Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Mack the finger on September 10, 2007, 11:08:56 PM
The road - Cormac McCarthy.

Father and young son in post apocalyptic America.

Short book, short sentences that snap and crackle. Some of it will stay with me a long time.
Long tim since I read a book as good.

Just finished No Country for Old Men Mack...the reviews of the Road are deadly ...probably be my next purchase!
The Aristocrat Years

Minder

Was " No Country for Old Men" good 5Sams? I might buy it today, its only a few quid.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

Excellent Minder....I dunno where you're based but you'll get it for a fiver in the record shop(Zavvi I think....used to be Virgin Records) in the Buttercrane in Newry
The Aristocrat Years

tyrone86

Tell me this lads, what's the verdict on audiobooks? Are they any good or are you better of sticking to the real thing?

Minder

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 07, 2008, 10:18:11 AM
Excellent Minder....I dunno where you're based but you'll get it for a fiver in the record shop(Zavvi I think....used to be Virgin Records) in the Buttercrane in Newry

I work in Lisburn of all places  >:(........I saw it in Waterstones the other day for £4.99 so i will get it today
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JimStynes

Bought a load of books from amazon about 2 months ago:

"Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross" - Excellant book. Gives an account of a german sniper on the eastern front during world war 2. The Russians wher bad bastards.

"Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chamber" Filip Muller - Excellant book. About a fella who worked in the gas chambers in Auschwitz and survived by mixture of luck and by not giving up hope. Its a short enough book but definately worth reading. Shocking from start to finish. Some complete sickos knocking about in those days.

"Bad as I Wanna Be" Dennis Rodman - Good books. The man is a f**king looper, cross dressing and hanging out in gay bars all the time. He has a whole chapter on his relationship to madonna which is interesting enough. I mite buy Madonnas book to get her take on the whole thing with Rodman.

"Band of Brothers" Stephen E. Ambrose - I love the TV series, must have watched the box set 15 times now. The book is just as good. Unreal what them men went through.

"Slaying the Dragon: How to Turn Your Small Steps to Great Feats" Michael Johnson - Not a bibliography, more of a motivational book. If you are after a bibliography on this man then dont buy it but i thought it was excellant and will definately read it again at some stage.

"Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers" - Only starting to read it now but so far so good.

"Drive: the Story of My Life" Larry Bird - Havent started reading it yet.

"My Life" Earvin "Magic" Johnson - Havent started reading it yet.

Anybody know any good war books to read.

ludermor

Jim,
When you bought in amazon did you pay postage on all the books seperate? what is the best way to do this?

5 Sams

Cant beat play.com for books and CDs...all delivered free....dunno how they do it.
The Aristocrat Years

JimStynes

Quote from: ludermor on May 07, 2008, 03:10:48 PM
Jim,
When you bought in amazon did you pay postage on all the books seperate? what is the best way to do this?

Aye, complete f**king bolllocks. Most of the books where under £5 each because they where 2nd hand but the postage cost of ones from america knocked the price up. I think 2 of the books came together from the same place but the others where seperate. I didnt realise that some of the books come from america until they sent the receipt to my email. I knew the price was to good to be true when i seen them on amazon.  When i went to the checkout in amazon it didnt show me any extra postage costs etc so just watch out for it. Saying that if i was to buy the same books from book stores 1st hand they would have cost me 4 times the price. I will have a look through my old emails later to see if i can get you the exact price i paid for each book + postage.

JimStynes

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 07, 2008, 03:16:44 PM
Cant beat play.com for books and CDs...all delivered free....dunno how they do it.

Great site. Ive bought cds and i also bought my playstation 3 off their site last week. It included grand theft auto and cost £300 - free delivery. Every other site i checked either didnt offer the same deal or else it was £20 or £30 more expensive.
I must try them for their books.

ludermor

cheers for that lads, the postage stood out like a sore thumb alright, its still good value but if there better around...

ludermor

just browsing through play.com and came across the far side books by gary larson, forgot about these , i had a load of them in my younger days.

Fluffy Che

JS, coupla recomendations..

War Letters-Andrew Carroll. Self explanatory really, a touching insight into war from yer typical grunt.

The Naked and the Dead-Norman Mailer. Great book, great writer. A fantastic read..
Midnight to Six..

Fishbat

Not sure If they have been mentioned - Pete McCarthy's travel books are great

"McCarthy's Bar" and "The Road to McCarthy" are brilliant - first one is a eejit meetin, stout drinkin, hill walkin traipse from West Cork to Lough Derg.  Trying to find his spiritual home...As he says - never pass a bar with your name on it!  He's great at writing about the situations we have all found ourselves in, and nutters we have all met

2nd one is a similar jaunt only overseas - from meeting the "McCarty Mor" in Tangiers and various other headers - to a tour of NYC on paddies day to Van diemens land and beyond.

Very very funny writer

another in the same vein - "Larkin about in Ireland" by John Larkin (Aussie) - totally different writer who was more bemused by Ireland, i think, than impressed - bit of a sarky git but not too bad either - not in the same league as McCarthy though

Kerry Mike

Pete McCarthy was very funny, have read both his books. Unfortunately his writing skills were cut short when  Pete died in 2004. RIP
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football