Nolan Show

Started by Ulick, January 14, 2011, 10:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

jsus thats near enough 200pd for 800 days. Whodafuq has time to be at that. Harrassment/stalking youd imagine as well as what was being said in the tweets themselves

Saffrongael

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 02, 2021, 04:03:39 PM
jsus thats near enough 200pd for 800 days. Whodafuq has time to be at that. Harrassment/stalking youd imagine as well as what was being said in the tweets themselves

Don't think they were all for Nolan but it's heavy going regardless
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

balladmaker

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 02, 2021, 04:06:16 PM

Must have been someone with a lot of time on their hands ... maybe a politician so.

Main Street

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 02, 2021, 06:08:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2021, 09:28:23 AM
Steeky Nolan saying he's won a libel case off an anonymous twitter account, Pastor Jimberoo and taken him for a 5 figure sum.

I was following that whole tet-a-tet and TBH your man was only questioning the makeup of Nolans guests and why Allister and Bryson were on so much in relation to their voting base..

Unless he's said something else I think the hard facts were with him, so not sure on what grounds Nolan won out!!

What did come out of it is that the Nolan show and his breakfast radio show are deemed entertainment and don't need to follow any rules on balance of guests and the likes..

Time the SDLP stopped going on his show

There wasn't a libel case. What happened is that the matter was settled before it went to the courts, and whoever was behind the "Pastor Jimberoo" twitter handle has agreed to compensate a not insignificant amount of money.

From what I seen of the whole back 'n forth between them I was struggling to think of anything that was outright libellous, though NI libel law is still very much a mirror of the old English libel law where an awful lot of weight was placed on the person making the claim that it isn't libellous and that the person making the libel or slander claim doesn't have to show "damage". Maybe there was something else that I didn't see? Anyhoo, it comes across as an example within legal speak of this being a "Chilling Effect", or what those here resident in the Americas would call a "SLAPP" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_effect - basically using the threat of legal action to silence opponents.
This was much more than a SLAPP,  Nolan's lawyer negotiated a quick killing and a large sum of money. 
It is a mystery as to what was deemed libelous.

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 02, 2021, 06:08:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2021, 09:28:23 AM
Steeky Nolan saying he's won a libel case off an anonymous twitter account, Pastor Jimberoo and taken him for a 5 figure sum.

I was following that whole tet-a-tet and TBH your man was only questioning the makeup of Nolans guests and why Allister and Bryson were on so much in relation to their voting base..

Unless he's said something else I think the hard facts were with him, so not sure on what grounds Nolan won out!!

What did come out of it is that the Nolan show and his breakfast radio show are deemed entertainment and don't need to follow any rules on balance of guests and the likes..

Time the SDLP stopped going on his show

There wasn't a libel case. What happened is that the matter was settled before it went to the courts, and whoever was behind the "Pastor Jimberoo" twitter handle has agreed to compensate a not insignificant amount of money.

From what I seen of the whole back 'n forth between them I was struggling to think of anything that was outright libellous, though NI libel law is still very much a mirror of the old English libel law where an awful lot of weight was placed on the person making the claim that it isn't libellous and that the person making the libel or slander claim doesn't have to show "damage". Maybe there was something else that I didn't see? Anyhoo, it comes across as an example within legal speak of this being a "Chilling Effect", or what those here resident in the Americas would call a "SLAPP" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_effect - basically using the threat of legal action to silence opponents.

The threshold for libel in Norn Iron much lower than GB it seems

Eamonnca1

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 02, 2021, 01:57:02 PM
And a bill of 100k plus for bitta online slabberin

I was gona call him a fat no eared basturt but i dont think ill bother now

It can't be libel if it's true.

Eamonnca1

Maybe it was Donald Trump. He had plenty of time for tweeting when he was president, probably because he watched so much TV.

Eire90

imagine being wealthy and spending your time obsessing over nolan

Silver hill

Quote from: Eire90 on July 03, 2021, 01:23:17 AM

What's wealth got to do with it?
Even if you hadn't a pot to piss in, obsessing over Nolan would still be strange.

Armamike

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 02, 2021, 04:06:16 PM

Might teach them a lesson to go out and get a life.
That's just, like your opinion man.

trailer

There's another guy McKane has an unreal obsession with him and a few other Journos. Someone should have a quiet word with him and tell him to let it go.

Orior

Quote from: trailer on July 03, 2021, 02:25:58 PM
There's another guy McKane has an unreal obsession with him and a few other Journos. Someone should have a quiet word with him and tell him to let it go.

McKane only recently took up the baton. I believe his background was marketing and he is retired. To be fair, he has pointed out a number of home truths.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

weareros

Quote from: trailer on July 03, 2021, 02:25:58 PM

The original clip is worth a listen to. Does Nolan still holiday in West - seems to love Galway. Must be the Supermacs.
https://www.reddit.com/r/northernireland/comments/ml9leu/nolan_cuts_off_tim_for_questioning_the_amount_of/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Eire90

If you  dislike nolan so much ignore and stop listening to him. You get these people moaning about nolan but still listen to his show every day i find his show boring anyway i stopped listing to him  same with talkback which is just another nolan show same people same topics all the time.

Eire90

Quote from: Silver hill on July 03, 2021, 09:30:14 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 03, 2021, 01:23:17 AM

What's wealth got to do with it?
Even if you hadn't a pot to piss in, obsessing over Nolan would still be strange.

exactly but it shows money does not make you smart or free from being obsessive