Student Days

Started by STREET FIGHTER, May 09, 2021, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

We were all on the rip one night that went on into the morning and ended up getting the early Seacat to Scotland for the day. Made it back for the Bot that night. Complete right off. Still not sure why we thought that was a good idea. Temps was the best eating house back in the day. The craic in the place was nearly better than the night out itself. I'm glad social media and Snapchat etc wasn't about in those days. Bebo was the only thing on the go really and that was enough.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2021, 10:54:13 PM
We were all on the rip one night that went on into the morning and ended up getting the early Seacat to Scotland for the day. Made it back for the Bot that night. Complete right off. Still not sure why we thought that was a good idea. Temps was the best eating house back in the day. The craic in the place was nearly better than the night out itself. I'm glad social media and Snapchat etc wasn't about in those days. Bebo was the only thing on the go really and that was enough.

Bebo is meant to be reactivating. A lot of us would face some awkward questions should it reactivate old profiles.

Slipping a new woman into the top 16 was a major scandal back in the day.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2021, 04:35:30 PM
Anyone remember the spotlight programme about the Holylands? Some craic explaining that to the parents. It was around the mid 2000s. Best days of my life and made some great friends along the way.

A young fella from our place was filmed sleeping in a phone box

tbrick18

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 10, 2021, 07:42:59 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 10, 2021, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: tiempo on May 10, 2021, 12:16:26 AM
Was about 2004, I'm a Celeb get me outta here must have been the first series or 2, pretty big, so the boffins at M club decided to do a promo "I'm a student get me outta here" with flights to oz as the first prize no less! f**king deadly incentive!

Except, they took the parallel to Ant and Dec v seriously, in order to win these flights and a few grand spending money you had to chunter down a pile of f**king live feed lol. You name it worms, dogs balls, hedgehog c**k, the full 57 varieties... this went on for 4 or 5 nights til some Ted was crowned champ and walked off with the golden ticket... it dawned on me from the outset imagine being the poor fecker to come second, all that grub for no end.

The contestants were near off their heads on drink too so I can only imagine the scenes later and the next morning when that came up around the sink and bog lol. And all that to hawk off as much Castlemaine for £1 a bottle as M club could shift. Textbook magnificence  ;D ;D

After my time that, but I remember the M-Club used to give you two free bottles of millar when you paid in.
Two of my mates hated the stuff, so I'd get 6 bottles on the way in. Pure pish, but when you're living on a budget it does the job.
It was a funny place, I was barred out of for about the first 6 months it was opened even though I'd never been in it. Sods law, first night I did get in a fight broke out behind where I was standing and I got threw out in the middle of it. Barred again. lol.

Howd did the original barring come about if you hadn't been in it lol??

I asked that question every night!

tyrone08

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 11, 2021, 06:41:41 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 10, 2021, 07:42:59 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 10, 2021, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: tiempo on May 10, 2021, 12:16:26 AM
Was about 2004, I'm a Celeb get me outta here must have been the first series or 2, pretty big, so the boffins at M club decided to do a promo "I'm a student get me outta here" with flights to oz as the first prize no less! f**king deadly incentive!

Except, they took the parallel to Ant and Dec v seriously, in order to win these flights and a few grand spending money you had to chunter down a pile of f**king live feed lol. You name it worms, dogs balls, hedgehog c**k, the full 57 varieties... this went on for 4 or 5 nights til some Ted was crowned champ and walked off with the golden ticket... it dawned on me from the outset imagine being the poor fecker to come second, all that grub for no end.

The contestants were near off their heads on drink too so I can only imagine the scenes later and the next morning when that came up around the sink and bog lol. And all that to hawk off as much Castlemaine for £1 a bottle as M club could shift. Textbook magnificence  ;D ;D

After my time that, but I remember the M-Club used to give you two free bottles of millar when you paid in.
Two of my mates hated the stuff, so I'd get 6 bottles on the way in. Pure pish, but when you're living on a budget it does the job.
It was a funny place, I was barred out of for about the first 6 months it was opened even though I'd never been in it. Sods law, first night I did get in a fight broke out behind where I was standing and I got threw out in the middle of it. Barred again. lol.

