Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4sam

Hi lads, haven't read through the previous 30 pages but was just wondering if anyone could recommend some good sports autobiographies to me??

I appreciate any responses.

CiKe

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 25, 2010, 12:27:30 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 25, 2010, 12:18:23 PM
I've just read Alone In Berlin by Hans Fallada. We all know about the Nazi regime and the detail of what went on from reading the history and all of the non-fictional accounts.  But this work of fiction (though based on a true story) brought me to a new level of understanding of the chilling evil of that society and how it was ruled by fear and treachery. But mostly fear.

Try Berlin Noir and the follow-ons - good depiction of Germany leading up to and after the war, in the style of a Sam Spade detective novel. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Violets-Criminal-Requiem-Penguin-Mystery/dp/0140231706/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290687918&sr=1-1

Hardy fully agree, read it on holiday a couple months ago and actually also mentioned it on here. Could not put it down, thought it was absolutely gripping. Definitely made me think about things in a different light.

CiKe

Quote from: CiKe on November 25, 2010, 08:33:49 PM
I've just read Alone In Berlin by Hans Fallada. We all know about the Nazi regime and the detail of what went on from reading the history and all of the non-fictional accounts.  But this work of fiction (though based on a true story) brought me to a new level of understanding of the chilling evil of that society and how it was ruled by fear and treachery. But mostly fear.

Try Berlin Noir and the follow-ons - good depiction of Germany leading up to and after the war, in the style of a Sam Spade detective novel. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Violets-Criminal-Requiem-Penguin-Mystery/dp/0140231706/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290687918&sr=1-1

Hardy fully agree, read it on holiday a couple months ago and actually also mentioned it on here. Could not put it down, thought it was absolutely gripping. Definitely made me think about things in a different light.

Well not an auto-biograhhy but Christian Giudice's Hands of Stone: The Life and Legend of Roberto Duran is a good read

muppet

Quote from: cavan4sam on November 25, 2010, 06:10:20 PM
Hi lads, haven't read through the previous 30 pages but was just wondering if anyone could recommend some good sports autobiographies to me??

Assuming you haven't read them:

Paul McGraths's is a must read.
Tony Adam's would be the best of it's type but for his annoying ego. Still a good book about a serious alcoholic who was winning the League and Captaining his country all at the same time.
Tony Cascarino's is different and well worth reading.

Read John McEnroe and while it was interesting he just annoyed me.

MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Finished reading a book by Tim Brannigan, the 'black IRA man' from Belfast. Dunno what to think of him. His life story is an unusual one although being made an OC whilst inside (for allowing weapons to be stored in a car) seemed a bit mad to me.

A decent 2-night read all the same.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mc_grens

Quote from: muppet on November 25, 2010, 08:46:30 PM
Quote from: cavan4sam on November 25, 2010, 06:10:20 PM

Assuming you haven't read them:

Paul McGraths's is a must read.
Tony Adam's would be the best of it's type but for his annoying ego. Still a good book about a serious alcoholic who was winning the League and Captaining his country all at the same time.

Read John McEnroe and while it was interesting he just annoyed me.

Muhammad Ali- His Life and Times by Thomas Hauser

Not an Autobiography as such, but as close as your likely to get as it is one hundred percent authorised by Ali, meaning Hauser got unlimited access to the entire inner circle.

ONeill

Mad book. Voices in his head telling him he's shite and him out riding half of France.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on November 25, 2010, 08:52:02 PM

Mad book. Voices in his head telling him he's shite and him out riding half of France.

They were right.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

The biography on Garrincha is a brilliant read.

ziggysego

I've got a few books here, but don't know which to start.

The Writer's Tale - Russell T. Davis
The Preacher - Garth Ennis
I Can Do it - Louise L. Hay
Testing Accessibility

Norf Tyrone

Anyone hear of a book called, 'the biggest bleeding hearts racket in the world' or something to that affect. It was about a lotto scam in Ireland in the 20th century. Probably old news but I have to be honest and say I hadn't heard of it!

They were talking to the author on Today FM a month or so back and it sounded really interesting. Still haven't sat down to read it yet.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

mc_grens

Same as Ziggy...

I've got Shantaram, The Shadow Of The Wind, and The Blind Assasin... Which should I read next, I'm just about to finish The Name Of The Rose.

Billys Boots

Quote from: CiKe on November 25, 2010, 08:33:49 PM

Hardy/CiKe, there's a series set in Stalinist Russia that's even bleaker (but extraordinarily gripping) by Tom Rob Smith - the first one is called Child 44 and the second is called The Secret Speech.  I'd recommend both for the winter evenings, links below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Speech-Tom-Rob-Smith/dp/1847391605/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290760073&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Child-44-Tom-Rob-Smith/dp/1847391591/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290760073&sr=1-3
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

flantheman82

The new St.Galls book was launched tonight in the clubrooms.
Entitled 'FROM CLONARD TO CROKE', it follows the history of the club from it's formation in the Clonard area of Belfast in 1910 to the pinnacle of it's sporting history when the footballers were crowned AI club champions on St.Patricks day 2010.
Just got my copy and just sitting down to read it.

Don Johnson

Started 'American Psycho' at the weekend, about a third through it already. Can't put it down at night.

I have seen the film first but the detail in the book (as always with films adapted from books) is brilliant.

The dark humour in the book is brilliant.