Liam Sammon Steps Down/Joe Kernan to take over?

Started by Duine Eile, August 13, 2009, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I would suggest managing has less to with football and more to do with problem solving and organizing. If Gilroy was going in on his own I'd appreciate people having reservations but he had Whelan and he had IC playing experience and a powerful intellect, that's a pretty impressive package IMO. All Walsh has (that we know for sure) is the IC playing experience and 1 year with Sligo, now he may be an outstanding manager but at this time I don't see why so many are touting him as the Galway senior manager. Frank Doherty or Alan Mulholland are surely more worthy candidates, I can't rememeber who lead them to their recent U21 AI but that guy (was it Forde?) and some experienced club managers are also more worthy of consideration IMO.

IMO Sligo didn't do anything that they weren't capable of doing with almost anyone at the helm, their performance against Kerry was impressive I'll grant you but that seems to be the whole foundation on which Walsh's credentials are based. I simply think it would be prudent of the GCB to look for a man with a more impressive track record, and those guys are there in Galway were they there in Dublin? I can't think of any off hand.

INDIANA

Mick Deegan- took fingal ravens from inter to senior and to the all-ireland intermediate club final last year. Trained the dublin juniors to win the ll-ireland last year as well. No dis-respect to my clubmen- but he should have got the Dublin job IMO.

As for Galway- beyond Frank Doherty you're struggling fro native Galway men.

Zulu

Well I'd have had no problem with Deegan getting the job on that basis, is Mulholland not a Galway man? And there must be at least one decent club coach who is worthy of consideration.

Duine Eile

This talk about Frank Doherty goes on everytime Galway are on the lookout for a new manager. Yes he was in charge when Caltra won the all Ireland but the work was already done in my opinion, he was very lucky with the team he took over and he had an excellent backroom team who, according to local sources, got this team to the All Ireland, Frank only played a small role in their success.

INDIANA

I all fairness. Having been to Caltra and seen the size of the place- that all-ireland is up there with the very best of them. No foreign stars- a real rags to riches story. Some achievement in my view.

thebackbar

Quote from: INDIANA on August 14, 2009, 01:51:54 PM
Mick Deegan- took fingal ravens from inter to senior and to the all-ireland intermediate club final last year. Trained the dublin juniors to win the ll-ireland last year as well. No dis-respect to my clubmen- but he should have got the Dublin job IMO.

As for Galway- beyond Frank Doherty you're struggling fro native Galway men.

Why is Eoin Donnellon being ignored on this thread ? He has managed Salthill to an All Ireland, He also managed NUI,G in 07 , was a selector with Galway for a year. He's currently involved with Michael Breatnachs and St Brigids in Roscommon.

As far as I'm aware Frank Doherty was ran out of Clare. His background wasn't gaelic football as far as I'm aware either.

INDIANA

I did mention him - but I wasn't sure of his name. I was surprised he didn't get it the last time.

Zulu

He was also coach of the Clare footballers for the last 2 or 3 years wasn't he? Now i know they didn't go well but that wasn't his fault i can assure you.

QuoteWhy is Eoin Donnellon being ignored on this thread ?

The only reason I haven't mentioned him by name is that I know little about him but from what you say i would think he is also a better option.

thebackbar

Quote from: INDIANA on August 14, 2009, 02:30:45 PM
I did mention him - but I wasn't sure of his name. I was surprised he didn't get it the last time.

When Liam made it known that he was interested in the job two years ago no one had a chance.

Was there interviews two years ago ?  Possibly, but that was just to please the delegates. Originally the line from the football board was,

"there is a man who has a fierce interest in Galway football and the board thinks he should get the job"

Things will be a bit more formal this time around with John Joe and Seamus O'Grady at the helm of the football board now.

mckieran

QuoteI can't remember who lead them to their recent U21 AI but that guy (was it Forde?)

Yeah, It was Forde.

QuoteHe was also coach of the Clare footballers for the last 2 or 3 years wasn't he? Now i know they didn't go well but that wasn't his fault i can assure you.

He was very highly regarded down in Clare from what I have heard

QuoteI all fairness. Having been to Caltra and seen the size of the place- that all-ireland is up there with the very best of them. No foreign stars- a real rags to riches story. Some achievement in my view.
QuoteThis talk about Frank Doherty goes on everytime Galway are on the lookout for a new manager. Yes he was in charge when Caltra won the all Ireland but the work was already done in my opinion, he was very lucky with the team he took over

Caltra were already a really good side before Doherty came along. The side that won the All-Ireland were all brilliant underage players, they should have won more at underage level than they did. Feckin Corofin winning everything!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2009, 01:37:46 PM
I would suggest managing has less to with football and more to do with problem solving and organizing. If Gilroy was going in on his own I'd appreciate people having reservations but he had Whelan and he had IC playing experience and a powerful intellect, that's a pretty impressive package IMO. All Walsh has (that we know for sure) is the IC playing experience and 1 year with Sligo, now he may be an outstanding manager but at this time I don't see why so many are touting him as the Galway senior manager. Frank Doherty or Alan Mulholland are surely more worthy candidates, I can't rememeber who lead them to their recent U21 AI but that guy (was it Forde?) and some experienced club managers are also more worthy of consideration IMO.

IMO Sligo didn't do anything that they weren't capable of doing with almost anyone at the helm, their performance against Kerry was impressive I'll grant you but that seems to be the whole foundation on which Walsh's credentials are based. I simply think it would be prudent of the GCB to look for a man with a more impressive track record, and those guys are there in Galway were they there in Dublin? I can't think of any off hand.

Ive the exact same opinion on above but on the underperforming/overachieving argument probably a bit of both and I obviously missed the word maybe. From what ive heard about inside the camp our selectors are just as important to the set up as Walsh but him picking them to make up for his own limitations is astute IMO.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Donegal Danny

What about John Concannon as a young manager. He took Milltown from no where to the county final they didn't win but apparently a very astute man on the sideline.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Donegal Danny on August 14, 2009, 06:38:52 PM
What about John Concannon as a young manager. He took Milltown from no where to the county final they didn't win but apparently a very astute man on the sideline.

I'd rather Bunty Roche. The man is a nut case.

Barney

I don't know anything about Bunty Roche but from what I read here I'm liking his credentials

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Duine Eile on August 14, 2009, 07:46:37 PM
Quote from: Donegal Danny on August 14, 2009, 06:38:52 PM

I'd rather Bunty Roche. The man is a nut case.

I want the dream team.....Tommie Joyce & Scan in cahoots with Bunty as physical trainer!!! Ya know the football might not be great but the team bonding weekends would be savage!!!

No standout contenders really.....not alot of choices within the county. One fella thats not been mentioned at all is Paul McGettigan who was manager for the majority of Corofin's glory days. Bright, astute man (useful attributes when you're a barrister i suppose) and id say we could do worse. Suppose my preference at this stage would be Walsh but we'll see if he lets his name go forward.
Don't rate Doherty, and dont want any connections with prior regimes. What these lads need now is a frsh start, not recycling previous management teams in a different guise.