Jim Gavin

Started by imtommygunn, November 30, 2019, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 05, 2019, 12:23:14 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2019, 09:59:06 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on December 05, 2019, 08:50:13 AM
Total devastation here, i said it here before, my biggest fear is the day Jim Gavins leaves the team.

The most important thing to remember, its not all about the winning, its the legacy and culture he leaves in place and the men he made. All future players will aspire to this era as the template.

The team still has the players to win a couple of more, however some slight cracks are appearing and who will also follow him in retirement.

My choice for successor is Cluxton.

Pass me a bucket! You only appear on here to crow about how great Dublin are (look at your username ffs) and to insult others.

It's like he's done media training and treats this as the media but got it all wrong  ;D

To be fair though I find some of the criticism of Gavin a bit harsh. Yes he has clear advantages but he is clearly an exceptional guy too. It will be very interesting to see how they follow up now. You would expect them to still dominate but how much so will tell us how good he is / was.

;) :D 8)

Ok it is about the winning and putting and keeping the rest of the country in their place, is that better for you.

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2019, 01:12:40 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/john-costello-questions-standards-of-prime-time-reporting-on-dublin-football-1.4105652

John Costello, the Dublin GAA chief executive, has questioned the "standards" and "editorial choice" adopted by RTÉ's Prime Time programme in the immediate aftermath of the capital football team clinching a historic five-in-a-row of All-Ireland titles.

In Costello's wide ranging annual missive he addresses Prime Time's suggestion that due to Dublin's "abundant resources of population and sponsorship there will never again be real equality in the game."

RTÉ followed this up with a report noting ill feeling around the country about Dublin's "financial advantage" and how it may have "paved the road" for recent success.

"Dublin football teams have 'raised the passions' of supporters, commentators and viewers for a long time," Costello wrote this morning. "There is just something about that jersey that creates lively debate! The success of the team of the 1970s brought with it some derision. The more things change

What is interesting is the dissent

"We are, unfortunately, becoming familiar with the increasingly twisted manner of public discourse and I genuinely believe that a large part of the contorted debate about funding for Dublin falls into this category.~"
"Without moderation, what happens on social media where attention and populist outrage are craved is largely beyond our control and unworthy in many instances of rational debate. "
I was somewhat shocked when, with the dust not even settled on our historic All-Ireland football success, RTÉ's flagship investigative programme Prime Time included the debate as an 'issue' worth covering"

This will only increase. Because the sport also belongs to 33 other counties.

Fake news!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

twohands!!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/john-costello-questions-standards-of-prime-time-reporting-on-dublin-football-1.4105652

John Costello, the Dublin GAA chief executive, has questioned the "standards" and "editorial choice" adopted by RTÉ's Prime Time programme in the immediate aftermath of the capital football team clinching a historic five-in-a-row of All-Ireland titles.

In Costello's wide ranging annual missive he addresses Prime Time's suggestion that due to Dublin's "abundant resources of population and sponsorship there will never again be real equality in the game."

RTÉ followed this up with a report noting ill feeling around the country about Dublin's "financial advantage" and how it may have "paved the road" for recent success.

"Dublin football teams have 'raised the passions' of supporters, commentators and viewers for a long time," Costello wrote this morning. "There is just something about that jersey that creates lively debate! The success of the team of the 1970s brought with it some derision. The more things change

"We are, unfortunately, becoming familiar with the increasingly twisted manner of public discourse and I genuinely believe that a large part of the contorted debate about funding for Dublin falls into this category.~"
"Without moderation, what happens on social media where attention and populist outrage are craved is largely beyond our control and unworthy in many instances of rational debate. "
I was somewhat shocked when, with the dust not even settled on our historic All-Ireland football success, RTÉ's flagship investigative programme Prime Time included the debate as an 'issue' worth covering"

There's a famous legal quote "If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell"

Costello pounding the table and yelling like hell here with his moaning about Prime Time's coverage and social media.

He's trying to do his best to keep the whole Dublin funding issue off the agenda for as long as possible with his claim to be shocked that Prime Time covered the issue.

imtommygunn

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 05, 2019, 01:20:43 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 05, 2019, 12:23:14 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2019, 09:59:06 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on December 05, 2019, 08:50:13 AM
Total devastation here, i said it here before, my biggest fear is the day Jim Gavins leaves the team.

