Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Bought Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman today for E1 in a St.VdeP. shop. Will start it shortly.

Recently read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not too impressed . Very average and probably a beter film. Can see how the Oprahistas loved it as the male of the species isn't really portrayed favourably.

Tyrones own

Trickle up Poverty  :'(
-Michael Savage
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Hardy

Quote from: Canalman on November 09, 2010, 05:46:29 PM
Bought Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman today for E1 in a St.VdeP. shop. Will start it shortly.

Drop what you're reading and start it now. It'd be my idea of the greatest comic novel ever written if I could make up my mind whether it's better that At Swim-Two-Birds or not.

Tubberman

Quote from: Zapatista on November 10, 2010, 02:18:02 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 09, 2010, 05:50:04 PM
Drop what you're reading and start it now. It'd be my idea of the greatest comic novel ever written if I could make up my mind whether it's better that At Swim-Two-Birds or not.

I picked up At Swim Two Boys on the hop a few years ago. Didn't finish it, it took me by surprise :o

'At Swim Two Birds' you mean? I read it last year. Brilliant but unlike anything I had read before, so I think I need to read it a second time to really appreciate it!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on November 09, 2010, 05:50:04 PM

Funniest and second-funniest books I've ever read.  I've heard 'At Swim Two Birds' described as a book about a man writing a book about a man writing two books.  The piss-taking of Irish Mythology (ancient and recent) is without parallel, on my planet anyway.  'The Third Policeman' is the first occasion on which the Atomic Theory of Bicycles is postulated. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tubberman

Haven't read through this thread so it's probably been mentioned, but the best book I've read in the last year is Shantaram.
Absolutely loved it - couldn't put it down. Was reading it in Thailand and Australia so it will always have great memories anyway, but the book itself is brilliant

After I had finished that, I read The Satanic Verses.
I had been expecting some very serious, heavy discussion on Islam!
Completely different to what I was expecting. Very, very funny book, completely mental, but very enjoyable read.

Tubberman

Quote from: Zapatista on November 10, 2010, 02:27:01 PM
Quote'At Swim Two Birds' you mean

http://www.iol.ie/~atswim/atswim/home/1swim.html

Oh, never heard of that one... You said you didn't finish it - why was that? Is it worth giving it a go?

CiKe

Finished Not Untrue and Not Unkind by Ed O'Donoghue recently, fictional story of a journalist's life in African from about '95 onwards. Was long listed for the booker in 2009. Thoroughly enjoyable. Started The Grapes of Wrath as never read it before, enjoyable enough so far. Next up is then An Unsung Hero about Tom Crean. Anyone read it?

omagh_gael

Just after picking up Paul Daly's book Creating Ireland for three pound in Heatons. Anyone read it? If so was if a good read?

A bit ironic that one of the most significant events in the Republics history is occuring right now, I wonder how many books will be in their embryonic stage at this very minute?

Aerlik

Reading Michael Kelly's "Martyr's Day", about his experiences during the first Gulf War.  Interesting perspective.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

gallsman

Anyone read The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb?

Started it there last week and it's incredible.

saffron sam2

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 24, 2010, 07:34:44 PM
Just after picking up Paul Daly's book Creating Ireland for three pound in Heatons. Anyone read it? If so was if a good read?

A bit ironic that one of the most significant events in the Republics history is occuring right now, I wonder how many books will be in their embryonic stage at this very minute?

Whoever created Ireland for three pound got ripped off.

I know what you meant.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hardy

I've just read Alone In Berlin by Hans Fallada. We all know about the Nazi regime and the detail of what went on from reading the history and all of the non-fictional accounts.  But this work of fiction (though based on a true story) brought me to a new level of understanding of the chilling evil of that society and how it was ruled by fear and treachery. But mostly fear.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on November 25, 2010, 12:18:23 PM
I've just read Alone In Berlin by Hans Fallada. We all know about the Nazi regime and the detail of what went on from reading the history and all of the non-fictional accounts.  But this work of fiction (though based on a true story) brought me to a new level of understanding of the chilling evil of that society and how it was ruled by fear and treachery. But mostly fear.

Try Berlin Noir and the follow-ons - good depiction of Germany leading up to and after the war, in the style of a Sam Spade detective novel. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Violets-Criminal-Requiem-Penguin-Mystery/dp/0140231706/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290687918&sr=1-1
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Thanks Billy - didn't know about those.