Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liihb

Not yet, got it for Christmas, but haven't started it, looks pretty good tho.....I got a kindle as well, so I've been obsessed with that toy for the last few weeks!
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Celt_Man

Just after reading The Road... holy jaysus it was an exprience!  Very hard to put down and some of the imagery in it would turn your stomach.  But a serious read none the less
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Zapatista

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 26, 2009, 11:21:59 PM
Took me a while but I'm slap bang in the middle of reading Star of the Sea . This is my first departure from Joe O'Connor's "Irish Male Abroad" type stuff.

Should have done it earlier...magnificent stuff.....

Star of the Sea is brilliant!!

Just finished the first book in the 'Warrior of Rome' trilogy. I love that ancient warfare stuff.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Zapatista on March 02, 2010, 03:01:40 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 26, 2009, 11:21:59 PM
Took me a while but I'm slap bang in the middle of reading Star of the Sea . This is my first departure from Joe O'Connor's "Irish Male Abroad" type stuff.

Should have done it earlier...magnificent stuff.....

Star of the Sea is brilliant!!

Just finished the first book in the 'Warrior of Rome' trilogy. I love that ancient warfare stuff.

Yes, read 'Star of the Sea' last week - really interesting, well-researched and well-written. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I'm reading D-Day by Stephen E Ambrose (the guy that wrote Band of Brothers). It's very interesting stuff, of course a heavy dose of the 'magnificent American fighting spirit', but well written and put together. It's amazing how chaotic the whole thing was in Normandy, and there a serious case of 'what if'. Rommel and Hitler fecked up a good chance to throw the Allies back into the seas. As one of the GIs said, 'They could have swept us into the sea with a broom.'

Zapatista

Just read 'of mice and men' there. Seen it plugged on Lost TV show and thought I'd give it a go. While the show give it away I still really enjoyed it. Great wee novel :)

maggie

'Angels in my hair'- the author is Lorna Byrne (an irish mystic who sees angels, its based on her life story)
Would love to know has anyone else read it and what they made of it.

I would love to go and visit her to hear what she would tell me.

Canalman

Started reading Day of the Jackal (yet again). If there has been a better thriller written I have yet to read it.
Recently read a book about Summits (Yalta, Vienna, Moscow, Camp David etc). Not a bad read though a bit heavy at times.................. think it was a tie in to a tv series.

maggie

It is World Book Day today.
I know this because i am Dorothy for the day. Red shoes and all.

The Subbie

Quote from: Canalman on March 04, 2010, 12:40:49 PM
Started reading Day of the Jackal (yet again). If there has been a better thriller written I have yet to read it.
Recently read a book about Summits (Yalta, Vienna, Moscow, Camp David etc). Not a bad read though a bit heavy at times.................. think it was a tie in to a tv series.

Superb book imho, in light of recent events i have ordered "by way of deception:the making and unmasking of a mossad officer" can't wait to get me hands on it.

Aerlik

I'm halfway through "Four quarters of Light" by Brian Keenan.  A very enjoyable of his physical and emotional journey through Alaska, in some ways complementing (for want of a better word)his incarceration in Lebanon.

I finished Booking Passage by Thomas Lynch, which has many traits that all exiles and non-first generation Irish can empathise with.  If you're from east Clare, it is for you.

Also planned for reading this year are:
Microsoft, China and Bill Gates' Plan to win the road ahead;
Peace Kills ;
Under the Banner of heaven;
Martyrs' Day;
Where Heaven and Earth meet;
The last of the lunatics;
Cape Breton Road.

If anyone has read any of these, I'd welcome your comments.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Celt_Man

Just after reading "Guerilla Days in Ireland" by Tom Barry an absolute cracker of a book from start to finish.  A very compelling read which gave a very throughout look at the campaign in West Cork during the War of Independence.  It goes into detail the events at Kilmichael and Crossbarry as well as the training, planning and life of the Flying Columns.

Barry waited until 25 years after the end of the civil war so as not be fan any flames.  It strikes me as a open and honest account and Barry talks about the struggle at large and the unit involved rather than a personal account.  If one didn't know, it would be hard to discover that he was the commander of the West Cork Brigade Flying Column.

Couldn't recommend it high enough.

Just started Ernie O'Malley's book "On another Man's Wound" - Gonna lift Tim Pat Coogan's book on Collins too - always wanted to read it but never did.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

magickingdom

reading 'Nine Lives' by David Courtney a helicopter pilot in the irish air corp., doing a lot of search and rescue work. super book, well written by a guy who takes time to appreciate where he is. he grew up in tullamore of c of i stock, his dad having served in the british army in world war 2. some great stories there of president robinson visiting the aran islands and a trip with charlie to his blasket island home. the book would make you proud to be irish with guys like him around

heres a review by kevin myres (cant believe i agree with him!)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/birdseye-view-of-a-rescuer-who-flew-in-the-face-of-fear-1482558.html

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Zapatista on March 04, 2010, 01:03:02 AM
Just read 'of mice and men' there. Seen it plugged on Lost TV show and thought I'd give it a go. While the show give it away I still really enjoyed it. Great wee novel :)

We did that for our Junior Cert English. I have to say I enjoyed that book.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tbrick18

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 02, 2010, 01:58:37 PM
Just after reading The Road... holy jaysus it was an exprience!  Very hard to put down and some of the imagery in it would turn your stomach.  But a serious read none the less

It's a grim read alright and compelling to the end. Leaves you stunned at the end.
Recently read Blacklands by Belinda Bauer...really good read too. Its about a cub who starts writing to a child serial killer to try to find out where he buried his dead child uncle. I good read.