The most important thing to remember, its not all about the winning, its the legacy and culture he leaves in place and the men he made. All future players will aspire to this era as the template.

The team still has the players to win a couple of more, however some slight cracks are appearing and who will also follow him in retirement.

My choice for successor is Cluxton.

Pass me a bucket! You only appear on here to crow about how great Dublin are (look at your username ffs) and to insult others.

It's like he's done media training and treats this as the media but got it all wrong  ;D

To be fair though I find some of the criticism of Gavin a bit harsh. Yes he has clear advantages but he is clearly an exceptional guy too. It will be very interesting to see how they follow up now. You would expect them to still dominate but how much so will tell us how good he is / was.

;) :D 8)

Ok it is about the winning and putting and keeping the rest of the country in their place, is that better for you.

probably a bit more honest.

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 05, 2019, 04:21:48 PM

There's a famous legal quote "If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell"

Costello pounding the table and yelling like hell here with his moaning about Prime Time's coverage and social media.

He's trying to do his best to keep the whole Dublin funding issue off the agenda for as long as possible with his claim to be shocked that Prime Time covered the issue.

He talks about social media as if it's a tribe from Papua New guinea
Social media when it comes to funding the Dubs is mainly  GAA patrons. Whether or not those people continue to pay to watch championship football is the big question which possibly keeps the CFO of the GAA awake in the small hours.
The model is very fragile.   

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2019, 04:37:45 PM

Social media when it comes to funding the Dubs is mainly  GAA patrons. Whether or not those people continue to pay to watch championship football is the big question which possibly keeps the CFO of the GAA awake in the small hours.

The thing is ''The Prime time'' programme covered very little. It butchered a 10 minute Skype interview with Ewan McKenna down to 90 seconds. It gave little or no facts or figures. There was nobody of note interviewed. It was a nothing part segment of  their show. Half arsed comes to mind!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: lenny on December 05, 2019, 07:31:13 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on December 04, 2019, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 04, 2019, 12:00:38 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-gavin-leaves-dublin-with-history-made-and-gaelic-football-transformed-1.4100789

Jim Gavin honours as Dublin manager

6 All-Irelands
7 Leinster titles
5 National Leagues
49 All Stars 
4 Footballers of the Year
Overall Record - Played 107 Won 86 Lost 11 Drew 10
Championship - Played 48 Won 44 Lost 1 Drew 3
League - Played 59 Won 42 Lost 10 Drew 7

The U21 sides he managed to All Ireland titles in 2010 and 2012 had plenty of players who would go on to star in his senior teams. R O Carroll, J Cooper, J McCarthy, D Rock, J McCaffrey, C Kilkenny, P Mannion to name but a few.

I'd predict that in the next 10 years dublin will win at the most 2 all ireland's, possibly even 0 or 1. At that point everyone will recognise Gavin as the greatest manager of all time.

Best of luck with that prediction if you happen to place money on it. (you'll need it)

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 05, 2019, 05:51:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2019, 04:37:45 PM

The thing is ''The Prime time'' programme covered very little. It butchered a 10 minute Skype interview with Ewan McKenna down to 90 seconds. It gave little or no facts or figures. There was nobody of note interviewed. It was a nothing part segment of  their show. Half arsed comes to mind!
Even so, what is most striking about that rant is the sensitivity.
The 5 in a row is tainted and he is not happy about it.
A Cluxton approach would ignore the barbs and keep emotion out of it but Costello can't.
Hound would say it was all jealousy but Costello can't because he knows he wouldn't be able to pull it off. 
Absolutely fascinating. 

seafoid

Jim Gavin would make a great crooner with songs such as "Every year I've been involved,  I have given it my all", "More importantly what's best for the players" and "I reflect on the season that has gone by"

Dinner dances up and down the country would lap it up.
Dickie Rock , eat your heart out.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/decision-to-step-down-in-interests-of-dublin-says-gavin-1.4106154

dublin7

Alot of what passes for debate on social media is nonsense. Twitter can be useful at times, but alot of it hate fueled rubnish best ignored.

