunningham has had. The players know it; the fans see it. I hope beyond hope he's kept on or promoted but I highly doubt it as a man of his talents isn't available for long. Get on it, County Board - if you've any sense at all. Lillis is a really nice football man but he's nowhere near enough to get the best out of the players. The likelyhood is that Lillis will be kept on, as this season looks half- decent - then Cunningham will go - then we'll have a very poor 2017 due to lack of know-how in the setup. I hope Laois are pro- active and don't let that happen. Cunningham for Laois 2017. There's no way we would have beaten Armagh twice or given a half decent account of ourselves vs Dublin without Cunningham on board.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2016, 11:44:57 AM
True. I'm just hoping that Cunningham will stay on. If not, we'll likely have a similar setup as the league again in 2017, and if that's the case, it'll be a disaster. It's no secret - the impact Cunningham has had. The players know it; the fans see it. I hope beyond hope he's kept on or promoted but I highly doubt it as a man of his talents isn't available for long. Get on it, County Board - if you've any sense at all. Lillis is a really nice football man but he's nowhere near enough to get the best out of the players. The likelyhood is that Lillis will be kept on, as this season looks half- decent - then Cunningham will go - then we'll have a very poor 2017 due to lack of know-how in the setup. I hope Laois are pro- active and don't let that happen. Cunningham for Laois 2017. There's no way we would have beaten Armagh twice or given a half decent account of ourselves vs Dublin without Cunningham on board.

How much do we know about his actual influence and capability? True, the team has tried to put a defensive structure in place since he has been involved but it has hardly been sophisticated. All I have seen so far is that we are putting 12-13 lads back into our half. What they do when they get there is still highly questionable and what we do when we get the ball is even more questionable. Would be interested in an inside view of whether they are building up a plan and starting to take shape around it or if the tactical planning has just switched from 'get out and do your best' to 'get out and do your best and most of ye stay back'. Hope it is not the case but wondering if anyone has any insight into a vision or a strategic direction for the team.

Joeythelips

Any chance healy will join up with footballers now the hurlers are gone?

The Monument Road

Quote from: Joeythelips on July 05, 2016, 02:01:20 PM
Any chance healy will join up with footballers now the hurlers are gone?
Rumour has it Healy was injured on saturday evening against clare. A serious enough shoulder injury which could keep him out of the club championship....

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Cahir was badly injured in the hurling against Clare. Pity, I hear there would have been a good chance of him joining up with the footballers. Pity, he would have added a lot to our strength in depth and knows Lillis very well. Nothing we can do about that now, though. Fair play to Cahir for continuing to give his all for the county, the lad is an absolute credit to himself.

The Monument Road

Quote from: Tony on July 05, 2016, 09:25:50 PM
Cahir was badly injured in the hurling against Clare. Pity, I hear there would have been a good chance of him joining up with the footballers. Pity, he would have added a lot to our strength in depth and knows Lillis very well. Nothing we can do about that now, though. Fair play to Cahir for continuing to give his all for the county, the lad is an absolute credit to himself.
Well said...

Junior Ex Laoistalk

What a pity, he would have been a great addition to the squad and would have boosted their confidence a lot.
Hopefully he will commit next year, personally I think he never should have left..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

ILikeStrawberryJam

Cahir is a bit of a legend for portlaoise and Laois. His commitment is incredible.
But being honest at this stage i think we should stick with these new lads if we are to move forward.
Attride has the potential to be a great corner back and Hanrahan looks like he could be
top too given time. Also Robbie Keogh is to come back. Seale too with time could make it.
I think Cahir must be nearly 30 at this stage .. His first love is hurling .. i think he should stick to it ..
Playing both codes from a different country isnt a runner .. Huge respect to the man though ..

I would like to see Walsh and Meaney start on Sunday replacing begley and cahillane ..

No one should be gauranteed a spot on the team  .. keeps everyone on their toes ..

Cant call it ..

Unlaoised

Laois football looks like its on the up ...Last nights result in the minors has captured everyones imagination coupled with the two victories over Armagh...

A win on Sunday and a nice draw....Sligo at home and we could be on to something this year......

Amazing what difference a few weeks can make can't wait to go to Ennis now and the Leinster Final!
LAOIS ABÚ

County Man

Exactly there is a real feel good factor at the moment with Laois football.

I hope a decent following travels down and we can grab a win to continue the momentum.

I feel it will be a more high scoring game than both of the Armagh clashes and I fully believe we will win.

Anthony Cunningham's work has been tremendous and it is the main reason we are here.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: County Man on July 07, 2016, 12:24:57 PM
Anthony Cunningham's work has been tremendous and it is the main reason we are here.

Would ask the same question that I asked above. Is the Anthony Cunningham story myth or reality?

From previous comment:

How much do we know about his actual influence and capability? True, the team has tried to put a defensive structure in place since he has been involved but it has hardly been sophisticated. All I have seen so far is that we are putting 12-13 lads back into our half. What they do when they get there is still highly questionable and what we do when we get the ball is even more questionable. Would be interested in an inside view of whether they are building up a plan and starting to take shape around it or if the tactical planning has just switched from 'get out and do your best' to 'get out and do your best and most of ye stay back'. Hope it is not the case but wondering if anyone has any insight into a vision or a strategic direction for the team.

Unlaoised

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on July 07, 2016, 12:57:16 PM
Quote from: County Man on July 07, 2016, 12:24:57 PM

Would ask the same question that I asked above. Is the Anthony Cunningham story myth or reality?

From previous comment:

From what I know and it comes from a panelist its a lot more structured than that he has an input in everything and is superb with the players.

He has tried to change the tactics so as to concede less which was first trialed out against Dublin in the second half and has continued from there..

The transition from defence to attack has not been as smooth but this is what is been worked on.

I think if Kingston clicks and Conway and Meridth keep winning hard ball then we could be on to something ...

O'Loughlin in the forward line is a big possibility as well this Sunday which would be another option......

I just hope the prep is good and that Laois are ready for the early throw in down there!
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Good to have some inside knowledge, cheers unlaoised.

But it's pretty clear it was Cunningham who has brought on this change anyway. Before Cunningham (BC) , Lillis was saying stuff like "the way we play is just the laois way", but after Cunningham arrived, our style has suddenly changed a lot - it's no co-incidence. As stated, Lillis seems like a very nice football man but reading between the lines, he's not a tactical genius or even a tactical intermediate.