Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: trailer on January 22, 2020, 01:05:57 PM
Quote from: GlenMan on January 22, 2020, 12:55:18 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 22, 2020, 12:41:02 PM
Quote from: Ty4Sam on January 22, 2020, 12:31:49 PM
Quote from: GlenMan on January 22, 2020, 12:13:46 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on January 22, 2020, 12:08:37 PM
The outcome of discussions on reserve competitions from last nights meeting is very disappointing. For years now reserve football has been on its knees. My club discussed this at length and whilst we could see some flaws in decoupling the games we felt it had to be worth a shot in order to try to breathe some new life into the reserve competitions. I am astounded this was defeated by a vote and would love to see a club breakdown. I can see no sense in not trying this approach for at least 1 year. Yes it would take some fine tuning and imagination from clubs with regards to training/picking squads on a weekly basis, but surely it was better than the status quo.

There was no vote but from the discussions last night the following Clubs were very vocally against it - Carrickmore, Tattyreagh, Loughmacrory, Clann na nGael, Glenelly, Trillick, Stewartstown, Castlederg etc.

I was hoping the changes would go through but as you can see both small and large Clubs were against it. 70% of the responses received by the CCC from Clubs were against change to the Reserve competition.

Outrageous decision last night regarding reserve football. As stated already, clubs had to look at this as a positive for Tyrone football not their club, unfortunately too many clubs can't/aren't prepared to do this. From a quick search of last years conceded reserves matches a few of the clubs listed above featured heavily, the others, although may not have conceded, were still affected by opposition conceding. The mind boggles as to how these teams think next season will play out. Dinosaurs!! What harm could it have done to try this for a year??

Ok so we've heard some smaller clubs didn't want the change because they are working with small numbers. What was the reason Carrickmore, Trillick and other bigger clubs voted against it?

They didn't want to split their squad up. Players move between both teams and they felt that separating the competitions would cause a split in the squad.

If anything it would broaden their squad with naming a Reserve panel for a Friday and then a Senior panel of say 26 for a Sunday with 11 Reserve players in it.
They won't benefit from this. The amount of teams that concede to the likes of Clonoe, Carrickmore, Errigal etc only starves them of games.

Carrickmore where to the forefront of opposition I believe with Gavin McElroy penning an over the top letter. All well and good for Carrickmore who are guaranteed numbers - I believe this also helps 'bigger clubs' in the long run as they continue to easily develop their players (which they likes of Carrickmore do very well).

This is why it was so dissppointing that 'smaller' clubs didn't get behind it for whatever reason.

Saying the club would be splitting the squads is nonsense apart from 5 or 6 clubs it wouldn't even be possible. All players would still be training together in pre season & Tuesday nights all year at a minimum.

PMG1

Quote from: topofthesoil on January 22, 2020, 10:59:26 AM
such a backwards county in terms of the proposal not going through last night. Some clubs will severely struggle now. What is the point in Moy reserves being in div 1? they barely fielded a game last season and are expected to hold their own in div 1 this year again, and Greencastle reserves in div 2 are capable of fielding and would be a lot more competitive in div 1. Likewise for derrytresk, being expected to be competitive at intermediate. IMO it was worth a trial for a year.
Biggest laugh of the night was Moy and Killyclogher being two of the clubs saying they would field all year in the reserves, we will see how that goes

Christmas Lights

Ive said it before on here and I will say it again, I think its just time to scrap reserve football in Tyrone. 

I would have previously said that the county board didn't give a fcuk about reserve football / players but fair play to them on this occasion in that they had really put in some effort to come up with a viable and exciting solution / proposal to what was a dying competition.  I had no idea though that the clubs themselves are the real ones who do not give a toss about reserve football or essentially their reserve players.  That's what it has boiled down to here.  Elitism in the GAA once again takes hold.  I find it ironic that clubs crib and cry about elitism when it comes to club vs county matters but they have done the same with their own players on this occasion    

At the end of the day, the reserve team is considered a burden, lets be honest, nobody really says it but it is.  A lot of clubs now have outside managers and the only priority is the senior team.  Bit like the premier league, the managers will be judged on the senior teams performance & results, not what the ressies are doing.  The managers themselves have enough on their plate without worrying about his 24 year old reserve corner back who can barely solo or his 16 stone corner forward who is gassed out after 3 runs, they just dont want the hassle of it and I think thats why so many clubs have opted against the new proposals.  Its new, it requires change and will require more effort which they aren't prepared to make.  People do not like change. 

Last night was a chance to perhaps save it and make it a competition where clubs and reserve players could find their level with the prospects of promotion / relegation.  It could have finally been a meaningful competition for the lesser / older and developing players within clubs.  Maybe give some of them more a sense of purpose playing in a separate competition. It could have shone a light in terms of social media coverage on a new competition and the lesser players within clubs might have got the chance to see their picture or name on a match report in some of the local papers or teamtalk.  As some other poster alluded to, Moy reserves in division 1 is a waste of everyone's time from the players to the management,the spectators to the referee.