Whatever about the production quality of the prime time show, its fair enough to ask why the need to show it right after the dubs won the All Ireland.

priceyreilly

Quote from: dublin7 on December 06, 2019, 08:56:47 AM
Alot of what passes for debate on social media is nonsense. Twitter can be useful at times, but alot of it hate fueled rubnish best ignored.

Whatever about the production quality of the prime time show, its fair enough to ask why the need to show it right after the dubs won the All Ireland.

Why do you think the real reasons for Dublin's success should be silenced? It's a national scandal. Disgraced former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is at the centre of it, along with the Bailey family. We've seen recent evidence of their dodginess.

Are we all supposed to just pretend we don't know about the millions upon millions of euro that has transformed Dublin GAA? Money taken from government funds and handed to Berties county. A full investigation should take place, we need this exposed just like the FAI are getting exposed now.

lenny

Quote from: priceyreilly on December 06, 2019, 08:03:33 PM

Why do you think the real reasons for Dublin's success should be silenced? It's a national scandal. Disgraced former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is at the centre of it, along with the Bailey family. We've seen recent evidence of their dodginess.

Are we all supposed to just pretend we don't know about the millions upon millions of euro that has transformed Dublin GAA? Money taken from government funds and handed to Berties county. A full investigation should take place, we need this exposed just like the FAI are getting exposed now.

Some deadly bitter conspiracy theorists on here. When Kerry win 6 out of the next 7 or 8 all Ireland's will there be as much outrage? Bottom line is we've seen one of the best teams of all time managed by an all time great manager. Many of those players are coming to the end together which will mean a transition period. My opinion is that the replacements won't have the same quality.

ONeill

Was Micko a brilliant manager/trainer or was he lucky? Why did he not keep winning when the great Kerry side aged?

Same for Gavin. Or is it? Seems like Gavin oversaw at least 2 different sides in a short space of time.

If the new Dublin manager wins another 3/4 All Irelands in next 5 years....how do we judge Gavin?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lenny on December 06, 2019, 09:23:49 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on December 06, 2019, 08:03:33 PM

Some deadly bitter conspiracy theorists on here. When Kerry win 6 out of the next 7 or 8 all Ireland's will there be as much outrage? Bottom line is we've seen one of the best teams of all time managed by an all time great manager. Many of those players are coming to the end together which will mean a transition period. My opinion is that the replacements won't have the same quality.
Ah, bejaysus Lenny, you are being a bit hard on Dublin! ;D ;D
Why do you say they are only "one of the best teams of all time?"
Name me any other to compare with them.
Also, I think you are sticking your neck out far to predict that Kerry will win next year's AI, never mind 6 out of the next 7 or 8.
What makes you think they improve by miraculous means to beat Dublin next year? After all they were a beaten docket a quarter of an hour before the end of the replay this year and Dublin don't do replays. Mayo know all about that.
Don't recall Kerry scoring in the last 10 minutes and wonderkid David Clifford was shagged out long before the end. On fitness alone, no one can compare with the Dubs. If you don't take your chances, they won't come around again.
Kerry only started coming good during the championships this year. They were rubbish during the league and indeed for a few years past. They have two good 20 somethings, a passable midfield and the rest are  no more than work horses.
I think you should be looking west or maybe northwest for the next champions.

Buy you could wait another 10 years for that to happen.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on December 06, 2019, 10:16:06 PM
Was Micko a brilliant manager/trainer or was he lucky? Why did he not keep winning when the great Kerry side aged?

Same for Gavin. Or is it? Seems like Gavin oversaw at least 2 different sides in a short space of time.

If the new Dublin manager wins another 3/4 All Irelands in next 5 years....how do we judge Gavin?
Being serious for a change, he was both. Why didn't he keep on winning when his great team aged? I think the answer is obvious; he had not got adequate replacements coming through. He had been faced with a difficult choice as he freely admitted. Did he persist with those he knew could deliver for a further limited period or did he try to shore up cracks that were beginning to appear by introducing younger, freshers players and hoping they'd measure up.
He played it safe and opted for the first former..
In hindsight, I think history has proved him right. His luck ran out with the 5 in a row in sight but he still managed remarkably well with the limited pool of quality players he had. Kerry did manage three in a row in '84, '85 and '86, when he finally had to introduce new blood and he was later to take Kildare to an AI final, for the first time since 1928.
With due respect to Jim Gavin, Micko still leads the way.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi