Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Read Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada while on holiday recently. Is based on the true story of one man's resistance in war time Berlin after the loss of his son. Best book I've read in quite some time I think, I was glued to it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: CiKe on September 23, 2010, 10:51:19 PM
Read Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada while on holiday recently. Is based on the true story of one man's resistance in war time Berlin after the loss of his son. Best book I've read in quite some time I think, I was glued to it.
Happens ross4life all the time.

mc_grens

I'm currently re-reading "Friday Night Lights".

It's the best sport book I've ever read.

bcarrier

The girl with trilogy was a good read ...pity the poor fecker never lived to see the benefits of his sales . Some kind of dispute between family and his unmarried partner about it too.

Read "The Troubles" by JG Farrell ( winner of the lost booker prize ) lately . I didnt get it .

" One Day " is a good holiday read ( especially for the other half).

Also read a couple of Jonathon Coe books lately ...." The Rotters Club" has its moments of excellence recalling 70s/80s and some good characters but might be a bit too " English" for most tastes.

"The Secret River" by Kate Grenville is an excellent book  .   

Tyrones own

Crimes Against Liberty- by David Limbaugh
Couldn't put it down  :o
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ONeill

Arrived today - 'Lough Neagh Places - Their Names and Origins'. Totally fascinating and well sourced (for those who'd be interested).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2010, 08:06:34 PM
Arrived today - 'Lough Neagh Places - Their Names and Origins'. Totally fascinating and well sourced (for those who'd be interested).
Maybe you could start a thread...

Puckoon

I read  this book. The origin of how the bottom of Lough Neagh got its name blew me away. The top and the middle were pretty self explanatory after that though.

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 24, 2010, 05:50:28 PM
Crimes Against Liberty- by David Limbaugh
Couldn't put it down  :o

Hope you didn't get the hardback copy :D

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Tyrones own

Of course and a signed copy at that, sure nothing but the best comes into our house...and anyway paper backs are for girls  8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 24, 2010, 09:18:38 PM
Maybe you could start a thread...

I was rightly and pleasantly surprised at the detail given to every townland within a 10-mile touching distance of the lough. I've only read from Ardboe down to Maghery and Ballinderry (Antrim) up to Crumlin and already I've a mountain of places I want to explore or didn't know about.

drici

Eel enjoy reading that.

ONeill

Big debate over Derrytresk. Treasc. Brewer's grain as the locals want or 'refuse, leaves, lees, hogwash' as is the editor's wont?

ONeill

Early Irish tresc?

Aerlik

I've started reading "The Last of the lunatics" a memoir of John Cawte, a psychiatric doctor in the last asylum in Adelaide in the 1950s.  Compelling stuff and an interesting exposure to the methods and devices used before the use of neuroleptics and other modern drugs.  Among the many interesting lines is this one which could really apply to anyone;

"...it is tempting to watch for general paralysis of the insane in the most unlikely places if one detects illusions of grandeur".
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!