Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

The books are only going to ever be as good as the story to be told. McGrath's was good because his entire life has been a struggle with race, growing up in homes in dublin, alcohol, injury etc. Compare his story with that of Wayne Rooney or Frank Lampard who have also had books out and you know before you open the cover which is best!

The Iceman

Seen The Road by Cormac McCarthy mentioned here a few times so picked it up there on Sunday and finished it in about 4 hours - I couldn't put it down. Depressing, emotive, inspiring book.  Definitely one of the best I have read for a while and will remember.

Has anyone else read any of the "Twilight" series?
I read the first two and they are actually good.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

5 Sams

Quote from: The Iceman on January 13, 2009, 04:16:56 PM
Seen The Road by Cormac McCarthy mentioned here a few times so picked it up there on Sunday and finished it in about 4 hours - I couldn't put it down. Depressing, emotive, inspiring book.  Definitely one of the best I have read for a while and will remember.

Has anyone else read any of the "Twilight" series?
I read the first two and they are actually good.

There was talk of a movie coming out...can't see how any film could do justice to this book.
The Aristocrat Years

Downcamog

Read the Twilight series over the Christmas break and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Went to see the film also and typically wasn't as good as the book but thought it was o.k.  Believe the whole Twilight thing is massive in the States and the author has become a bit of a celeb.  Currently reading Obama biography - takes a while getting into.  Know it has been said before but 'Kite Runner' one of my favourites and has anyone read the 'Bog Child' by Siobhan Dowd - brilliant!!!

Minder

Has anyone read any of the Bill Bryson books? I bought "The life and times of the thunderbolt kid" today for a bit of light reading on the plane tomorrow as im heading to Disneyland Paris. Anyone read it?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Iceman

powerful book - the man is a genius - very light reading - will definitely make you laugh -still remember his craic about his granny and the licorice babies LOL
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

SidelineKick

Just finishing off Duncan Bannatynes "Anyone Can Do It", fantastic read.  He's a real down to earth man, very normal for the position he is in.  A real good rags to riches story, he came from nowhere, messed about til he was near 30 then decided to make something of himself!  Very enjoyable read.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

The Iceman

Well lads anyone reading or just finished any decent books lately?

Few I have read worth taking a look at:

The Richest Man in Babylon - classic book about personal finance and money management well worth a read during these tough times.

The Little Black Book of Connections - A Gitomer sales guru book - very very to the point! Anything by this guy Gitomer is worth a read.

The Life of Pi - a story of survival - a Indian boy and a tiger on the ocean for over 200 days and he makes it believable!!!! And there is a whole undertone of other themes running through the book - worth a look!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2009, 02:41:10 PM
Has anyone read any of the Bill Bryson books? I bought "The life and times of the thunderbolt kid" today for a bit of light reading on the plane tomorrow as im heading to Disneyland Paris. Anyone read it?

read 'down under' by bill bryson, great read & very funny
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Tony Baloney

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 23, 2009, 07:29:33 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2009, 02:41:10 PM

read 'down under' by bill bryson, great read & very funny
Must say the Thunderbolt Kid hasn't really sucked me in yet. I'm about halfway through but it's a chore. I have Provide You Don't Kiss Me on standby.

mylestheslasher

Just finished "the road" by Cormac McCarthy. A brilliant book but very very sad.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 23, 2009, 07:53:57 PM
Just finished "the road" by Cormac McCarthy. A brilliant book but very very sad.

think its been mentioned a few times before, but rightly so, a really brilliant book
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Oraisteach

Myles, read "The Road" myself, and while it's dark and apocalyptic, I didn't find it as sad as you say.

Just finished "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle"--almost a terrific book.  Beautifully written, moving, and if you like dogs you'll love it.

You're right, Downcamog, over here the "Twilight" series has a rabid female cult following, however the prospect of wading through 100s of pages of Edward and Bella staring endlessly at each other and him glistening just doesn't thrill me.

Tyrones own

Ready, Fire, Aim - Michael Masterson
For those of you in business, especially in this climate!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Oraisteach on March 23, 2009, 09:27:39 PM
Myles, read "The Road" myself, and while it's dark and apocalyptic, I didn't find it as sad as you say.

Just finished "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle"--almost a terrific book.  Beautifully written, moving, and if you like dogs you'll love it.

You're right, Downcamog, over here the "Twilight" series has a rabid female cult following, however the prospect of wading through 100s of pages of Edward  and Bella staring endlessly at each other and him glistening just doesn't thrill me.

Maybe sad isn't the right word. I think the end is extremely sad but with a light chink of light at the very end. Don't think i've ever read anything as dark. It is almost haunting as I find myself thinking about the lessons of the story every now and again.