Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: full back on August 27, 2008, 12:53:33 PM
Am looking for an easy read for the holidays
Any ideas lads?

fb get the book on john gilligan (cant think of its name). i spent a great week on the beach reading it - knowing the tosser was locked up only made it more enjoyable :D another good one is mr nice

Minder

Full Back i know you support United but i dont know if you are interested in football. . . . . . . Read "Provided you dont kiss me - 20 years with Brian Clough " by Duncan Hamilton when i was on holiday. Tremendous.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magickingdom

Quote from: Minder on August 27, 2008, 07:33:12 PM
Full Back i know you support United but i dont know if you are interested in football. . . . . . . Read "Provided you dont kiss me - 20 years with Brian Clough " by Duncan Hamilton when i was on holiday. Tremendous.

heard that was very good. if you want a general american sport book with an irish twist get 'america at large' by george kimball. its a decade of his irish times columns and all proceeds go to temple st childerns hospital. very good read

full back

Cheers magickingdom & minder, will try one or both of them
thanks for the idea hardstation but already read it.....superb ;)

The Iceman

just finished Frank Delaney's Tipperary

have to say it was a slow start but a great book - historical fiction, mostly set in around the time of the easter rising.  Collins and Dev all get a good mention - the main character meets some great characters too - Yeats, Wilde etc., some great fiction around the actual rising and the resulting executions and aftermath throughout the country.  Real action, adventure, bit of comedy and romance thrown in - all in all a good read.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

youngfella

john mc enroe was a good easy read on holidays not much thinking required
Pull hard and early

Denn Forever

Just finished "A fraction of the whole"  A book of epic proportions but a right good read.  Very funny.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

magickingdom

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 25, 2008, 08:21:47 PM
Just finished "A fraction of the whole"  A book of epic proportions but a right good read.  Very funny.

i get it :D but i'd prefer this one

Quote from: youngfella on September 25, 2008, 08:15:50 PM
john mc enroe was a good easy read on holidays not much thinking required

KCGaelicFootball

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 09, 2007, 10:30:59 PM
Just finished the 'Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. Very unusual but touching book.

Where did it touch you ha-ha-ha !!!
ta se mor

give her dixie

"The Power Of One" by Bryce Courtney is my all time favourite.
"First with the head, then with the heart".
Brilliant line
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

muppet

Read almost all of Freakonomics and Krakatoa.

Both excellent.
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Reading Ian Rush's autobiography at the moment..Brings back some great memories
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 01, 2008, 05:19:46 PM
Reading Ian Rush's autobiography at the moment..Brings back some great memories
Read it a few weeks ago LL,its really good for a footballers autobiography anyway.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on October 01, 2008, 05:10:55 PM
Read almost all of Freakonomics and Krakatoa.

Both excellent.

freakenomics was very interesting - read "the tipping point" there a few weeks back - think you would enjoy that if you liked freakenomics
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

5 Sams

Quote from: Minder on August 27, 2008, 07:33:12 PM

Just finished this....brilliant book. Its about a journalist who covered all of Forest's games during their glory years.....in the first chapter he describes his first interview with Clough....Clough's first words to him were..."Who the fcuk are you?" :D :D :o

Highly recommended.
The Aristocrat Years