Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: The Iceman on November 20, 2009, 03:26:50 PM
Good call O'Neill. I just found it there on a site I use to track books to read and that I have read etc. (www.goodreads.com) It has gotten rave reviews already. 
If you liked them you might like "Ireland" or "tipperary" by Frank Delaney

Seems like a cracker site there iceman

Im currently reading a book about the battle for Stalingrad. f**k Stalin was a bad bastard, didnt give a shit about how many millions of his people died.

Zapatista

Reading 'I am Ozzy' at the minute. Absolutely loving it. I wouldn't be a fan of Black Sabbath or Ozzy but the book is excellent so far.

5 Sams

Quote from: Aerlik on November 21, 2009, 08:23:59 AM
Can anyone tell me the full name of a book i read in school about life on the Blaskets in the early years of the last century...20 years a growing...or something like that?  Was written by Maurice o'Sullivan?  I'd love to read it again.  Thanks.

I'm reading "spies among us" by Ira Winkler.  Great stuff.  I've also got "turlough" on the go (albeit slowly) by Brian Keenan.

"Fiche bliain ag Fas" is the book you're talking about Aerlik.....its a great book...if you like it you will love An tOileanach by  Tomás Ó Criomhthain...are you reading it in Irish or Bearla?

BTW There another one called Peig..my mates in the Free State arent that fond of it ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

J70

Any soccer fans could do worse than read "Soccernomics: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey--and Even Iraq--Are Destined to Become the Kings of the Worlds Most Popular Sport" by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski.

A lot of statistics and so on, but very, very interesting.

The chapter on penalty kicks and game theory alone is worth getting the book for, particularly for the account of Chelsea's tactics in this regard against Van Der Sar in the 2008 Champions League final. It would have worked for Chelsea too, only for Terry hit the post, after which United and Van Der Sar figured out what they were doing! Van Der Sar signalled to Anelka that he knew where he was going to hit it, Anelka cracked, and United won!

Lots of other decent stuff too, such as an analysis showing that England perform more or less exactly as would be expected given their population, economic status, soccer tradition and so on (apparently these are all powerful predictors of international soccer performance), giving lie to the fact that they always think they should be doing better! And, according to their analysis, we ourselves have been, on average, playing above expectations for the past 25 years.

The Iceman

Quote from: JimStynes on November 21, 2009, 08:43:46 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on November 20, 2009, 03:26:50 PM
Good call O'Neill. I just found it there on a site I use to track books to read and that I have read etc. (www.goodreads.com) It has gotten rave reviews already. 
If you liked them you might like "Ireland" or "tipperary" by Frank Delaney

Seems like a cracker site there iceman

Im currently reading a book about the battle for Stalingrad. f**k Stalin was a bad b**tard, didnt give a shit about how many millions of his people died.

Jim its a great site for keeping track of your own books and your mates.  I never remember authors or books so this was perfect for me to be able to tag a book that was recommended to me.  Also a great spot to send the relatives to when they are considering Christmas or Birthdays!! ;)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

magickingdom

Can anyone tell me the full name of a book i read in school about life on the Blaskets in the early years of the last century...20 years a growing...or something like that?  Was written by Maurice o'Sullivan?  I'd love to read it again.  Thanks.

I'm reading "spies among us" by Ira Winkler.  Great stuff.  I've also got "turlough" on the go (albeit slowly) by Brian Keenan.

got the name and author spot on as bearla

Aerlik

Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2009, 11:19:55 PM
I'm reading "spies among us" by Ira Winkler.
Ha ha.

I'm not joking HS.  When I saw the author's name I, too, had a wee tiocfhall ( I mean chuckle).
It's a great read as it exposes the myriad of ways that we are being spied on by everyone from the nerd in the attic to the nerd in the Government agency.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Bod Mor

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 21, 2009, 10:06:24 PM

"Fiche bliain ag Fas" is the book you're talking about Aerlik.....its a great book...if you like it you will love An tOileanach by  Tomás Ó Criomhthain...are you reading it in Irish or Bearla?

BTW There another one called Peig..my mates in the Free State arent that fond of it ;) ;)

I read An tOileanach there last year and it's a great read. Read An béal bocht by Myles na gCopeleen as well, deadly parody of it :)
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Declan

Anyone read John Irving's latest Last Night in Twisted River?
Am in two minds about getting it

Billys Boots

I think Irving's been on a downward slope since Hotel New Hampshire - though I liked Cider House Blues.  For reference purposes, I hated (passionately) the Owen Meany farce. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

5 Sams

Took me a while but I'm slap bang in the middle of reading Star of the Sea . This is my first departure from Joe O'Connor's "Irish Male Abroad" type stuff.

Should have done it earlier...magnificent stuff.....
The Aristocrat Years

Denn Forever

Here is the Movie recommendation.

My Sisters Keeper - 7.5/10 Girlfriend made me watch this for making her sit through so many 'boy films' she reckoned that this will be the film that makes me cry. Although i stayed strong i could feel myself getting emotional at times. Would definitely recommend it, its not a soppy film, but looks at the dilemas a family faces with their little girl dying from cancer.

I read the book and thought it as brilliiant. Written by Jodi Picoult who I foyund later on has written loads.  Must check out more of her books at the library.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

orangeman

HELP NEEDED PLEASE :

I need help in finding a book that I'm interested in reading -

I've no idea of the title -

The story is true life - a man eho has only one son is diagnosed with cancer and has about 12 months to live - in that 12 months he writes to a load of famous people throughout the world and explains his story and he gets all the famous people to write his only son a letter advising him what to do and how to get on with his life as soon as his father dies.

The father gets all these letters back and he puts them in this book, which has been published.

Apparently there are some great letters and the book is a great read.

liihb

Dear Sebastian by Jordan Ferguson....
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

orangeman

Quote from: liihb on January 11, 2010, 01:00:47 PM
Dear Sebastian by Jordan Ferguson....

Appreciate your help.

Have you read it ??