William Crawley's Imagining Ulster

Started by Applesisapples, March 04, 2015, 02:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

This should have been entitled a Protestant Programme for a Protestant people. I was looking forward to a programme that would explore the many conflicting layers of identity in the north. How disappointed was I in what was a shallow one sided homage to Ulster Scots Protestant identity. Any aspects of Irishness was glossed over and Ulster was only really founded about 400 years ago with the plantations. I won't be tuning in to episode two. Tom Elliott would have produced a more balanced view.

Feckitt

Yeah this was a bit strange.  It is a 3 part series, so I'm not sure if the next two weeks is a history of Ulster from the Anglican and Catholic viewpoints.  It was an extremely well made and interesting programme, but It was mis-represented at the start as a history of Ulster when really it was a history of Presbyterianism in Ulster or a History of the Scotch Irish.

I'm looking forward to next weeks show, but I really don't know what to expect.  I'm surprised that such a talented broadcaster as William Crawley made such a fundemental error in what was an otherwise brilliant programme.

general_lee

Watched it on iPlayer the other evening and was likewise mildly disappointed.

Crawley is a good journo but he did something quite similar with a documentary series on New Zealand and it was another homage to those of an Ulster Scots heritage. It's his background and something he's obviously big in to but I'd have thought he would have included a more comprehensive representation. He barely mentioned the plantation (if at all) and skipped the famine completely!

The Iceman

I knew the bold William at University. A very very intelligent man but someone who oftentimes crosses the line between journalism and trying to prove how smart he is.
He is a staunch Protestant (was for a time a Presbyterian minister) and carries some bigotry (at least he did when I knew him).
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

michaelg

Quote from: The Iceman on March 06, 2015, 08:53:18 PM
I knew the bold William at University. A very very intelligent man but someone who oftentimes crosses the line between journalism and trying to prove how smart he is.
He is a staunch Protestant (was for a time a Presbyterian minister) and carries some bigotry (at least he did when I knew him).
Most people would have stronger views when in their late teens / early teens, particularly I'm sure when at Queen's during 'The Troubles'.

Oraisteach

Just watched it on Youtube.  A fascinating insight into the Ulster-Scots mindset, a paean to Protestantism  with nary a Catholic to pee on since they are scarcely mentioned, except for O'Connell and briefly their part in WWI. Expect more of the same in future episodes.  But  worth a watch nonetheless.  Curious to see how he treats Civil Rights denied.

The Iceman

Quote from: michaelg on March 06, 2015, 10:00:57 PM
Most people would have stronger views when in their late teens / early teens, particularly I'm sure when at Queen's during 'The Troubles'.
This was 15 years ago when he was a chaplain at Jordanstown. Not a younger man. An ordained Presbyterian minister with a full time job supporting a parish and a university congregation (chaplaincy was mixed in UUJ in my day).
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

T Fearon

Did William not go out of his way recently to learn Irish to enable him to present an entire BBC radio programme in Irish? Hardly evidence of bigotry.

omagh_gael

Always found him to be very fair when presenting talk back on radio Ulster.

Applesisapples

Is it BBC policy to create a Northern Ireland identity. We had Martha Kearney trotting out the same oul line as Crawley about the North always being different because of its proximity to Scotland and everything else in the 26 is homogeneous? What crap.

theskull1

The North Coast (including Donegal) would have influenced and been influenced by the Western coastlines of Scotland. Lots of trading relationships I'm sure.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maguire01

Bigotry in what way?
He always seems fair as a broadcaster.

ziggysego

William always seems to be a fair minded person to me. Are you sure you're not mixing being a bigot with having a different view to your own?
Testing Accessibility

Applesisapples

Quote from: theskull1 on March 24, 2015, 11:37:04 AM
The North Coast (including Donegal) would have influenced and been influenced by the Western coastlines of Scotland. Lots of trading relationships I'm sure.
That is correct and that applies the whole way down the eastern sea board. The Irish would have held lands on the coast from Scotland to Wales. Scotch Gaelic was brought to the Highlands and Islands by Irish invaders. But there seems to be a desire to create a six county identity that is distinct. I am not denying the influence of Scots from Plantation times on any more than there were Anglo influences in the Pale. But the thrust seems to be that the 6 were always different, lazy analysis at best.

Oraisteach

Anyone know when episode 2 airs, or has it already done so?  I enjoyed the first show, but I'm eager to see how he handles the sensitive issue of Unionist dominion over Nationalists from Partition until the modern era.  I can't see him delving deeply into the ugliness of Scotch-Irish hegemony/discrimination, but I hope he doesn't gloss over it with a few quick sentences.  Since the show is a celebration of Ulster Scots identity, however,I don't expect any sharp censure.