Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 14, 2011, 08:51:10 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on January 05, 2011, 01:09:10 AM
No surprise over the holidays I've read a fare few books...

Worth Dying For - Lee Child... The latest installment of the Jack Reacher series - fecking excellent, have been looking forward to it for a good while and it didn't disappoint.  Literally couldn't put in down, probably read it in 4 or 5 sittings

Deliver Us From Evil - David Baldacci... follow up to The Whole Truth, another cracker - in fairness Baldacci is one of the best around IMHO, the main character Shaw is another cool mo-fo a lá Reacher above

Read one of the latest Alex Cross books from James Patterson, I don't find them near as good as I used to, seem to have a bit of "fiction writing by numbers" about it...

Also one of those First Murders Club or something like it (I was stuck for something to do) think it was called 8th Confession... Written by Patterson and some chick - really hate those "Big name writer coauthoring a book with a lesser light" because it feels like the "big name author" really had fook all to do with it
James Patterson has quit trying. He seems to have a stable of co-writers just churning out book after book. Just a money making machine.

Bigtime re James Patterson. Even so, the co authored ones are still readable.

Celt Man, re the Lee Child books, would you have to read them in order?

Have finished all the Simon Kernick books (the wife kept buying)..Im a sucker for a fast passed book. Enjoyed them alot (though he's not too keen on South Armagh)

Celt_Man

Quote from: J OGorman on March 03, 2011, 03:53:39 PM
Bigtime re James Patterson. Even so, the co authored ones are still readable.

Celt Man, re the Lee Child books, would you have to read them in order?

Have finished all the Simon Kernick books (the wife kept buying)..Im a sucker for a fast passed book. Enjoyed them alot (though he's not too keen on South Armagh)

Ahh the newer Patterson books are just about readable and then instantly forgettable though

No I haven't read them in order apart from the last two in the series.  Every now and again you would get a wee bit of information that might have happened in another book but they are grand as stand alone books - definitely don't need to read them in sequence.  Having said all that, if you get a chance to do that I would
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Tony Baloney

For those who liked Stieg Larsson, the Norwegian author Jo Nesbo's books aren't bad. I think there about 6 of them so far and I'm into the 4th one now.

Estimator

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 03, 2011, 06:21:40 PM
For those who liked Stieg Larsson, the Norwegian author Jo Nesbo's books aren't bad. I think there about 6 of them so far and I'm into the 4th one now.

Reading them as well. I made the mistake of reading The Snowman first. It's probably a good idea to read these booms in order, starting with The Redbreast.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Estimator on March 03, 2011, 08:16:44 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 03, 2011, 06:21:40 PM

Reading them as well. I made the mistake of reading The Snowman first. It's probably a good idea to read these booms in order, starting with The Redbreast.
I got The Redbreast for Christmas and have been reading them back to back since although I've ODd a bit and have slowed up on The Redeemer. As Amazon was tardy with their deliveries I read The Devil Star and Nemesis the wrong way round.

Harold Disgracey

What's not to love about a leading character called Harry Hole. Halfway throughout the Redeemer at the moment. Just after buying The Leopard, already have the Snowman in the house. These should keep me going until the new Boris Akunin & Christopher Brookmyre books come out.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 04, 2011, 02:01:52 PM
What's not to love about a leading character called Harry Hole. Halfway throughout the Redeemer at the moment. Just after buying The Leopard, already have the Snowman in the house. These should keep me going until the new Boris Akunin & Christopher Brookmyre books come out.

I dunno Harold, the (Nesbo) books all start really well, are beautifully plotted for the first two-thirds and then end badly/fizzle out.

QuoteBoris Akunin

I loved the Fandorin books until 'She Lover of Death' which was dire - I can't see how 'He Lover of Death' will be an improvement either, but will persevere. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Harold Disgracey

I thought He Lover of Death was much better than She Lover of Death, the weakest Fandorin IMHO. He new one, The Diamond Chariot is out in September and apparently covers the period Fandorin was in Japan & his meeting with Masa.

You're probably right about the Nesbo books, but I find them distracting enough to want to finish the series.

Billys Boots

Ah don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Nesbo books and will probably read The Leopard next - I enjoy them when I'm reading but always feel a bit cheated when I'm finished.

Glad to hear that about Fandorin, looking forward to 'He Lover of Death' now, and his adventures in Japan.

Have you read the Montalbano series, set in Sicily? (Andrea Camillero) - I think you'd enjoy.

Harold Disgracey

Yes Billy have read most of the Montalbano books, enjoyed everyone so far.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 04, 2011, 03:21:43 PM
Yes Billy have read most of the Montalbano books, enjoyed everyone so far.

I guess it's time to point you towards Montalban so - Manuel Vasquez Montalban (the muse for Camillero) wrote Spanish thrillers in the 1970s; the 'hero' was Pepe Carvalho.  Good gritty stuff, in the spirit of film noir, with Catalan gastronomic delights (instead of Sicilian) and lots of politics. 

Another good Spanish writer is Eugenio Fuentes; his 'hero' is Ricardo Cupido, a cycling (think Séan Kelly, rather than David Norris) private detective. 

Harold Disgracey

I'll look out for Montalban, I was reading a bit about him in the Observer a few weeks ago in a piece about European crime fiction.

lurganblue

Almost finished a book at the min called, torso in the canal. It's  book detailing the scissor sister killing a few years ago. Horrific but interesting reading. Can't put it down

The Iceman

Finished that John Donoghue series - really enjoyed them. Forth book due out this summer and looking forward to it.

Anyone ever read Ursula LeGuin and the Earthsea books? I picked them up recently and got through all five books. Fantastic. Very light summer reading.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ziggy90

Just started the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly, has anyone on here read them?  I don't know who recommended Sebastian Barry's A Long Long Way but I have just finished it, an excellent read. Any more recommendations for books about this subject, it seems it's a period in history that not very much has been written about. 
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered