Should the country go to Level 5?

Started by trileacman, October 05, 2020, 09:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the country go to Level 5 as adivsed by NPET?

Yes
25 (31.6%)
No
46 (58.2%)
Don't know
8 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 79

trileacman

Simple enough question. Just to do a bit of a straw poll of where public sentiment is at the minute.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

From the Bunker

NEPHET went from things are grand on Thursday to unadulterated panic Sunday evening.

Some turn around in a few days and no real figures.

NEPHET are in the business of keeping Deaths down. Governments are about keeping Debts down.

Boycey

I'm with the professionals, everyone else has a slightly different agenda. Theirs is simple, keep as many people as possible from dying..

From the Bunker

Quote from: Boycey on October 05, 2020, 10:14:45 PM
I'm with the professionals, everyone else has a slightly different agenda. Theirs is simple, keep as many people as possible from dying..

So are you with the Health professionals or the Economic Professionals?

dec

The coronavirus will kill people in the short term.

The lockdown will kill people in the long term.

ballinaman

It's very hard to make predictions , especially about the future

Itchy

Absolutely No from me. Nephet came up with the level 1 to 5, regional assessment of covid and regional application of the level. Only on sunday to lose their minds and announce the majority of country should jump from level 2 to 5.

Theyve completely discredited themselves and Leo was right tonight to give them both barells. Quite incredible carry on yesterday and today. Like it or not, elected people run the country and must consider all aspects. Tony and doctors are experts in an area but are not charged with governing the country.

Blowitupref

Maybe in a few weeks but right now it's a no from me. I'd even question why certain counties needed to go into level 3.

Last two weeks.  Leitrim 12 covid cases, Carlow 26, Sligo 39, Mayo 39,Waterford 45,Kilkenny 46,Laois 68,Cavan 69,Kerry 69, Tipperary 66. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Eamonnca1

If cases double every week, then 12 becomes 24, then 48, then 96, 192, 384, 768, 1,536, 3,072, 6,144 etc.

So you can go from 12 to 1,536 in the space of two months, and a fortnight later you're at 6,144.

It's not the number of cases you need to be watching, it's the rate of increase, even if the numbers are small initially. They have a way of getting big very quickly.

imtommygunn

I do wonder were there games at play by announcing recommendations to go to level 5 and tactics to try and scare people a bit. I really don't think we should be at 5 just yet. I think the north west, north north west, maybe needs a level 5 mind you.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: dec on October 05, 2020, 10:38:25 PM
The coronavirus will kill people in the short term.

Long covid we don't know about either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

This is one of these slogans without any obvious basis in fact. How, exactly will the lockdown kill people in the long term? The economy is damaged anyway by the virus, the lockdown doesn't make it materially worse. Will the Chinese economy suffer more in the long term than US?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

39 ICU beds unoccupied now I see on Twitter.  :-X
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lfdown2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 06, 2020, 11:01:38 AM

This is one of these slogans without any obvious basis in fact. How, exactly will the lockdown kill people in the long term? The economy is damaged anyway by the virus, the lockdown doesn't make it materially worse. Will the Chinese economy suffer more in the long term than US?

The likes of the following while not identifying specific deaths definitely supports the assertion that the risk of death through non Covid illness has increased;

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/30/charity-says-nearly-a-million-women-missed-breast-cancer-check

APM

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 06, 2020, 11:12:40 AM
39 ICU beds unoccupied now I see on Twitter.  :-X

How do you interpret this and compare it with the spring time case v hospitalised stats. 
Is the disease getting less dangerous?
Are more of the infected young?
Are there more reported cases and fewer unreported cases?