Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

You are Smurfy, you are. And you're not far away with those comments.

Glad we've another day out so that the boys get the chance to redeem things, a chance they've certainly earned.

Taylor

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 18, 2017, 08:23:26 AM
I have a slightly different view to most people. In the first half we lived with Tyrone. Tyrone fans say that's only cos they had a bad first half. But funnily enough aparantly Armagh and Monaghan both played poorly against us!!

To win a team needs belief and confidence. For Tyrone that comes through their experience. For an underdog it needs to be proven during the match.

We missed some critical scores. In the first minute a great pass was put into Harrison and he let it bounce off him, Tyrone went down the field and scored. What would getting an easy quick score have done for our lads self belief?

We missed a goal chance in the last minute before half time and an easy point at the start of the second half. Four points would have given energy and belief back to Down. Would Tyrone have hit their purple patch so easily?

When Tyrone had that patch where they scored 7 consecutive points, we had four wides from fairly scoreable positions. The 9 point deficit that opened up caused our lads heads to drop. We failed to stay within a few points and the confidence sapped.

By the time our lads started to fight again it was too late but at least we saw some reaction. Then we were hit by a couple of sucker punches in the goals.

So my overall view remains that man for man our boys are not that far away from Tyrone for skills. But team confidence and belief leaves us 8 points behind. Tyrone are a machine that doesn't stop. We were only good when things were coming of for us and faltered when they weren't.

We missed a fair few scoreable chances and sometimes players passed up a scoring chance to move the ball to somone else. This only changes with confidence. It isn't a fundamental lack of skill.

Lots of what if's here I know. Lots of optimistic conjecture. But I really believe if they stick at it and learn to bring the energy and aggression of the first half to every minute of the game (especially when a good bit behind) then this Down team could win Ulster at least.

How can one man be so deluded?
We were at least 12/14 points the better team until we emptied the bench & McQuillan started giving easy frees.

OgraAnDun

You're both talking a bit of sense. Yes Tyrone could have been well ahead after half an hour, but Down also missed a few easy scores and on numerous occasions worked their way into scoring opportunities only to turn back into trouble or out to the wings. Tyrone are definitely on a different level to us and I don't think we'll be challenging for honours any time soon. However, we should be confident of at least holding our own in Ulster over the next few years.

PAULD123

No problem with your comments Surmfy. They are not wrong about the game. I'm just looking at why they are correct. But I don't think we need 3-4 forwards, we need our current forwards scoring confidently. We do not take direct chances. There is a hesitancy there. Tyrone are more ruthless with chances. Players need to have the confidence that the the second the score is on they just take it. Our boys don't show that. Tyrone do!

What I was saying is that we certainly were in a position to score more. Now it is about changing potential in confident scoring. We tend to overwork a clear scoring chance looking for a better one. Just take the score and come again.

When that happens not only will score more it also damages the oppositions confidence (which is what Tyrone did to us).

I would like to think that Burns sacraficed the league to prepare a team for the championship. Next year I hope he would use the league to practice becoming ruthless scorers. I would want to see us showing determined aggression in every game for the full 70. Then we would be ready for a real Ulster challenge.

I will repeat my view that man for man Down are not way behind Tyrone in basic skill level. It is confidence, belief, trust, and an ability to keep going for 70 minutes that I think we lack.

Also gonna repeat that Donegal were ripped apart by Armagh in 2010 and two years later were champions with all their All-stars having played in that game against Armagh.

upandwin

Anyone at the Kilcoo CPN game last night? Result Not a massive shock with Kilcoo missing so many lads. Heard the point missing 2/3 as well though. Any reports on the game?

Leftmidfield

Quote from: upandwin on July 18, 2017, 01:34:08 PM
Anyone at the Kilcoo CPN game last night? Result Not a massive shock with Kilcoo missing so many lads. Heard the point missing 2/3 as well though. Any reports on the game?

CPN were missing 2 McCartans (Ciaran and Cormac) Ross McGarry, Miceal O'Hare, Sean Gallagher, Ryan Mallon didn't start but came on the 2nd half

One in All in

Was at the game last night - entertaining for a neutral

Kilcoo missing 2 Johnstons, D O'Hanlon, Conor Lavery and Aaron Morgan

Point missing above listed names plus Paddy Murdock and Ryan Mc Aleenan

Point should have won by more - they had alot of possession and didn't take chances

Didn't look like a Kilcoo Championship team with PD off the pace

elk

Quote from: One in All in on July 18, 2017, 05:17:56 PM
Was at the game last night - entertaining for a neutral

Kilcoo missing 2 Johnstons, D O'Hanlon, Conor Lavery and Aaron Morgan

Point missing above listed names plus Paddy Murdock and Ryan Mc Aleenan

Point should have won by more - they had alot of possession and didn't take chances

Didn't look like a Kilcoo Championship team with PD off the pace
Both teams will have a completely different look come the championship . Devlin spent a lot of his evening running after his marker and then struggled to get back up the pitch to the opposition half where he is at his most productive.

Bigben36

I see Clann na Banna are going to the DRA next week to sign a lad from Aghaderg. Sorted him out with a new house and all -  ;) ;). Big push for promotion this year!

Targetman

UlsterMan2

Ventured to the rgu match tonight score line flattered Downpatrick with only a minute to go stone should have made it a draw but a missed chance and rgu went up the field and got a goal, finished up 6 up, but have to say rice made a lot of calls against the stone especially a goal against the stone with 10 minutes to go, think the stone diserved a draw st least, but when ur lucks out its out

UlsterMan2

The other thing I must state is I've been till two rgu matches this year, first against mayobridge where I stated about Kieran Trainor making brave calls, 2nite he was standing just above me, at the stone match, apparently he hasn't refereed since that game, surely this county can't b doing without a referee of his standard, why is he not refereeing?

activegael

Any word as to why Glen conceded points to ford on friday night? Cant remember last time division 1 team conceded game.

Hoes before bros

Annaclone didn't field a team against Glenn two seasons ago. I think Kilcoo in the same season didn't field against Burren. And of course we all remember last seasons league final. There's 3 that I can remember

SHEEDY

Quote from: activegael on July 24, 2017, 08:57:29 AM
Any word as to why Glen conceded points to ford on friday night? Cant remember last time division 1 team conceded game.
afaik they wouldn't field without their 3 county players.
nil satis nisi optimum