Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: stiffler on January 25, 2016, 11:15:00 PM
Div 1 & 2 to start in April.

Would have preferred an earlier start (and therefore finish) to the season myself.

lkewise, an earlier start would have been great and would have helped the dual clubs who have a big overlap. Ah well.

country bumpkin

Late start to division one football in April will most likely ensure a breakneck pace with again with three games per week for a while....and as for the new format well.............maybe a new name on the trophy, but I won't hold my breath.
Hope the men from Stewartstown road manage to stay up this time or we will have a new structure again for 2017.

Peileadoir

From what I hear, Division 1 and 2 teams will play one another once, and then split into a top 6 and bottom 6 whereby each team will play one another once in their own half. 16 games in total. Personally think the old format was better and clubs voted in the new proposal without giving it any thought but it is what it is and clubs have to get on with it. Hopefully the leagues will be completed by mid Sept at the latest  with 2 games fewer and not stretch into late October/start of November as it was for some clubs last year. Everyone just looking forward to championship draws next week.

Give and Go

Any word on the line up yet? With the College lads back competition for places must be razor keen! Hopefully no injuries picked up in last few weeks...

bannside

In total 38 players were invited to join the panel a few months ago and accepted to do so.  Once a few games are played the reality kicks in for some players and the thought of sitting on the bench, or worse not making the match day panel will see the panel automatically shred itself over the next few months. Thats going on in most counties and it sort itself out.

The panel for Carlow will be named by now and most likely the team itself wont be known until tonight. College players are back and there is a great mood in the camp. Fitzy has played a blinder over the break and freshened up the backroom team and now is the time to hand over to the players to see what their response is, come 2pm tomorrow.

Im hoping to be driving home with a good performance in the bag and two points on the table. Come on lads, time to get this show on the road!

bannside

Sincere best wishes to Michael Hasson from Rasharkin who will today officially become the new President of Ulster Gaa. He is the first Antrim Gael to hold the role since Alf Mc Murray in the 1950s. It has been a quick rise through the ranks for Michael who has been a player, referee and official and whose immediate and extended family are all still highly involved with St Marys. 

With Dunsilly and Casement Park projects ongoing it is a bonus to have an Antrim man involved for the next three years. Congratulations and good luck.

micko12368

Agree bannside, a gentleman of the highest order. A proud day for St Mary's and Antrim.

country bumpkin

A few surprises on the team for the Carlow game  ???

imtommygunn

I like the pro video of the team but is there a simple list too??

AQMP

5 pt win.  Solid start.  Big game next week at home to Wexford.  Corrigan Pk the venue I think.

Give and Go

Very fortunate to get a win there. Carlow dominated possession and kicked a lot of wides. Yet Antrim had a good number of chances when men were free inside of they could have been hit with a long ball. Michael McCann outstanding.

Mickey Linden

Great to see someone sign up to slabber about  a win. How did we survive all these years without u

bannside

If the fella had enough interest to drive to Carlow and support the team then he is welcome to come on here and give his views. Nothing he said smacks of slabbering. I was there too and while it was great to come up the road with 2 points, we had plenty of scary moments after inviting Carlow on to us - despite the fact that we were 7 up at one stage and playing with the wind.

It was a game we would have lost last year - so well done on that. But to be honest I expected a bit more than hanging on for grim death in the last ten minutes against a very poor team. I couldnt shake that fact off on the long drive home.

Give & Go was right in saying Mick Mc Cann was superb. So too was Niblock who picked up a bad looking knock. And what the hell is Matt Fitzpatrick doing camped in our defence???

SaffronHeart

Agree that bannside that we need fitzy in the full forward line. One good thing is there is serious competition for places the Johnstons, delargy, mcaleese, Murray, bam were all among the subs. I'd like to see Marty Johnston and delargy back next week. I feel delargy is our best man marker and could do a job on wexfords dangerous forwards.

Marty Johnston just oozes class and physicality. Will mckeever be suspended for next week?

I heard young  paddy mcaleer did well from what I was listening to on the radio

bannside

Agree SH about Marty Johnston. Hes got all the attributes and a good age now to come in and do his stuff. Will be fit and well and has played for UUJ this year so he wont need a few games to tune in. Niall Delargy has held Paddy Mc Brearty, Tomas Corrigan and lots of others scoreless or limited to one point from play so he will be disappointed with zero game time especially as he too is razor sharp having played all year for QUB. Better out in the half back line too I would offer. Ricky hasnt let Antrim down either so he can expect game time soon as well. One thing for sure, none of those guys will hang around if they dont feel appreciated.

Having said that our defence did well yesterday and none were noticeably sub standard. Snowy taking to FB like a duck to water, Conor Burke has great physical presence and I do like him tbh, and KOBO is Kobo = nailed on. Mc Aleer can be happy with his debut display too.

Personally I would have had Dermot Mc Aleese on well ahead of others who got game time. He can field a ball, break tackles and is as strong as a horse. Plus he can finish. Fit as a fiddle yet he watched several who werent near match fit (Sean Burke) go on ahead of him. Watching Matt Fitz trying to play a workhorse role that would have been perfect for Dermot was difficult and smacked of a home town decision. Will watch that development with interest. Tomas was non existent but got a full game. Ryan Murray a starter all day every day in my book.

The sooner SB is match fit the better, Niall Mc Keever needs a pull out from someone around the middle. The last 15 minutes was all Carlow and they were coming straight through the middle with no one marking anyone at times.

Some plusses yesterday, especially the points but lots to work on. Was still only January though and we are up and running.