The craziest substitutions ever made....

Started by theticklemister, May 07, 2015, 06:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 12, 2015, 01:10:18 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on May 11, 2015, 09:18:08 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 07, 2015, 07:24:40 PM
Paul McComiskey 2010 AIF
Aristo, do you think it was James, Tally or Mc Iver who made this decision ? My money is on Tally- all that year he seemed to suggest taking off the same players, regardless of how they were playing. Still, James should have over-ruled him- McComiskey was on fire and rule one of management is never take off a man on form.
Rule two is never take off your only left-footed free-taker when you are one down in a championship match and you've won a free 20 metres out on the right-hand side in the last minute. POR in Ballybofey 2006!

At the time I thought the indication and chat was more about who was put on rather than who was taken off. I was told by a man sitting next to a former down legend (3 All Ireland Medals) that the legend got to his feet and shouted "FFS that Jerome Johnston one again" (reference it was Jerome's unsanctioned decision to put fellow Kilcooite Lavery on).

Anyway it's all folklore now.

Remember the POR one too. Despert stuff.

Kinda like Down's invincibility in AI finals....or is that myth?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 12, 2015, 01:41:18 PM
Quote from: Clov on May 12, 2015, 11:46:39 AM
Seanie Johnson subbed off after less than a minute of that club hurling match.

Anyone know if he actually touched the sliotar at all in that game?

Don't think so, showed well though. Can we trace the start of the downfall of Kildare football to that game?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

blewuporstuffed

I suppose Canavan being taken off/put back on againt in the 03 final could be viewed as one of the craziest, even though it worked perfectly  ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Aristo 60

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 12, 2015, 03:36:05 PM
Paul McComiskey 2010 AIF
Aristo, do you think it was James, Tally or Mc Iver who made this decision ? My money is on Tally- all that year he seemed to suggest taking off the same players, regardless of how they were playing. Still, James should have over-ruled him- McComiskey was on fire and rule one of management is never take off a man on form.
Rule two is never take off your only left-footed free-taker when you are one down in a championship match and you've won a free 20 metres out on the right-hand side in the last minute. POR in Ballybofey 2006!

At the time I thought the indication and chat was more about who was put on rather than who was taken off. I was told by a man sitting next to a former down legend (3 All Ireland Medals) that the legend got to his feet and shouted "FFS that Jerome Johnston one again" (reference it was Jerome's unsanctioned decision to put fellow Kilcooite Lavery on).

At least Down stayed 'invincible' in the 5 years they won Sam.

Clown.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 12, 2015, 04:07:09 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 12, 2015, 03:36:05 PM
Paul McComiskey 2010 AIF

At least Down stayed 'invincible' in the 5 years they won Sam.

Clown.

Oh sorry I didnt realise yis lost that final cos ye were too honourable to win it considering Tyrone put yis out of Ulster

I always thought yis lost it because Cork were better .....hmmm...there ye go, ye learn something new everyday

George Foreman

Paul Murphy had a stormer of a first half for Derry against Dublin in the 2007 AI quarter-final, kicked three points from play. Taken off at half-time.

naka

Quote from: J70 on May 07, 2015, 09:09:36 PM
John Duffy came on fairly late for us against Armagh in Breffni in 1993 and rescued a draw with 2 last minute points.
the referee rescued you guys that day

it was a clear push on collie hanratty fro the equalising score

for me craziest decisions
mc geeney  being substituted by big joe against tyrone  2005