Howd did the original barring come about if you hadn't been in it lol??

I asked that question every night!

There were some dopey bouncers back in the day. I remember my mate getting turned away from the beach club for being too drunken which I thought was pretty amazing since he didn't even drink and showed the bouncers his car keys as he was driving. They somehow let me in even though I was steaming.

imtommygunn

That happened me in Laverys. Too much to drink the first night apparently even though I was only in the queue and I had had maybe 2 beers then that was me barred for what seemed like the whole of first year.

[Edit] Actually he checked my id then said I'd too much to drink. Always wondered was it a religious thing.

tyrone08

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 11, 2021, 07:31:27 PM
That happened me in Laverys. Too much to drink the first night apparently even though I was only in the queue and I had had maybe 2 beers then that was me barred for what seemed like the whole of first year.

[Edit] Actually he checked my id then said I'd too much to drink. Always wondered was it a religious thing.

Same thing happen to me in a different bar. I walked up to the bouncer sober as and he asked for my Id. I show it to him and he says naw not tonight. I walked away laughing at the set of him thinking he was some hardman

Tony Baloney

Sounds like Leo on the door. Ballbag. A mate and his girlfriend lifted weights at the PEC with him and he barred said mate for laughing that his girlfriend could lift more than him!

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 11, 2021, 10:44:45 PM

Sounds like Leo on the door. Ballbag. A mate and his girlfriend lifted weights at the PEC with him and he barred said mate for laughing that his girlfriend could lift more than him!

A good few of the doormen in Lavery's around the early 90's were Kaflicks.. I'd have known some of them..

Was out if Wildwood NJ in 94 I think and the bar out there that the paddies drank in was called the Harbour I think and the first night I walked into it the doorman was a lad McHugh from Ballycastle who also always was on the door of the Elms in Belfast on a thursday night FFS.

GetOverTheBar

Not much mention of the Orpheus, I caught the tail end of it, was a anything goes spot.

JohnDenver

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 12, 2021, 10:13:49 AM
Not much mention of the Orpheus, I caught the tail end of it, was a anything goes spot.

Think it re-opened as Karma for a few short years in the early 2000's from what I remember

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 12, 2021, 09:54:55 AM

A good few of the doormen in Lavery's around the early 90's were Kaflicks.. I'd have known some of them..

Was out if Wildwood NJ in 94 I think and the bar out there that the paddies drank in was called the Harbour I think and the first night I walked into it the doorman was a lad McHugh from Ballycastle who also always was on the door of the Elms in Belfast on a thursday night FFS.

I was in Wildwood the summer before you, 93, The harbour bar was a regular joint, we stayed in some dive, I suppose the students would have been used to it but I was only heading out for a month so I was on holidays while all my mates were 'working' .

The boardwalk had a couple of waterparks on it that we went to everyday, mate was working there so handy to get in, friends working the food joints was handy to!

Id friends that went every year for 4 summers, place coming down with Culchie's who headed up to Philly at weekends to play footie

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

I was there 96, 97 & 98, absoloute madness it was.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2021, 10:55:42 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 12, 2021, 09:54:55 AM

I was in Wildwood the summer before you, 93, The harbour bar was a regular joint, we stayed in some dive, I suppose the students would have been used to it but I was only heading out for a month so I was on holidays while all my mates were 'working' .

The boardwalk had a couple of waterparks on it that we went to everyday, mate was working there so handy to get in, friends working the food joints was handy to!

Id friends that went every year for 4 summers, place coming down with Culchie's who headed up to Philly at weekends to play footie

Friend of mine went out there round 96/97 and has stayed in Philly since!

ardtole

One of the lads who went with me is still in New York now.