Time to put a pin in this shambles of a competition, its done. 

redzone

Club boi

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 22, 2020, 02:20:47 PM
Ive said it before on here and I will say it again, I think its just time to scrap reserve football in Tyrone. 

I would have previously said that the county board didn't give a fcuk about reserve football / players but fair play to them on this occasion in that they had really put in some effort to come up with a viable and exciting solution / proposal to what was a dying competition.  I had no idea though that the clubs themselves are the real ones who do not give a toss about reserve football or essentially their reserve players.  That's what it has boiled down to here.  Elitism in the GAA once again takes hold.  I find it ironic that clubs crib and cry about elitism when it comes to club vs county matters but they have done the same with their own players on this occasion    

At the end of the day, the reserve team is considered a burden, lets be honest, nobody really says it but it is.  A lot of clubs now have outside managers and the only priority is the senior team.  Bit like the premier league, the managers will be judged on the senior teams performance & results, not what the ressies are doing.  The managers themselves have enough on their plate without worrying about his 24 year old reserve corner back who can barely solo or his 16 stone corner forward who is gassed out after 3 runs, they just dont want the hassle of it and I think thats why so many clubs have opted against the new proposals.  Its new, it requires change and will require more effort which they aren't prepared to make.  People do not like change. 

Last night was a chance to perhaps save it and make it a competition where clubs and reserve players could find their level with the prospects of promotion / relegation.  It could have finally been a meaningful competition for the lesser / older and developing players within clubs.  Maybe give some of them more a sense of purpose playing in a separate competition. It could have shone a light in terms of social media coverage on a new competition and the lesser players within clubs might have got the chance to see their picture or name on a match report in some of the local papers or teamtalk.  As some other poster alluded to, Moy reserves in division 1 is a waste of everyone's time from the players to the management,the spectators to the referee.

Started off a clown, saved yourself last paragraph and then ended it being a clown again. You MUST be from 1 of the so called big clubs in Tyrone to have such ignorance about reserve football

Gaagaagaa20

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 22, 2020, 02:20:47 PM

If its such a shambles of a competition why was there as many at the reserve game between Ardboe and Coalisland as youd see at manys a senior championship game last year? As has been pointed out you are a clown.

skeog

Its not the first Letter that Gavin has penned.

trailer

Quote from: PMG1 on January 22, 2020, 02:04:54 PM
such a backwards county in terms of the proposal not going through last night. Some clubs will severely struggle now. What is the point in Moy reserves being in div 1? they barely fielded a game last season and are expected to hold their own in div 1 this year again, and Greencastle reserves in div 2 are capable of fielding and would be a lot more competitive in div 1. Likewise for derrytresk, being expected to be competitive at intermediate. IMO it was worth a trial for a year.
Biggest laugh of the night was Moy and Killyclogher being two of the clubs saying they would field all year in the reserves, we will see how that goes

I'd say the Moy conceded more games than they played last year. I don't see that changing.

Under Lights

Dromore won the Division 1 reserve league by playing 7 SEVEN games.

That's Division 1.

Drumraghexile

Quote from: trailer on January 22, 2020, 04:00:53 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on January 22, 2020, 02:04:54 PM

I'd say the Moy conceded more games than they played last year. I don't see that changing.

We have won more reserve championships in the past 3 years than Moy reserves did play games last season. Let us go up to Div 1 so we can bring home the real bacon !

GetOverTheBar

I thought at one stage reserve games were allowed to be played at 13 a side. Was that done away with? I thought that was worth a shot - obviously must have been phased out or just not implemented full stop?

trailer

Quote from: Under Lights on January 22, 2020, 04:31:24 PM

That's Division 1.

There you have it. A joke that Clubs went against this.

GlenMan

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 22, 2020, 04:36:15 PM
I thought at one stage reserve games were allowed to be played at 13 a side. Was that done away with? I thought that was worth a shot - obviously must have been phased out or just not implemented full stop?

They are 13 a side in Junior. Clubs have to agree to go 15 a side.

Snapchap

Quote from: Under Lights on January 22, 2020, 04:31:24 PM

That's Division 1.

When you look some of the so-called 'small' clubs that managed to field in most/all their reserve games, then perhaps it's worth considering the notion that it's not the system/format that needs changed, but the attitude of the clubs who don't bother their hole putting effort or emphasis on their reserve structures and haven't the foresight to consider how a strong reserve panel can be of benefit to the senior team when they are training as one unit under one management.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: GlenMan on January 22, 2020, 04:56:18 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 22, 2020, 04:36:15 PM

They are 13 a side in Junior. Clubs have to agree to go 15 a side.

Probably worth bringing it in now at all levels. Bound to improve game completion if nothing else.