Jim Gavin

Started by imtommygunn, November 30, 2019, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

priceyreilly

Quote from: lenny on December 03, 2019, 05:25:25 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on December 03, 2019, 03:56:08 PM
Do you know what helped Dublin after 2014? The hiring of a professional basketball coach to break down tight defences and create their possession game. Of course, a coach of that standard didn't come cheap, either does the huge backroom team. This is all after the multi million euro player development system Dublin have been operating for near 2 decades. For these reasons, Gavin can never be referred to as the greatest manager in Gaelic Football. Is Michelle Smith's manager the greatest ever Irish swimming coach? Is the US Postal team manager with Lance Armstrong on board the greatest ever cycling manager? I could go on.

Just as there's an asterisk beside all Dublin titles post doping, there's an asterisk beside Jim Gavin's record at underage and senior.

lol, I don't know what record books or websites you're looking at but I haven't seen any asterisks and nor will I. If you've created some in your own head then you just stick to that but you won't have much support apart from a few bitter begrudgers.

There's no asterisk beside Michelle Smith's name in the record books, she still has her Olympic medals, we all know better. It's the same with Dublin GAA. Doping of any form shouldn't be celebrated.

imtommygunn

Quote from: priceyreilly on December 03, 2019, 06:12:51 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2019, 04:28:13 PM
that is a grossly unfair comparison.

He used the resources at his disposal therefore he is as bad as a drugs cheat?

I don't disagree with the comments about it having gone too far etc but the likes of that post is too far.

I didn't say Gavin was as bad as a drugs cheat. I said his accomplishments come with an asterisk because of the doping. Not his fault, of course, he was just a small player in the overall disgusting scheme of things.

Maybe you didn't but you compared him. So Michelle Smith has no asterisk beside her name and now gavin has so not only are you comparing him you are saying he's worse??

priceyreilly

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2019, 06:18:52 PM

I don't disagree with the comments about it having gone too far etc but the likes of that post is too far.

I didn't say Gavin was as bad as a drugs cheat. I said his accomplishments come with an asterisk because of the doping. Not his fault, of course, he was just a small player in the overall disgusting scheme of things.

Maybe you didn't but you compared him. So Michelle Smith has no asterisk beside her name and now gavin has so not only are you comparing him you are saying he's worse??

Comprehension is not a strength of yours.

imtommygunn

;D

Rationale is not one of yours.

priceyreilly

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2019, 06:45:50 PM
;D

Go do your homework like a good lad and let the adults have a discussion.

imtommygunn

;D

I'll leave you to rewriting the history books. Let me know when I can get a copy.

priceyreilly

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2019, 07:01:27 PM
;D

I'll leave you to rewriting the history books. Let me know when I can get a copy.

Come back to me when you've done your junior cert at the earliest.  :D

imtommygunn

Quote from: priceyreilly on December 03, 2019, 07:54:58 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2019, 07:01:27 PM
;D

Come back to me when you've done your junior cert at the earliest.  :D

They don't do junior cert up here  ;D

dublin7

Quote from: priceyreilly on December 03, 2019, 06:26:08 PM

While the majority of people accept Michelle Smith doped to win in the Olympics this was never proven so there is no "asterix" beside her name in the record books.

Jim Gavin and the dubs won't have any asterix beside their names in the history books either , but Jim Gavin is far more respected and admired.

If you really are concerned about real doping sport why not spend your time looking into Salazar and Mo Farrah rather than making up s**t about Dublin and Jim Gavin

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 03, 2019, 08:43:15 PM

While the majority of people accept Michelle Smith doped to win in the Olympics this was never proven so there is no "asterix" beside her name in the record books.

Jim Gavin and the dubs won't have any asterix beside their names in the history books either , but Jim Gavin is far more respected and admired.

If you really are concerned about real doping sport why not spend your time looking into Salazar and Mo Farrah rather than making up s**t about Dublin and Jim Gavin

There will be no asterix after any of Dublin's titles. To have such an asterix would show that the GAA have made a mistake. As we stand, the Gaa will not admit to over funding Dublin. They will not admit to giving them so many home games. They will not admit to destroying Leinster. The Present President is from Dublin which adds to the conundrum.  Anyway, Looking forward to next years AI already. Will be shouting for Dublin again!..............By the way where is Zulu these days?

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 03, 2019, 09:16:11 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 03, 2019, 08:43:15 PM

There will be no asterix after any of Dublin's titles. To have such an asterix would show that the GAA have made a mistake. As we stand, the Gaa will not admit to over funding Dublin. They will not admit to giving them so many home games. They will not admit to destroying Leinster. The Present President is from Dublin which adds to the conundrum.  Anyway, Looking forward to next years AI already. Will be shouting for Dublin again!..............By the way where is Zulu these days?
In 2070 a 10 year old is looking at the records and notices that Dublin won 15 in a row. He or she might ask an adult what happened given that no other team did it.  By then it will be commonly accepted that...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: priceyreilly on December 03, 2019, 06:54:58 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2019, 06:45:50 PM
;D

Go do your homework like a good lad and let the adults have a discussion.

The irony!!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 30, 2019, 06:24:32 PM
A game changer for Dublin.

Brilliant manager.

Opens up the 2020 Championship a little...

Well said Dinny. A serious amount of rubbish on this thread unfortuntely and Dinny as he often does is a shining light in the midst of the crap. Obviously Dinny has issues with Dublin's perceived advantages but he can still be sensible and rational in his appraisal of a great of the GAA.

imtommygunn

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 04, 2019, 11:32:17 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 30, 2019, 06:24:32 PM
A game changer for Dublin.

Brilliant manager.

Opens up the 2020 Championship a little...

Well said Dinny. A serious amount of rubbish on this thread unfortuntely and Dinny as he often does is a shining light in the midst of the crap. Obviously Dinny has issues with Dublin's perceived advantages but he can still be sensible and rational in his appraisal of a great of the GAA.

Two good posts. Fully agree.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-gavin-leaves-dublin-with-history-made-and-gaelic-football-transformed-1.4100789

Jim Gavin honours as Dublin manager

6 All-Irelands
7 Leinster titles
5 National Leagues
49 All Stars 
4 Footballers of the Year
Overall Record - Played 107 Won 86 Lost 11 Drew 10
Championship - Played 48 Won 44 Lost 1 Drew 3
League - Played 59 Won 42 Lost 10 Drew 7
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU