Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 21, 2016, 11:49:47 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 21, 2016, 10:47:44 PM
Who would you want covering your back, Joe Pike, Hawk, Windsor Horne Lockwood, III or jack Reacher?
I'll see your Joe Pike and raise with Clete Purcel from the Dave Robicheaux series.

Pete Bondurant would kick all their asses.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 22, 2016, 02:34:22 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 21, 2016, 11:49:47 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on August 21, 2016, 10:47:44 PM
Who would you want covering your back, Joe Pike, Hawk, Windsor Horne Lockwood, III or jack Reacher?
I'll see your Joe Pike and raise with Clete Purcel from the Dave Robicheaux series.

Pete Bondurant would kick all their asses.
I started reading American Trilogy a couple of years ago but quit it early. Will have to go back to it.

Never beat the deeler

Red Dirt by E.M Reapy published earlier this year.

I have to divulge a vested in that I know the author, but I think anyone that has been to Australia as a backpacker will definitely recognise a lot from this book. Rather than post a biased review, the below website gives it 4.1/5 stars from 41 reviews

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27912711-red-dirt
Hasta la victoria siempre

mrdeeds

Started watching Narcos which is excellent. Just wondering if anyone knows a good book about Pablo Escobar?

lurganblue

I recently stumbled across "Scar Tissue" the autobiography by Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Pepper fame.  The book was published in 2006 i believe so hardly new but if you have missed it i would definitely recommend it.  Such a life of highs and lows.  Amazing that he is still alive today.

Also in terms of rock stardom i was shocked at his insecurities when it came to his vocals etc.

Anyway, worth a read.

mouview

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 26, 2016, 12:22:14 PM
Started watching Narcos which is excellent. Just wondering if anyone knows a good book about Pablo Escobar?

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden wasn't bad.

haranguerer

Read Catch 22 on holiday there. Fantastic book - laugh out loud in parts and utterly tragic in others

vallankumous

Quote from: haranguerer on September 14, 2016, 04:03:36 PM
Read Catch 22 on holiday there. Fantastic book - laugh out loud in parts and utterly tragic in others

Really? I thought it dull so put it down.
Will I get past that or is it just not one for me?

Reading Dune : Frank Herbert.
Really brilliant story though he setting is starting to wear on me as it does the characters.

The Subbie

Quote from: vallankumous on September 14, 2016, 09:22:57 PM

Really? I thought it dull so put it down.
Will I get past that or is it just not one for me?

Reading Dune : Frank Herbert.
Really brilliant story though he setting is starting to wear on me as it does the characters.

I found catch 22 static, hard to read and couldn't understand stand the hype about it at all. Is it worth sticks Ng with? I gave up after 100 odd pages

haranguerer

Perhaps it just isn't for yous - having read a bit about it after I finished it has always split people. I would say to give it the chance though. I wasn't aware of the hype until I saw the back cover after I'd started it (found it lying in the house), so maybe wasn't expecting as much initially, but having read it, feel all the hype is completely justified - def up there as one of best books I've read.

The way its written isn't chronological, there are bits later on that tie back in with earlier events, so perhaps moreso than with other books an accurate impression can't be formed til well through it.

The Subbie

Might put it with the stack of "go back and try again" books.

A book I'm looking forward to having just ordered on Amazon is the book about the Jadotville Siege , movie due out on Netflix soon and wanted to read the book before seeing it no doubt desacrated on screen, anyone read it??

Canalman

Have started it a number of times and given up early on . On all the "must read" lists but just never did it for me.

lurganblue

Quote from: The Subbie on September 15, 2016, 10:41:18 AM
Might put it with the stack of "go back and try again" books.

A book I'm looking forward to having just ordered on Amazon is the book about the Jadotville Siege , movie due out on Netflix soon and wanted to read the book before seeing it no doubt desacrated on screen, anyone read it??

only heard of the netflix film being released last week as it was point out to me by the oul fella while he was reading irelands own. i think i'll just wait on the film for this one.

Billys Boots

Quote from: haranguerer on September 15, 2016, 08:54:34 AM
Perhaps it just isn't for yous - having read a bit about it after I finished it has always split people. I would say to give it the chance though. I wasn't aware of the hype until I saw the back cover after I'd started it (found it lying in the house), so maybe wasn't expecting as much initially, but having read it, feel all the hype is completely justified - def up there as one of best books I've read.

The way its written isn't chronological, there are bits later on that tie back in with earlier events, so perhaps moreso than with other books an accurate impression can't be formed til well through it.

Loved it, but it's definitely an acquired taste - know as many people who hate it as love it.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

vallankumous

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 15, 2016, 04:39:44 PM

Loved it, but it's definitely an acquired taste - know as many people who hate it as love it.

Then I won't try it again. Pretty sure i'm in the former category.