Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Donal Ryan. All We Shall Know...vvv good
The Aristocrat Years

BennyCake

Forever Young, the story of Adrian Doherty, the Strabane lad who went to Man Utd. Great read. A total polar opposite you'd expect a footballer to be.

Tony Baloney

New Springsteen autobiography getting good reviews in the papers. One for Christmas.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2016, 11:31:58 PM
Forever Young, the story of Adrian Doherty, the Strabane lad who went to Man Utd. Great read. A total polar opposite you'd expect a footballer to be.

I thought I'd be biased and like the book as there are a number of people I know in it. However I think it stands on it's own two feet as a great book in itself. A real tragic story, but deep down a lot of positivity in it too.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Billys Boots

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 02, 2016, 11:46:03 PM
New Springsteen autobiography getting good reviews in the papers. One for Christmas.

Probably 10% into in (Kindles huh?) but I'm not that impressed so far; would want to pick up smartly or I'll be putting it away.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Just finished reading Middlemarch, five weeks of just wanting to finish it. How it gets so many votes as one of the "must reads" is beyond me?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

BennyCake

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 03, 2016, 05:35:30 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2016, 11:31:58 PM

I thought I'd be biased and like the book as there are a number of people I know in it. However I think it stands on it's own two feet as a great book in itself. A real tragic story, but deep down a lot of positivity in it too.

Did you know Adrian?

Shame what happened injury wise (and of course, with his untimely passing) that finished his time at United. But you wonder even if he had have broke through like the 92 team, would he have just walked away from it all?

I've often thought football is a strange profession. I love my football but I don't think I'd have what it took mentality-wise (or talent-wise) to be a professional as I'm not totally obsessed with it. You'd need to be like that, to play professionally. Or even for your county.

lurganblue

A few weeks ago i finished "the road" by cormac mccarthy.  Surely this is a real marmite book.  Very strangely written and not a single chapter in the book.  Not a lot happens in the book but it paints a great picture of a post apocalyptic world.  I can even empathise with the characters but i still cant bring myself to like the book.

Wouldnt recommend it and have now no interest at all in watching the film.

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on October 06, 2016, 10:14:40 AM
A few weeks ago i finished "the road" by cormac mccarthy.  Surely this is a real marmite book.  Very strangely written and not a single chapter in the book.  Not a lot happens in the book but it paints a great picture of a post apocalyptic world.  I can even empathise with the characters but i still cant bring myself to like the book.

Started that a few months back and gave up after 30 odd pages. Load of crap I thought.

OnTheLine

Quote from: BennyCake on October 06, 2016, 11:22:08 AM

Started that a few months back and gave up after 30 odd pages. Load of crap I thought.
As lurganblue says, marmite. I think it's a harrowing but brilliant book, capturing the desolation and confusion of its setting perfectly. I found it a difficult read, yes, but it is superb and I will reread it - just not yet.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but you're wrong. :-)

Tony Baloney

I'm in the liked it but disturbed by it camp with OnTheLine

Harold Disgracey

I agree with OTL, a harrowing but brilliant book.

I've just finished Kill Your Friends by John Niven, a sort of American Psycho set in the music industry in 90s London.

5 Sams

Read it in one sitting. One of the best books I have ever read. McCarthy is a genius. No interest in the movie..couldnt be as good as the book.
The Aristocrat Years

BarryBreensBandage

Just read 'The Power of the Dog' by Don Winslow - worth every page it is written on.
Winslow researched this book for six years and interviewed families caught up in the Mexican Cartels.
I have seen Narcos and read a bit on the Colombian cartels; these guys were a different level if that is possible.
The Colombians were working for them apparently.
Due to be out as a two part movie called 'The Cartel', I can see why critics want a major TV series as there are so many stories in it, but would strongly recommend reading the book before watching any movie on it.
Very graphic at times, again, based on research.
(The storyline also has an Irish mercenary named Callan, a segment is based in Hell's Kitchen and quotes The Pogues in one of its chapters).
IMO, an exceptional read.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Orior

Just finished the original "Planet of the Apes" by  Pierre Boulle, and written in 1963.

Brilliant - I just couldn't put the book down.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians