Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Just listenin to Don Johnston above saying he couldnt put "American Psycho" down it was that good.

Anyone else start a book and read it in one go...maybe some of yiz do it regularly... the only one I did it with was "The Road"....although listening to the reviews I'd say Christy O'Connor's "The Club" could be the next one.
The Aristocrat Years

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 08, 2010, 10:35:54 PM
Just listenin to Don Johnston above saying he couldnt put "American Psycho" down it was that good.

Anyone else start a book and read it in one go...maybe some of yiz do it regularly... the only one I did it with was "The Road"....although listening to the reviews I'd say Christy O'Connor's "The Club" could be the next one.

I need to drink in different bars.
MWWSI 2017

Canalman

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 08, 2010, 10:35:54 PM

Read The Godfather in the one go one Sunday morning to night. A right riveting read and only imo The Day of the Jackal and The Name of the Rose come close to it as the best novel I have ever read.

Recently read Crashed and Byrned as a result of a recommendation on this forum. A rollicking autobiography.............. well worth a read imo. The guy doesn't pull any punches.

Don Johnson

Read The Godfather one year abroad in about three days lying up at the pool.

A great book.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: mc_grens on November 25, 2010, 08:49:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 25, 2010, 08:46:30 PM
Quote from: cavan4sam on November 25, 2010, 06:10:20 PM
Hi lads, haven't read through the previous 30 pages but was just wondering if anyone could recommend some good sports autobiographies to me??

I appreciate any responses.

Assuming you haven't read them:

Paul McGraths's is a must read.
Tony Adam's would be the best of it's type but for his annoying ego. Still a good book about a serious alcoholic who was winning the League and Captaining his country all at the same time.
Tony Cascarino's is different and well worth reading.

Read John McEnroe and while it was interesting he just annoyed me.

Muhammad Ali- His Life and Times by Thomas Hauser

Not an Autobiography as such, but as close as your likely to get as it is one hundred percent authorised by Ali, meaning Hauser got unlimited access to the entire inner circle.
Great sports books, not necessarily autobiographies

• The Damned United by David Peace. Brian Clough's short reign at Leeds
    Kings Of September by Michael Foley. Account of the Offaly/Kerry AI Final
    Booked by Tom Humphries. Collection of his Irish Times articles
    Its not about the bike by Lance Armstrong.
    Preferred Lies by Andrew Greig. Read this if you play golf - brilliant book
    Bounce by Matthew Syed. Not completely about Sport, but a brilliant insight into what makes a winner

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Don Johnson on December 08, 2010, 10:12:07 PM
Started 'American Psycho' at the weekend, about a third through it already. Can't put it down at night.

I have seen the film first but the detail in the book (as always with films adapted from books) is brilliant.

The dark humour in the book is brilliant.

Have you read 'Filth' by Irvine Welsh? Similar in some ways ..

Don Johnson

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on December 09, 2010, 11:48:43 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on December 08, 2010, 10:12:07 PM
Started 'American Psycho' at the weekend, about a third through it already. Can't put it down at night.

I have seen the film first but the detail in the book (as always with films adapted from books) is brilliant.

The dark humour in the book is brilliant.

Have you read 'Filth' by Irvine Welsh? Similar in some ways ..

Have a few Irvine Welsh books sitting I bought a few months ago but then started to read something else and they went on the back burner. Will get into them after. I don't like the Scottish dialogue though, hard to understand.

JimStynes

My da was telling me tonight there that there is a book knocking about from years ago about Mickey Culbert and Dermot Earley Snr. Something about how their lives started similar but followed very different paths after under 21. Anyone know the name of it?

stephenite

Quote from: JimStynes on December 13, 2010, 10:44:08 PM
My da was telling me tonight there that there is a book knocking about from years ago about Mickey Culbert and Dermot Earley Snr. Something about how their lives started similar but followed very different paths after under 21. Anyone know the name of it?

Tom Humphries wrote a book called Green Fields, the diverging paths of Culbert and Earley from their meeting in an U-21 final was a very long chapter in that book. Maybe that's what he's on about?

Harold Disgracey

It's Chapter 5 of the Tom Humphries book "Green Fields: Gaelic Sport in Ireland". I picked it up in Easons for £1 a couple of years ago.

stephenite

It's a must read for any fan of Gaelic Games

JimStynes

Aye that must be the one he is on about. It is lying around the house somewhere, i must get a read at it.

The Iceman

Ghosts of Belfast

Great book for anyone from Armagh or who ever lived about Belfast. Great fiction thriller about the IRA
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

Quote from: The Iceman on December 16, 2010, 04:05:13 PM
Ghosts of Belfast

Great book for anyone from Armagh or who ever lived about Belfast. Great fiction thriller about the IRA

Just found out the author used to run the Music Shop down in dobbin lane years ago
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on December 16, 2010, 04:05:13 PM
Ghosts of Belfast

It's called The Twelve over here. He has another one called Collusion - not sure if title changed for US market. He's very good.