Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Lads, only came across this particular thread now so it might have been mentioned before but anyway... Have any of ye read any of the Jack Reacher series of books by Lee Child?  Very very good read, I think there are about 11 or so of them out at the minute - not a series where you have to start at the begininng I have read 3 or 4 of them now from various stages of the series and it doesn't make a difference... would recommend them to anyone
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: magickingdom on July 01, 2009, 07:36:29 PM
'four iron for the soul' or when i bought it it was called 'it should have been a three iron' by lawrence donegan now guardian golf scribe but former musician (with Leonard cohn). the story of a year (1996) as a caddy on the european tour for ross drummond. i couldn't stop laughing at some of the scenes in the book... brilliant

Donegan may have played with Leonard Cohen but his chief claim to fame is as one of Lloyd Cole's Commotions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sb0VEwF0O0

Zapatista

Just finished Walter Macken's 'The Silent People'. I liked it, it put the recession in perspective.

irunthev

Quote from: Zapatista on July 22, 2009, 08:22:55 AM
Just finished Walter Macken's 'The Silent People'. I liked it, it put the recession in perspective.

I read that book at school and even back then I thought it was a stunning book and it is amazing how many times it springs to mind at various times. It would be fair to say it left an impression on me - and not just from the time Brother Mc sent it flying in my direction.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: irunthev on July 22, 2009, 02:58:35 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 22, 2009, 08:22:55 AM

I read that book at school and even back then I thought it was a stunning book and it is amazing how many times it springs to mind at various times. It would be fair to say it left an impression on me - and not just from the time Brother Mc sent it flying in my direction.

Did anyone else here think that Wind that Shakes the Barley movie was a complete rip-off of Walter Macken's The Scorching Wind?

comeontheredhands

just finished Guernica by dave boling - excellent - based on baque country at time of guernica bombings - easy read - tesco for £3 ish.
on walter macken trilogy - silent people,scorching wind and seek fair land -  i like many others had to read them in years 1-3 in secondary school - hated them then but have since re-read and thoroughly enjoyed them

irunthev

Quote from: comeontheredhands on July 22, 2009, 04:49:28 PM
just finished Guernica by dave boling - excellent - based on baque country at time of guernica bombings - easy read - tesco for £3 ish.
on walter macken trilogy - silent people,scorching wind and seek fair land -  i like many others had to read them in years 1-3 in secondary school - hated them then but have since re-read and thoroughly enjoyed them

I think that statement covers just about anything any of us had to do in secondary school..... both youth and education are wasted on the young.

muppet

Quote from: irunthev on July 22, 2009, 05:25:32 PM
Quote from: comeontheredhands on July 22, 2009, 04:49:28 PM

I think that statement covers just about anything any of us had to do in secondary school..... both youth and education are wasted on the young.

Peig was the exception.
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: irunthev on July 22, 2009, 02:58:35 PM

Did anyone else here think that Wind that Shakes the Barley movie was a complete rip-off of Walter Macken's The Scorching Wind?

Don't know I never read it. It wouldn't have been compulsory reading for the education system in the north. We were stuck with @Across the baricades' and 'Roll of thunder hear my cry' which taught us that as white people we were first class citizens.

I like them stories once in a while but they are very romantic and too much can be a n off put sometimes.  Leon Uris'sTrinity was good too. if you like that humble Irish hero type romance. I do like it but not too much of it.

I've now started on Gulliver's travels just because it was luing around.

Zapatista

Just finished The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe. Loved it. Absolutely brilliant.

Tony Baloney

Strangely enough every man and his dog has a book out in the run up to Xmas. Any tips or recommendations on sports, autobiographies, other populist entertainment books?

WeAreBlueWeAreWhite

how does a dog write a book
AND A BOTTLE OF RITZ FOR ME LAC

tyrone girl

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 02, 2009, 03:22:22 PM
Strangely enough every man and his dog has a book out in the run up to Xmas. Any tips or recommendations on sports, autobiographies, other populist entertainment books?

Tony would ya be into a book about men imprisoned in bangkok - read a deadly book on that - in fact read about 20 but this was by far the best.

Also read recently - though this wont interest 99% of people " Being the Soham psychic" - about your man who helped the wee girl hollies parents - interesting reading.

Bensars

DK DIY manual, £5 at WH Smith reduced from 25.